PSA: Disable Platform Shake on your Server

Shadow KT

I just found out that the "Platform Shake" checkmark, found in the Special tab for CA, is first of all... awesome (when disabled) and a second thing, server enforced.

It might make vehicles with no stabilizers a bit overperforming, but in general the pros are a lot bigger.

The stabilizers on vehicles, which have such... actually stabilize... who would have guessed! Who would have thought, that you can shoot at something when moving faster than 5 MPH... I know, right ?

It completely removes this unrealistic and buggy body roll at speed, which all vehicles have. At speed, it just looks like your vehicle is twerking, from side to side, when shake is On.

@Alpenwolf

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Yeah the suspension modelling in DCS at the moment (even for the newest vehicles) is completely backwards - tracks and wheels stay essentially flat, and the hull of the vehicle just bobs around randomly, with a speed dependent magnitude.

On the more legacy vehicles (which is essentially all of them apart from the WWII assets and a few others) it isn't animated properly, meaning you will see idler wheels, drive sprockets and return rollers, move independently from the hull when they absolutely shouldn't (apart from rotate obviously) - in some cases the top portion of the track clips through the hull (even if briefly - such as the T-72B obr. 1985) or through the road wheels (which is something that happens in the ZSU-57-2).

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

@Shadow KTThanks for the report, I'll definitely check that!

@Northstar98Ok suspension is bad but I think we should first focus on getting from point A to point B without getting stuck or by driving at 226km/h with a HUMVEE in the first place! (I got pictures...). Although for the speed, DCS not being played competitively with CA I don't see a big balance issue and it's useful sometimes to "teleport" somewhere eh.

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

18 minutes ago, Madone said:

@Northstar98Ok suspension is bad but I think we should first focus on getting from point A to point B without getting stuck or by driving at 226km/h with a HUMVEE in the first place! (I got pictures...). Although for the speed, DCS not being played competitively with CA I don't see a big balance issue and it's useful sometimes to "teleport" somewhere eh.

Well, the thread was about platform shake, which essentially turns on DCS' suspension modelling...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

@Northstar98true that. Suspensions are so stiff that I don't feel they exist. My point is that it's a great fix for driving first person but the big problem with movement is with vehicles that just won't move where we want them both AI or player. 

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat