Video: F-5E (2x AIM-9P) vs. JF-17 (2x SD-10 and 2x PL-5EII)

Doc3908

A few weeks ago, I challenged myself to defeat various opponents (F-14, F-15, F-16) armed with long- and short-range missiles using the good old F-5E. In essence, it came down to defeating the AIM-120Cs and AIM-54A/Cs. Once close enough, the F-5 can hold its own (at least against "veteran" AI). This time, I opted for a different challenge - defeating the mighty SD-10 fired at relatively close range (14nm and 7.5nm) by a JF-17. Turns out, the SD-10 was not my biggest worry: The PL-5EII, fired at 2.5-3nm is apparently more deadly than the AIM-9M/AIM-9X (at least as modeled in DCS). In about 10 engagements, I was never shot down by an SD-10 - not once. But I got killed 6 times by the PL-5EII. I did manage to win 4 engagements. Two of them are in the video below. Any hints on how to defeat PL-5Es fired at close range are very much appreciated.

Doc

• Like 1

Great flying, I’ve really got to get better at keeping my speed up the way you do. I always tend to get slow in the Tiger.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

18 hours ago, kengou said:

Great flying, I’ve really got to get better at keeping my speed up the way you do. I always tend to get slow in the Tiger.

Thanks. It only works because the AI (even at "veteran" level) flies stupidly. A human player wouldn't waste his second SD-10 like this, but probably close the distance further for a rear aspect shot. Or send a heatseaker up my tailpipe from close range. The JF-17 has every possible advantage in terms of speed, climb rate, sustained turn rate, weapons, etc. In multiplayer, this type of foolishness will never happen. For me, the more interesting (and surprising aspect) was that the SD-10 looses velocity so rapidly. The Jeff fires it initially at 14miles away at mach 3+. The second shot is from 7.8miles away. At this range, how can the SD-10 go from mach 3+ to less than mach 0.5 in just a few miles (regardless of what the target is doing)? I want to try putting the JF-17 up high so he can fire the SD-10 at even higher velocity (mach 5+ at 35K altitude) and see how quickly the missile will travel by the time it comes down. I may try later today and post another video. It's all in good fun, though - unlike others on this forum, I don't take this sim (nor myself) too seriously. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

At this range, how can the SD-10 go from mach 3+ to less than mach 0.5 in just a few miles

We would be here all day and face forum bans if we posted what we thought. There are threads galore about it in the JF-17 forum.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

One tip I can share.

I make sure to flip up the FLARE JETTISON cover and have the jettison switch binded to my hotas.

When the IR missile is coming your way, you close the throttle - manouver and dump every flare in one go. It is not the perfect solution, but against modern IR missiles you will only get one chance (if that). No need to conserve them, worry about flare count later. Flying with max flares and 0 chaff should get you a pretty good defence when you jettison in close. A cloud of heat. Tried and tested many times on the Just Dogfight multiplayer server, it really helps surviving the merge.

Edited by Schmidtfire

On 1/19/2021 at 5:38 PM, Schmidtfire said:

One tip I can share.

I make sure to flip up the FLARE JETTISON cover and have the jettison switch binded to my hotas.

When the IR missile is coming your way, you close the throttle - manouver and dump every flare in one go. It is not the perfect solution, but against modern IR missiles you will only get one chance (if that). No need to conserve them, worry about flare count later. Flying with max flares and 0 chaff should get you a pretty good defence when you jettison in close. A cloud of heat. Tried and tested many times on the Just Dogfight multiplayer server, it really helps surviving the merge.

Yes, I tend to manually drop single flares instead of dumping them in clusters. And I keep forgetting to cut the throttle. Live and learn...

21 hours ago, glide said:

Nice work!  Drop out of afterburner, turn 90 degrees to the incoming missile and pop flares.  You have to keep your head on swivel mode with IR missiles, so watch and anticipate.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!! I definitely need much more practice! 🙂