Aim54 MSL Condition Warning

Skarp

I'm not sure but I don't think there are any effects for overheated Phoenixes modeled in the DCS Tomcat. I have never tested it though and always put the liquid cooling on as required.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well what needs cooling? I’ve always wondered that. I can understand the sidewinders with their seeker, but for the Phoenix it’s radar guided and self guided by radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

22 minutes ago, Eagle7907 said:

Well what needs cooling? I’ve always wondered that. I can understand the sidewinders with their seeker, but for the Phoenix it’s radar guided and self guided by radar.

A radar is using a lot of energy and hence generating a lot of heating I would assume.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I can understand cooling for the radar on the jet, but really? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but judging how wacky the 54s fly and miss.....I don’t know.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Its in the manual, missiles require prep and cooling before they are ready to launch. There are even loadout restrictions (In Real Life, in dcs they are allowed for some reason), like you cant have 54 on rear belly rails if you dont have front 54 loaded, as coolant flows from front to back.

5 minutes ago, The_Tau said:

Its in the manual, missiles require prep and cooling before they are ready to launch. There are even loadout restrictions (In Real Life, in dcs they are allowed for some reason), like you cant have 54 on rear belly rails if you dont have front 54 loaded, as coolant flows from front to back.

You can for sure as long as the front pallets are still loaded. Without the front pallets and the coolant fairings you can't have the glove phoenixes either IRL but this is difficult to implement in DCS as it is.

2 minutes ago, The_Tau said:

Ah so u can have 2 54 and 6 Mk 83s on the belly? 😛 Sweet

Technically yes. The coolant system for the phoenixes are in the fairings in front of the forward pallets. IIRC there was at first another version of those fairings without the coolant systems which made them much smaller, without the bulge. But eventually it was decided that the aerodynamic advantage of the smaller ones for non-phoenix use wasn't enough to warrant keeping them and ofc those pallets weren't really used for A/G stuff until much later on anyway IRL.