HP Reverb G2 and Steam VR

mvs79

Hi

I switched from Rift S to HP Reverb G2.

Do I need to use Steam VR to make VR work in DCS and Reverb G2?

I have DCS installed directly on the computer and not via Steam.

I did not use Steam VR with Rift S, but with Reverb G2 I am not able to get VR to work with DCS.

Reg.

MVS79

a simple search will show you that it does require Steam VR to get DCS to work on a WMR headset (which the G2 is)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

• 3 months later...
47 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

My question is, once I set up the G2 via Steam, do I have to play DCS thru Steam or can I download and play independant of Steam?

No i use the standalone version, but SteamVR is the rendering engine, it is not a native WMR app

No, you do not need to use the Steam DCS you can use DCS Standalone but it needs Windows mixed reality for Steam and Steam VR to be run.

Well that is the way the WMR Headsets work..

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

Am 5.1.2021 um 11:36 schrieb mvs79:

Hi

I switched from Rift S to HP Reverb G2.

Do I need to use Steam VR to make VR work in DCS and Reverb G2?

I have DCS installed directly on the computer and not via Steam.

I did not use Steam VR with Rift S, but with Reverb G2 I am not able to get VR to work with DCS.

Reg.

MVS79

Hey. I’m thinking about to change from rift s to g2 as well. Can you tell me, is it worth it? Is it that good? Many people said, the sweetspot is a Killer and send the g2 back, but Idk wich goggles they had befor. 

what about you? You had the rift s and now the g2. What can you tell me? Do you regret the change or do you approve it? 

thx 😊

46 minutes ago, Steff Bourne said:

Hey. I’m thinking about to change from rift s to g2 as well. Can you tell me, is it worth it? Is it that good? Many people said, the sweetspot is a Killer and send the g2 back, but Idk wich goggles they had befor. 

what about you? You had the rift s and now the g2. What can you tell me? Do you regret the change or do you approve it? 

thx 😊

I went from Rift S to Reverb G2 and love it.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I also went  Rift S --> G2 and love it, not going back. 

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

8 hours ago, Steff Bourne said:

thx 😊

I also went from the S to the G2. As others have said the short answer is: yes - it's worth it, but with some qualifiers. The display is brighter and hands down better, despite the smaller sweet spot, and a VR Cover option will give you slightly better FOV. However, the WMR software is a pain and you're going to miss the more simple open-minimize-and-forget Occulus software. You're also, at some point, likely going to have a speaker that gets a static problem and the early G2's had a dodgy cable with a high failure rate (you're OK buying new, but careful of the cable if buying used). Controllers and tracking are also worse than the S if you play non-sim games. Finally, and this is particularly relevant to DCS, make sure you have a powerful GPU to power it. A pretty display is useless if you have no frames. Hope that helps; tried to give you a balanced view.

Edited by Patersonski

Rig: i7-6850K, Sapphire 6900XT, 32GB RAM, Asus X99-Pro board.  Gear: VPC WarBRD/MongoosT-50 Stick, VPC MongoosMT-50 Throttle, VKB T-Rudders Mk.IV Pedals, HP Reverb G2.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb =Panther=:

I also went  Rift S --> G2 and love it, not going back. 

Thank you for the feedback. 

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Patersonski:

I also went from the S to the G2. As others have said the short answer is: yes - it's worth it, but with some qualifiers. The display is brighter and hands down better, despite the smaller sweet spot, and a VR Cover option will give you slightly better FOV. However, the WMR software is a pain and you're going to miss the more simple open-minimize-and-forget Occulus software. You're also, at some point, likely going to have a speaker that gets a static problem and the early G2's had a dodgy cable with a high failure rate (you're OK buying new, but careful of the cable if buying used). Controllers and tracking are also worse than the S if you play non-sim games. Finally, and this is particularly relevant to DCS, make sure you have a powerful GPU to power it. A pretty display is useless if you have no frames. Hope that helps; tried to give you a balanced view.

thx for the detailed answer 😊. Yeah now I have definitely a good view on it thanks a lot. 

as quick counter point, after playing with WMR a few times i havent actually touched it since it was last updated mostly to check a few settings...  WMR is mostly transparent after you have it set up you just forget about it as a "thing"

Hey Guys. 

you helped me very well with the decision to buy e G2. 

I have a last question. Amazon sell‘s the Reverb G2 with and without controllers. How necessary are the controllers, for only playing Dcs. Do I need them in some situations, or can I play without disadvantages? 

thx Guy‘s 😊

if all you are playing is DCS, then i suspect you can get away without them, but it will likely limit your resale value of r the future and your options for other games 

9 minutes ago, Steff Bourne said:

Hey Guys. 

you helped me very well with the decision to buy e G2. 

I have a last question. Amazon sell‘s the Reverb G2 with and without controllers. How necessary are the controllers, for only playing Dcs. Do I need them in some situations, or can I play without disadvantages? 

thx Guy‘s 😊

I don't touch them for dcs. But get them so that you can play Half Life Alyx 🙂

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

vor 41 Minuten schrieb speed-of-heat:

if all you are playing is DCS, then i suspect you can get away without them, but it will likely limit your resale value of r the future and your options for other games 

Good point thx. 

vor 41 Minuten schrieb unlikely_spider:

😄👌🏻 Roger that. Thx 

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

I second that.

I have played a few games with the controllers here and there and very glad I have them.

Yeah Half Life Alyx is a must, best made for VR game - ever. 

I personally am also a big fan of Medal of Honor Above and Beyond.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It is good to have the controllers to try some other games.  Helps you see what the G2 can do with optimized VR games.  I enjoy BeatSaber as a diversion.  AirCar is free on Steam and is a great VR experience to show off your G2.

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.