I'm currently downloading DCS World. However, I read that some downloads for items are from "Steam", but is this necessary? I have used MS Store. don't use Xbox and definitely steer clear of "Steam".

Never touched Steam, so I Don`t know about it.

Normaly you download all from EDs website, the free map and planes and of course every item you bought directly from ED. These you can download directly inside the game.

Edited by ex81

What goes up, must come down !

Intel Core i7-8700, 16 GB-RAM, Nvidia GTX 1060, 6 GB GDDR5, 1TB HDD, 500 GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD, Windows 10/64, A10-C, Rhino X55, Persian Golf, F/A-18 Hornet

38 minutes ago, sauviat said:

I'm currently downloading DCS World. However, I read that some downloads for items are from "Steam", but is this necessary? I have used MS Store. don't use Xbox and definitely steer clear of "Steam".

I wonder where you read that because it's not true at all. You absolutely don't need Steam for DCS.

Intel i7-4790K @ 4x4GHz + 16 GB DDR3 + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

43 minutes ago, sauviat said:

However, I read that some downloads for items are from "Steam", but is this necessary?

Did you read about Virtual Reality maybe? Most VR headsets use SteamVR for their setup. So if you don't have a VR headset which needs SteamVR (some don't) you don't need Steam to get you going (and it's perfectly possible to use SteamVR without the Steam version of DCS).

Edited by Lange_666

Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti OC 11GB, 32 GB DDR3 G.Skill 2400. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!