Sudden 100% GPU usage ramp up

Vitralette

Hello everybody!

First time posting and it’s gonna be a long one. I am currently chasing the elusive VR Dragon and my adventures lead into a dark and damp cave. So I stand before you in hopes of illumination of the colorless fog surrounding my problem.  

I am using the Quest 2 via Link. I don’t need high environmental graphics, but what I do need are stable 45ASW frames and a readable cockpit. After extensive optimization I made DCS run beautifully. So, problem solved for single player I guess – lets make multiplayer work next.

And this is where the problem starts. Of the bat the performance is still great. 45ASW stable at 60-70% utilization, so there is plenty headroom. But after a variable amount of time spend on the server (1h / 30min / 10min) the GPU utilization suddenly ramps up to 100% (step-input like) and will stay there for no apparent reason. FPS drop to anywhere between 10-20. GPU will stay pinned even after leaving the server. Only after closing DCS will the GPU return to “normal” behavior. Returning to the server will yield another 10-30min of perfectly smooth flying until it hits the wall again.

In a thread discussing importance of VRAM @Hawkeye_UK posted a paragraph where he pretty much describes exactly what I am experiencing here. He describes it as a function of respawing, changing aircrafts or opening F10. Tho it does seem like those action accelerate the occurrence of the GPU going up in flames I also experience this by just flying a single airframe. After 10-30mins BOOM 100% GPU, Game Over.

I tried virtually everything I could dig up – but the bottom line is no matter how low I turn the graphics this behavior will still occur. Tested on low (~5 player) and high population servers (~15-32 players).

So this is more or less a sanity check for me. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if there is something that can be done about this (e.g. getting more VRAM ) or if this is known and accepted behavior.

System Specs

CPU                        Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz

GPU                       ASUS GeForce RTX3070 Dual | 1980MHz | GDDR-7000MHz | 8GB

RAM                       G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200-CL16 | 32GB

SSD                        SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 | 3.5GB/s

HMD                      Oculus Quest 2 | Oculus Link USB 3.0 | ASW 45fps forced | 5408x2736

DCS Settings

Unbenannt.PNGUnbenannt2.PNG

Nvidia Settings

Unbenannt3.PNG

Unbenannt5.PNG

Unbenannt4.PNG

Oculus Link Settings

Unbenannt6.PNG

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

ASUS GeForce RTX3070 Dual | 1980MHz | 8GB GDDR6  

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200-CL16 | 32GB   

Oculus Quest 2

F/A-18C Hornet | UH-1H Huey

Just a thought, is your gpu down clocking ? Temperature? What Ali other cpu processes?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

vor 43 Minuten schrieb speed-of-heat:

Just a thought, is your gpu down clocking ? Temperature? What Ali other cpu processes?

GPU and CPU keep their frequencies all the way. I checked if any other processes are snatching resources but unfortunatly no luck. Set the priority class of DCS.exe and OVRServer_64.exe to high via ProcessLasso just to be save. Didn't do anything. Temps are toasty but nothing out of the ordinary. GPU will go as high as 70°C when pinned at 100% while CPU is hovering around 50-60°C at a load between 50-70%. But in case the frequencies reported in Afterburner are a lie I checked for thermal throttling, power limit throttling and current limit throttling via Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Stress Test. Nothing to be found. 

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

• Vitralette changed the title to Quest 2 Oculus Link Multiplayer - Sudden GPU usage ramp up
Hello everybody!
First time posting and it’s gonna be a long one. I am currently chasing the elusive VR Dragon and my adventures lead into a dark and damp cave. So I stand before you in hopes of illumination of the colorless fog surrounding my problem.  

I am using the Quest 2 via Link. I don’t need high environmental graphics, but what I do need are stable 45ASW frames and a readable cockpit. After extensive optimization I made DCS run beautifully. So, problem solved for single player I guess – lets make multiplayer work next.

And this is where the problem starts. Of the bat the performance is still great. 45ASW stable at 60-70% utilization, so there is plenty headroom. But after a variable amount of time spend on the server (1h / 30min / 10min) the GPU utilization suddenly ramps up to 100% (step-input like) and will stay there for no apparent reason. FPS drop to anywhere between 10-20. GPU will stay pinned even after leaving the server. Only after closing DCS will the GPU return to “normal” behavior. Returning to the server will yield another 10-30min of perfectly smooth flying until it hits the wall again.

In a thread discussing importance of VRAM Hawkeye_UK posted a paragraph where he pretty much describes exactly what I am experiencing here. He describes it as a function of respawing, changing aircrafts or opening F10. Tho it does seem like those action accelerate the occurrence of the GPU going up in flames I also experience this by just flying a single airframe. After 10-30mins BOOM 100% GPU, Game Over.

I tried virtually everything I could dig up – but the bottom line is no matter how low I turn the graphics this behavior will still occur. Tested on low (~5 player) and high population servers (~15-32 players).

So this is more or less a sanity check for me. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me if there is something that can be done about this (e.g. getting more VRAM ) or if this is known and accepted behavior.

System Specs
CPU                        Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz
GPU                       ASUS GeForce RTX3070 Dual | 1980MHz | GDDR-7000MHz | 8GB
RAM                       G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200-CL16 | 32GB
SSD                        SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 | 3.5GB/s
HMD                      Oculus Quest 2 | Oculus Link USB 3.0 | ASW 45fps forced | 5408x2736

DCS Settings
Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.9170d1e8fab3cff981835a580a88bf81.PNGUnbenannt2.thumb.PNG.82764be7044d9d97fd169ddb71937315.PNG

Nvidia Settings
Unbenannt3.PNG.b63167bc82bc8e485720ff7190407812.PNG
Unbenannt5.PNG.3a3203688963ef64a2ae6aebf7f95510.PNG
Unbenannt4.PNG.1bd893111babfc790f695be2ce13806f.PNG

Oculus Link Settings
Unbenannt6.PNG.743d14cdff68f4c0d6a8090fbe436f33.PNG

Your link settings are crazy...try to lower to 1.3
You have a pretty powerful GPU, but raising the rendering resolution raise also the VRAM usage....and your car md is pretty poor in that department for this kind of usage

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽 Meta Quest 3  🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, F-15EX Throttle, MFG Crosswinds v3, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I also tested all the way down to 1.0 @ 72Hz = 3616x1840. Same behavior.

Interestingly the amount of VRAM used (not allocated) stays the same. After a couple of minutes it will be maxed out of course 8/8Gb but that doesnt trigger the 100% GPU issue. VRAM will stay maxed in singleplayer indefinetly without any issues. My first thought was that the issue occurs when VRAM is full and shared dedicated memory kicks in. But since the VRAM is filled up instantly and the frame crash happens much later this didnt make much sense to me?

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

Try dropping the rendering resolution in your link settings to 1.0.

And in nvidia pre rendered frames to 1 from 4, four will be very laggy any way. You can improve your cockpit quality by switching texture filtering quality, from quality to performance, it’s a misunderstood setting, by almost everyone (and pretty counter intuitive).

re VRAM usage, you might be experiencing a difference between allocation and usage, what we see reported i allocation requested, the effect you are seeing may be as a result of usage exceeding allocation.that said, I really have no idea just guessing.  I would expect other people to be experiencing the same problem if that were true. Though Hawkeye does note similar symptoms, in his explanation it seems to be related to f10 map? 

you may want to try speaking to @Hawkeye_UKand seeing if he found a way through his experience/symptoms?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

vor 4 Stunden schrieb speed-of-heat:

Try dropping the rendering resolution in your link settings to 1.0.

And in nvidia pre rendered frames to 1 from 4, four will be very laggy any way. You can improve your cockpit quality by switching texture filtering quality, from quality to performance, it’s a misunderstood setting, by almost everyone (and pretty counter intuitive).

re VRAM usage, you might be experiencing a difference between allocation and usage, what we see reported i allocation requested, the effect you are seeing may be as a result of usage exceeding allocation.that said, I really have no idea just guessing.  I would expect other people to be experiencing the same problem if that were true. Though Hawkeye does note similar symptoms, in his explanation it seems to be related to f10 map? 

you may want to try speaking to @Hawkeye_UKand seeing if he found a way through his experience/symptoms?

Thanks, will try your suggestions and I just figured out how to tag someone 😅.

I played around with Nvidia setttings quite a bit but never were able to see any real difference regarding visual quality or performance, not enough at least to rule out placebo.

Prior to the 100%GPU wall these settings run perfectly smooth on my system, no lag no stutter no frame drops.

I mainly set those based on guides I found online by vr4dcs and Lukas S. / Wolta                             

and then dialed almost all of them back to default for testing.

Next I will have a look at the guides you posted for 3090G2 and 1080Ti, havent seen them befor and looks to be some good information!

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

not sure how much help any of them will be with your particular problem as it seems to have "happened"  suddenly , maybe HPET will help ...  fingers crossed for you ... sorry Oculus is not my "milieu"... 

vor 36 Minuten schrieb speed-of-heat:

not sure how much help any of them will be with your particular problem as it seems to have "happened"  suddenly , maybe HPET will help ...  fingers crossed for you ... sorry Oculus is not my "milieu"... 

HPET is turned off.

Regarding the VR Shader MOD by Kegetys - Initially I used it with great results, as you are also recommending it in your guide I was wondering if there is a version which passes IC which im not aware of, or are you only playing single player or servers without IC ?

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

14 minutes ago, Vitralette said:

HPET is turned off.

Regarding the VR Shader MOD by Kegetys - Initially I used it with great results, as you are also recommending it in your guide I was wondering if there is a version which passes IC which im not aware of, or are you only playing single player or servers without IC ?

the IC Pass variant is not as performant as many of the components of the shader mod are removed ... but its still a marginal improvement 

• Thanks 1

This post looks similar to this issue Major, Sudden FPS Drop

I never thought about it but yes I was always testing in the Hornet, and of course in MP the amount of missiles in the air is way higher then most SP missions.

But then again the framerate seems to return to normal after exiting mission/server which it does not for me 🧐

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

Ok thanks for the pm, just opened so just literally a 2 minute reply until get free later.

When your game grinds to a halt have you tired lifting the visor and just open task manager, anything to make DCS not the active window?  Once you put the headset on again does this solve your issues.  It works for me now 80% to 90% of the time.

I'm still tracking through the problem but note there is some type of F10 map memory leak that can on occasion halve the fps.  Especially true if used tac command.  Quite often opening another process and returning back into the game acter your GPU using drops right down with the headset off clears it and you return  back to 40 or 45 fps depending on headset.   I've become a master of MP inflight wing levels level headset off and back on again whilst I open another app lol.

Note I have using VR for 5 years DK1, CV1, Rift S, Vive and G2.  Note I'm back on the Rift S as the G2 has failed after less than a week of use and locked like many others on 4-1.  What is the Q2 lkke visually inside does anyone know compared to Rift S with say bit rate at 300 to 500 and Pd say 1.2 to 1.4 if needed.  I'm preparing to sell my sole to facebook given the G2 issues I've had its about to be sent back. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Hawkeye_UK:

Ok thanks for the pm, just opened so just literally a 2 minute reply until get free later.

When your game grinds to a halt have you tired lifting the visor and just open task manager, anything to make DCS not the active window?  Once you put the headset on again does this solve your issues.  It works for me now 80% to 90% of the time.

I'm still tracking through the problem but note there is some type of F10 map memory leak that can on occasion halve the fps.  Especially true if used tac command.  Quite often opening another process and returning back into the game acter your GPU using drops right down with the headset off clears it and you return  back to 40 or 45 fps depending on headset.   I've become a master of MP inflight wing levels level headset off and back on again whilst I open another app lol.

Note I have using VR for 5 years DK1, CV1, Rift S, Vive and G2.  Note I'm back on the Rift S as the G2 has failed after less than a week of use and locked like many others on 4-1.  What is the Q2 lkke visually inside does anyone know compared to Rift S with say bit rate at 300 to 500 and Pd say 1.2 to 1.4 if needed.  I'm preparing to sell my sole to facebook given the G2 issues I've had its about to be sent back. 

Yes I get the same behavior but only ~50% of the time this trick actually works for me.

Half the time when I tab out and back in I get the frames back, half the time it still is stuck until restart. I was under the impression that if DCS is not the active window I get the little notification onscreen. Maybe this notification is unreliable? I did check if any other processes are robbing resources but not if they are stealing the active windows status. Is there any other way to monitor this?

The Quest 2 is my first personal (consumer) HMD but I've extensive experience with the Varjo XR-1 used for flight simulation due to my work.

So I can't give you a comparison against the Rift S but I can give you a comparison against the Ferrari of VR/MR (at least it was until the XR-3 came out about a month ago).

First of, when it comes to the Q2 pixel density > 1 is not a relevant parameter anymore (for my system at least). When running at native resolution the quality in the sweetspot is stunning. To achieve native resolution (3664x1920) in the sweetspot you will need to set render resolution to 5408x2736 (due to lense barrel distortion). This is the most confusing part about the Q2 setup because most people think setting the slider to x1.7 (=5408x2736) is a supersampling multiplier, which it isnt. This Tweet by Volga Aksoy explaines this. So if your systems is able to run 1:1 app-to-display pixel ratio (PD = 1.0) you are already getting a crystal clear image, no need for supersampling. This is also the reason I never considered the G2. Spending alot of money on high res panels which I'm probably never be able to properly drive doesn't sound appealing to me. Regarding bitrate: I personally leave at 150 because I never encountered any noticable compression artifacts. But you could crank it up to 500. I never saw any difference.

Compared to the eye-wateringly expensive "human eye resolution in sweet-spot" of the XR-1:

Has the XR-1 higher resolution? Yes.

Much better? No.

Is there a "oh my god this is amazing compared to Q2" in the XR-1? No.

Has the XR-1 a better FOV? Same.

Price to Performance? Q2 blows everything else on the market out of the water (price being your soul I guess)

So to say I am impressed with the Q2 would be an understatement. Ontop of Oculus Link providing a brilliant PCVR experience due to ASW support (unless you are struggling with DCS quirks ofcourse), you also can use it in wireless mode via Virtual Desktop which works flawlessly (e.g. Half Life Alyx). Though this may not be of any interrest to you if you are only looking for a device for seated simulation. But to me this is an immense feature. I am certain that wireless VR is the short term future, once Virtual Desktop is able to add ASW or a similar technology into the mix.

Let me know if you want to know any other specifics regarding the Q2 🙂

Edited by Vitralette
  • Like 1

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

Today I was able to fly for 30 minutes on a MP server with about 10 players. Everything went smooth. After landing I restarted DCS in order to see if I could reproduce the problem or if I would get another clean run. Unfortunately the problem was right back the second time around. Same server same amout of players. After 10min I hit the GPU wall as described in the inital post. Good thing about that is that I can now provide some data.

First Run - Solid 45fps for 30min (on MP server with ~10 players)

Run1.png

Second Run - Hitting the wall after about 10min (same server as Run 1)

Run2.png

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

Excellent - thanks for the feedback about the Q2.  Sounds promising and just looking for something that will get me away from the nightmare that is the G2, non existent customer service with HP and yet give me a boost towards the clarity i briefly saw on my G2 prior to it breaking after a few hours of use!

As for the GPU spike - so i find if i actually open task manager, just another application so that DCS is not the priority window and you have forced the pc to open something else then close it and go back it clears quite often the jam.

Its most annoying, i really perceive its related to the F10 map even if you have been in it prior to being in the cockpit.  But whatever something somewhere is causing the memory GPU  leak and its highly likely your system.  I sometimes think somehow although not displaying it its still thinking about the internal hanger that we see in the background.  God alone knows why the dev's have not given us an option to completely not have this scene.  Most users do not even want this in the background - just a better sized map and black background with no model would be fine.

One last check you don't have winwing software running do you?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

• Vitralette changed the title to Sudden GPU usage ramp up
Am 6.1.2021 um 00:34 schrieb Hawkeye_UK:

Excellent - thanks for the feedback about the Q2.  Sounds promising and just looking for something that will get me away from the nightmare that is the G2, non existent customer service with HP and yet give me a boost towards the clarity i briefly saw on my G2 prior to it breaking after a few hours of use!

As for the GPU spike - so i find if i actually open task manager, just another application so that DCS is not the priority window and you have forced the pc to open something else then close it and go back it clears quite often the jam.

Its most annoying, i really perceive its related to the F10 map even if you have been in it prior to being in the cockpit.  But whatever something somewhere is causing the memory GPU  leak and its highly likely your system.  I sometimes think somehow although not displaying it its still thinking about the internal hanger that we see in the background.  God alone knows why the dev's have not given us an option to completely not have this scene.  Most users do not even want this in the background - just a better sized map and black background with no model would be fine.

One last check you don't have winwing software running do you?

May I ask what happened to your G2? If this can even be determined at this point 😅 Anyway sorry to hear you had a bad experience with it.

I also have this feeling that I can provoke it to happen by opening F10, going external etc. But then again, as shown by the example runs in the prior post it will also happen without using F10 at all.

After the GPU spike I had another look at background processes and found desktop windows manager (dwm.exe) was using almost 20% of GPU 3D rendering resources!  Now this was very variable, switching between 0% and 20% - maybe the reason I didnt register this the first time looking at the processes. Now I do not know if this is normal behavior. This could be just because I need to look at TaskManager thus triggering dwm.exe to do something. But I checked how much its using in idle and it stays around the 0% mark.

During ingame GPU spike - dwm.exe GPU usage reaches 20%!

dwm.png

Idle - dwm.exe GPU usage hovers around 0%

dwm2.png

Edit:

I reactivated the integrated GPU and then told Windows to use the iGPU for dwm.exe. Now the dwm.exe doesn't go above 10% and is running on the iGPU. The issue remains tho, the only thing changed is that dcs.exe is now using the full 100% of the dedicated GPU 🤣. But at least I can rule this one out.

dwm3.PNG

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

• Vitralette changed the title to Sudden 100% GPU usage ramp up
Am 5.1.2021 um 00:49 schrieb VirusAM:

Your link settings are crazy...try to lower to 1.3
You have a pretty powerful GPU, but raising the rendering resolution raise also the VRAM usage....and your car md is pretty poor in that department for this kind of usage

Could you be so kind and explain how a full VRAM is actually effecting the system?

Fom what I "understand" is that once the VRAM is full it starts to copy data into RAM which can lead to FPS drops, ok makes sense.

What I do not get tho is why I can fly for 30mins with a full VRAM right from the start and THEN all of a sudden it is a problem (as can be seen in the data provided 3 posts up)? I checked if maybe the shared memory is getting filled up (would then start to copy to pagefile/ssd) but that is not the case, at least it's not getting reported by either TaskManager / GPU-Z / Afterburner.

Maybe this whole thing boils down to me not understanding VRAM usage at all 😬😃

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

Is it possible that after pressing F10 the GPU loads hangar textures, models etc to vram and after leaving F10 map gpu still keeps those hangar things in vram and doesn’t clear them? Switching to other program clears vram and returns regular fps? Same kind of thing possibly happens after switching aircraft or respawning. I don’t have enough knowledge about how vram works but there are now more than 10 topics in these forums and all have same kind of vram releated problems so there must be something wrong.

http://dcsfinland.fi/

Dcs: F/A-18C, F-16C, F-14, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, MiG-21bis, M2000C, C-101, AJS-37, F-5, MF1, Bf-109K4, AH-64, UH-1, Ka-50, Mi-24, FC3, SC

System: i5-13600k@P58,58,57,57,56,56/E45 Asus TUF 3080Ti OC 12gb, 64gb DDR5 5600cl32, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBrD, Warthog throttle with deltasim slew, MFG Crosswind, DIY ”UFC”, 3x TM MFD’s

Well yeah I seen some of these posts and people keep bringing up VRAM, but I've jet to see real evidence that VRAM is actually a problem. I've someone got a link to a thread where this gets actually shown I'd really appreciate it. That DCS is using ungodly amounts of VRAM is definitely true (MSFS2020 VR on ultra textures only reserves 7.2GB for example), but that this in turn leads to instant fps break downs once a mysterious threshold is reached isn't obvious to me. Continous performance degredation? Sure.

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

I experience similar problems to you.

Everything is fine for 15-20 minutes and then I get stutters, lag, low FPS.

Sometimes fixed by briefly using the Quest 2 pass through shortcut and returning to DCS. Occasionally continues after fully exiting and restarting DCS. 

I'd love to know how to fix it!

Specs:

CPU                       Ryzen 5 3600 4.4GHz

GPU                       Gigabyte GeForce 1080 8GB

MB                         Asus Prime B450M-A

RAM                      32GB DDR4 3000

SSD                       WD Black NVMe M.2

HMD                      Oculus Quest 2

OS                         Win10 20H2

@ppokit I might have good news for you.

I tried a new set of settings which seem to have removed the gpu firewall of death.

Now, I am currently still evaluating, but I did about 5 sessions now over half an hour with no problems (which wasn't possible before). Doesn't mean it can't come back and this was just luck but it looks promising. I wanted to wait for a write up till I figured out which setting exactly change the behavior but I would appreciate if you could test these and post our results. I lowered both textures and clutter in order to conserve VRAM. I dont see any difference in the Hornet cockpit, but I am using this mod Clean cockpit for the F-18 (digitalcombatsimulator.com), so this may explaine why the setting has next to no optical impact. I also turned of preload, also no difference ingame nor are the loading times longer. Dunno what it really does. Nvidia Vsync on fast is really important I already tested that. Render resolution in Oculus App is your choice. I realized that at 90Hz the difference between 1.5x and 1.3x is marginal (at least in DCS for some reason) so you can save a big chunk of performance there. But with these settings and 1.5x I still have about 30% headroom with ASW45fps enabled so I just crank it up. The rest needs more testing regardings its importance. I'm gonna follow up soon.

DCS.PNG

NVIDIA1.PNG

NVIDIA2.PNG

OA.PNG

ODT.PNG

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

I am baffled by how little the impact of the DCS graphics settings are for high resolution HMDs.

So here is a list of things that don't make much difference and only use resources for the Q2 set at native resolution (5408x2736 render resolution):

Textures - For the Hornet this doesn't make any difference for the cockpit, your aircrafts may vary. Airframe textures, runways etc. are lower res but I don't care about that.

Set it on low, saves VRAM.

Terrain Texture - Doesn't make a difference on Caucasus.

Set it on low, saves VRAM.

Visible Range - Distance at which buildings (not aircarfts or ground targets) are rendered, also the distance at which the terrain is getting rendered based on your terrain texture setting. If I wanna go sight seeing im gonna play MSFS2020.

I put it on low. 

Res. of Cockpit Display - Only effects the resolution of rear view mirrors. Since rear view mirrors are bugged and half your frame rate gets killed when activated you never wanna have them on, so put the resolution to 256 in case you accidentially activate them 🙄

MSAA - no difference ingame (shockingly), doesn't improve shimmer

OFF (in case it wasn't already)

SSAA -  no difference ingame (shockingly), doesn't improve shimmer

OFF (in case it wasn't already)

Reload Radius - no difference

Anisotropic Filtering - no difference (shockingly), maybe less impact because Nvidia "texture filtering anisotropic sample optimization" was ON during testing

OFF

Most of these settings don't come which a significant performance impact on hardware (except MSAA) thus I was just putting them on higher settings.

I mean if it comes free but I can't really tell the difference I rather take it right ? Apparently wrong.

Now that I am using the opposit strategy by only activating settings that I can actually measure with my eyes ingame the problem seem to have solved itself. 

Maybe because less VRAM is used (although all tools still show that it's maxed of course ...) or maybe any of these settings is bugged (just like res. of cockpit display).

Edited by Vitralette

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2

Thanks @Waltan, but it didn't do the trick for me.

Tried that setting before messing with the ingame settings.

@speed-of-heat yeah but many people seem to tick that one on at one point or another.

I've seen people mentioning this in a similar context before.

Intel i5-8600k | 4.8GHz 

Oculus Quest 2