Compass NPP how accurate is in game?

I often read that mig 21 got magnetic compass and you have to take magnetic variation into your calculations,
yet today me and my mate was on ift training with rsbn training, and to be honest whenever i took magnetic variation in calc, we just roll into a grass next to airport. 

Example airport True bearing 040 (caucas so about 6East) so 036 and boom without cheating (we train in VFR conditions) we really never make on strip. we test two of them tho. 
Then we tried to just screw it and go for True bearings, and everything was smooth and accurate.
Looks like theres no Magnetic variations, not to mention about magnetic deviation. 

Edited by MadJiitensha

The Fishbed's HSI shows true heading. 

IRL there is a gauge that lets you set a magnetic variation, basically a heading offset for your heading gyro, so DCS kinda simulates you having dialed in the local magvar. This is true to life AFAIK since the real Mig-21bis manual mentions all nav calculation to performed with true headings

• Like 4

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

On 1/5/2021 at 4:00 PM, sLYFa said:

The Fishbed's HSI shows true heading. 

IRL there is a gauge that lets you set a magnetic variation, basically a heading offset for your heading gyro, so DCS kinda simulates you having dialed in the local magvar. This is true to life AFAIK since the real Mig-21bis manual mentions all nav calculation to performed with true headings

Yeah, same with the L-39 and I think even the Yak-52 and Mi-8 have a control panel (I think known as GMC) where you dial in a latitude, which sets up the HSI to reference true north.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, F-16CM, AJS-37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, P-47D, P-51D, FC3, MiG-15bis, Yak-52, CA, C-101, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mBG4dD

Russians fly in far northern latitudes a lot, so it makes sense for them to use true rather than magnetic, since magnetic variation can be very large in those areas. That's probably also the reason why RSBN and PRMG use true heading.