Some questions to supercarrier users

bkthunder

Hi all, and Happy New Year! 

I don’t own the SC but I might be getting it depending on a few things. I watched videos, read the forums etc and I have a general understanding, but some very key points for me are not clear, so I ask you: 

- do you get correct IFLOLS indications for the F-14? That means, the IFLOLS is adjusted to the specific aircraft to allow a correct glide slope and a 3 wire with a centered ball. 

- does the ICLS match the IFLOLS? I.e. centered needles = centered ball

- is the catapult end-speed correct for different GW and different aircraft? How do you communicate / verify the GW before the cat launch? 

- Does the carrier pitch and bank in heavy seas? 

- is the deck sliding issue (with pitching deck) fixed? 

Thanks! 

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

No, F-14 uses currently Hornet settings for H/E and IFLOLS.

No, afaik.

It's done automatically currently - no user input i spossible.

Yes.

Basically, yes, afaik.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

I found landing the SC to be abit more challenging than on the original Stennis but that may have been because I was focusing too much on the glide slope indicator. It became a much bigger habit in the F-14 than the Hornet as well. Not to hijack but what other features still remain to be implemented for the SC as I'm considering grabbing it as well after the free trial?

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

-3D modelling wise: Airboss station/briefing room

-Glowing sticks for the crew at night

-CVN-74

Functionality wise:

-Manual control of the deck lights ansld IFLOLS cut lights 

-MOVLAS (a backup meatball that is manually controlled by the LSO) 

-Bolter radio procedures

-AI crew giving taxi instructions to cat/from the landing area

Edited by sLYFa

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

On 1/7/2021 at 3:44 PM, bkthunder said:

Thanks.. pretty disappointed about the IFLOLS and ICLS, I'll pass for now 😞

That's actually realistic. Since the ICLS and IFLOS systems are not mounted in the exact same location on the ship, they are not coincident for the entire approach. It is realistic and expected that they should diverge as you get in close, which is why preference is always given to the ball once you're visual on it. 

We'll also be getting the ACLS needles at some point, which will add another HUD indicator for approach position. 

On 1/8/2021 at 7:11 PM, pete_auau said:

I take  the  sc  over  the old  carriers any  day of the  week,  for  the  launch,   red/green /orange  flashing  light  at the  rear plus  the  deck  crew

Yeah! So will I.  I have not found any carrier in any other sim even near what DCS is working on here.  I do have a question too... The Carrier Guide manual says press LSHIFT-CONTROL+S to visit the Hanger? But this does nothing nd no inside hanger.  Anyone advise?  I also asked a guy who does really decent reviews on U2be. I asked him if he would do some of his Case I and Case II vids on the new carrier. He said maybe when they finish it.  So... will elevators actually move up and down and transport jets and planes? Is this SC a work in progress like other jets and projects?

2 hours ago, DragonFlySlayer said:

Yeah! So will I.  I have not found any carrier in any other sim even near what DCS is working on here.  I do have a question too... The Carrier Guide manual says press LSHIFT-CONTROL+S to visit the Hanger? But this does nothing nd no inside hanger.  Anyone advise?  I also asked a guy who does really decent reviews on U2be. I asked him if he would do some of his Case I and Case II vids on the new carrier. He said maybe when they finish it.  So... will elevators actually move up and down and transport jets and planes? Is this SC a work in progress like other jets and projects?

for  the elevators  to move  up  and  down   you need  to  park on the  deck  and  have  12  or  more  ai  aircraft  to  land  than  you  will  see  the  elevator   go up  and  down  since  done  this  myself  to see  how  they  work   those  control;s  you mentioned  in my  set  up  controls  the  salute option

Edited by pete_auau

On 1/12/2021 at 4:39 AM, DragonFlySlayer said:

Hangar deck is WIP but the insides are there as you can take a peek in F9 or F2 view with the right angles. Elevators are not for the players to ride on. IRL only the ground crew moves the aircraft when no pilot is in the cockpit. There's plenty of vids of Case I, II and III already, ex.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t-GGqEj1IY

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Well.. I tried it again, Case II. From 21 miles out I hear "Switch Approach. What's that?   Then 10 miles out I check in. Come in straight... no opportunity to call the ball after ILS and TACAN and needles are perfect.. Where's the LSO?  If I land I'll get "No communication no grade, I bolted through like Dhuntman was talking abut, circle around, Get a switch approach message again... I choose "Commencing anyway"... I land without any LSO directive or call the ball opportunity...and I get a grade.

Am I doing something wrong? Maybe if I create my own mission it will respond differently?

Case I's I get no problems. Case II and III I seem to have radio issues. What am I doing wrong. I have been reading. Maybe I am on a wrong radio channel? 

5 hours ago, DragonFlySlayer said:

Maybe I am on a wrong radio channel?

Not likely since you get ATC responses. You've been answered in another post - please don't cross-post.

19 hours ago, DragonFlySlayer said:

From 21 miles out I hear "Switch Approach. What's that? 

It's Marshall handing you off to the approach controller.  At that point, open the comms menu and you'll see a "check in" option.  Use it. 

In order, for a case II / case III approach, you need to make all these calls.  If you skipv any or get them out of order, you will break the sequence and have no proper comms (use the manual to know when to make each of these calls) :

1.  Inbound

2. Established

3. Commencing

4. Check in

5. Platform

If you do them in order, you'll hear additional automated calls to fly bullseye, say your needles, approaching glide slope etc., culminating in being told to call the ball at 3/4 mile.