My 3090 Settings for my G2 (2.7.11)

speed-of-heat

52 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Can you show me what you have it will be easier than playing whackamole in the dark

Will do, as soon as I get home from work. Thanks to everyone for the help. Makes me hopeful that I can maybe get this thing to work properly. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

i'm sure you can, best make a separate thread and @me  rather than cluttering up an already cluttered thread 🙂

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Just wanted to report back I managed to get good frames at decent detail levels at SteamVR 60%. Still not up to par with your guide but it's start and I think it's decent considering I don't have any of the mods recommended in this guide installed. Will try experimenting some more and see if I can get away with some more detail settings or turning up the SteamVR resolution before I start experimenting with the VR mods. Thanks for all the help to everyone.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

Just as an aside to this great guide for all future owners of the G2, start fresh. Speed-of-heat has already commented it and I cannot stress it enough. You don't need to reinstall DCS World, but if you're getting a new VR headset delete your options.lua file the metashaders2 and fxo folders before doing anything else.

Two things I'm still unsure of, the Mask setting, does it do anything? Secondly motion smoothing, I guess it's akin to ASW but what are the best settings here in SteamVR? Would it be better to force it on, or leave it on enabled?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Two things I'm still unsure of, the Mask setting, does it do anything? Secondly motion smoothing, I guess it's akin to ASW but what are the best settings here in SteamVR? Would it be better to force it on, or leave it on enabled?

Mask size does have an impact but not on performance, or at least not when i last checked.

Motions smoothing is indeed akin to ASW, at the moment i tend to force it on because i am currently running at 2xMSAA, so you functionally cant reach 90 often enough for it to make a difference. so forcing 45 gives me a better/more consistent experience... YMMV this is a very personal setting for a lot of people, BN for example doesnt use it at all 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Kameraden,

Making good progress, appreciate the time and effort as it's really helped me tune my 3090. One question though, when I move my head my screen distorts like fabric. This small distortion is causing a bit of vertigo.

This just started, so I'm pretty sure it's a setting deep in a menu.

S!

not something i have noticed/experienced, sorry

let us know what eventually fixes it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

not something i have noticed/experienced, sorry

let us know what eventually fixes it

It's Field of View - Custom Scale @ 90%

When turning my head left or right in the cockpit, the instrument panel bends slightly towards you. Put it back to 100% and it's stopped.

S!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lipfert said:

It's Field of View - Custom Scale @ 90%

When turning my head left or right in the cockpit, the instrument panel bends slightly towards you. Put it back to 100% and it's stopped.

S!

Anything less than 100% FOV distorts the image terribly for me, so I'm a little confused at this myself. 

• Thanks 1

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

Anything less than 100% FOV distorts the image terribly for me, so I'm a little confused at this myself. 

Same here. Gave up on it. Maybe a bug in SteamVR at the moment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

I'd personally leave FoV alone. It's nice to have the setting in case some dev "got it wrong" and you can tweak it, but if you're shaving off some FoV for the purpose of gaining a few FPS, of all the settings to meddle with, I'd leave this one alone. You'll probably end up with a head-ache and you will potentially mess up in-game hand-eye coordination and subconscious immersion among other things.

I'm pretty sure I say, l dont recommend FOV changes ... maybe i should be clearer ? 

OP updated 

Not sure what it said before, I do recall it saying you don't suggest it, but +1, it's clear as day now. Seriously, mega knock on wood here, I'm reluctant to say anything but... I just flew a session, in MP, crashed my plane numerous times, opened discord using steam and placed it where my AMPCD should be. Had a YouTube video opened at the same time inside VR using steam overlay for a tutorial and, um, 45 FPS 100% motion smoothing and the game didn't crash once. It used to crash when switching aircraft or just accidentally opening the steam dashboard and now I have 2 steam overlays running in my VR environment with discord bound to my wrist and it's flawless. 

Not sure if it was a DCS update, or steam is finally getting their sh*t together (running non-beta of both BTW). The only real issue I'm having right now is some shimmering powerline towers, buildings and trees, what the hell is up with these trees??? Have I missed a setting or are the trees just broken?

Edit: Try watching at .5 speed.

Edited by Vanguard

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I'm pretty sure I say, l dont recommend FOV changes ... maybe i should be clearer ? 

OP updated 

SoH,

For my initial settings, I copied the screen captures you have in the first post. All good, steep learning curve just finding all the various places where settings can be adjusted.

S!

• Like 1

shimmering is normally due to sharpening as happens with reshade, or if you are not using MSAA... thought there is still some there, note one of the latest betas updated trees explicitly to reduce shimmer

16 minutes ago, Lipfert said:

SoH,

For my initial settings, I copied the screen captures you have in the first post. All good, steep learning curve just finding all the various places where settings can be adjusted.

S!

yes but in many cases you have to read the words... not just follow the screen captures. some are me experimenting with settings to see if i get performance benefits or not... 

Edited by speed-of-heat

My trees aren't shimmering, they're spinning and popping in and out of existence like crazy Guess you didn't watch the vid 😉 . I have 2xMSAA, the shimmering on the powerlines and buildings is tolerable, but apparent.

Edited by Vanguard

What does Steam overlay do anyway? I think I ticked those off. Not sure why I would need them? 

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

What does Steam overlay do anyway? I think I ticked those off. Not sure why I would need them? 

Open desktop or applications like discord inside VR, mute microphone, and usual steam overlay stuff.

Reasonable demo:https://www.roadtovr.com/steamvr-beta-update-virtual-desktop-window-view-controller-attach/

Edited by Vanguard
  • Thanks 1

Ok I'm suddenly getting horrible performance again. I think it's windows mixed reality as halfway during a mission it starts to stutter and then it simply crashes SteamVR. Curiosly enough DCS keeps running in the background. The worst part is I changed nothing in my settings. I can't believe that this is really, this hard. I've spent the last three hours troubleshooting it and NOT playing DCS as a result. I think (HOPE, PLEASE GOD BE IT!) it's the WMR and something strange going on in the background with WMR, before it crashes SteamVR it sort of alt+tabs into WMR, and I captured this screenshot.

Any ideas? (Are the things in the blue circled normal?)

image.png

they aren't normal for me, but i would be more worried by whats eating the other 35% of your CPU ... you might want to order the list by CPU, double click on the CPU column

• Like 1

Auto update maybe ? Find those 2 in services and maybe shut it down/ disable then retest. Having a prebuilt system I had to disable several services.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

Yeah the screenshot is after the SteamVR crash, the 35% is actually DCS World which curiously doesn't crash after SteamVR crashes but keeps running even though the headset stops working. 

I will try disabling those services if they come up, I will have to google them a little bit first though. They only show up after said crash, which is why I think they might be the cause behind the horrible performance/crash.

*edit*

I did find this post, which recommends disabling motion smoothing in SteamVR. I might try to force reprojection through WMR and disable motion smoothing through SteamVR.

Edited by Lurker

360 video is the media player for WMR, new for you is pretty much what it says on the tin

but what i meant was dcs taking up 35% is about right, but you are showing 71% what is taking up the remaining 35%, and i would never recommend shutting down auto update, i have seen too many people get pwn3d because of not updating... just force the damn process, in app store in steam and windows before you start playing 

Edited by speed-of-heat

22 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

360 video is the media player for WMR, new for you is pretty much what it says on the tin

but what i meant was dcs taking up 35% is about right, but you are showing 71% what is taking up the remaining 35%, and i would never recommend shutting down auto update, i have seen too many people get pwn3d because of not updating... just force the damn process, in app store in steam and windows before you start playing 

Aha I see what you mean. I didn't even notice that remaining 70%. What do you mean by autoupdate? Where do I force this on?

Edited by Lurker

i just go into Windows Update and ask for any new updates....