Exhaust filters

Koekemoeroetoe

Hi all,

I was wondering, when searching for images of the MI-24(P) you see variants with and withoud "exhaust filters". Are those indeed for suppressing the IR image to reduce threats from SAM? Or do they also serve another purpose?

What I mean by "exhaust filter":

mil%20filter_06.jpg

Personally I think they look pretty awesome on the already bad-ass looking Hind. Does anyone know if we will be able to add or remove these filters e.g. through the rearm/refuel menu? Also I understood the filters reduce available engine power, so that should off course be simulated as well than 🙂.

Kind regards,

Koekie

• Like 2

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

That are the IR suppressors, yes. We have these also on the MI-8 module and they are removeable in the MissionEditor for the MI-8(beside other things, external hardpoints, additional armor, cargo half doors). If they actually decrease the IR signature in game or are just cosmetic i don't know.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Oh I didn't know they were removable on the MI-8. I do own the module, but never flown her that much. @BIGNEWY @Wags or anyone else from ED, can you confirm whether the IR suppressors will be available for the MI-24 or not? And do they indeed decrease power output (noticeably)?

Intel i9 10850k | Noctua NH-U12A | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC | Patriot Viper Steel 64gb @3600MT/s | ASUS TUF RX 7900 XTX OC | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVMe | HP Reverb G2

Yeah IR suppressors (Gazelle and Huey have their own versions as well), though not sure if they actually do anything besides cosmetic.

If they are going to come (and I don't see why not), would it be possible to have it not only as a checkbox in the mission editor, but allow the ground crew to change it? Preferably directly from the radio menu?

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

1 час назад, Koekemoeroetoe сказал:

Oh I didn't know they were removable on the MI-8. I do own the module, but never flown her that much. @BIGNEWY @Wags or anyone else from ED, can you confirm whether the IR suppressors will be available for the MI-24 or not?

10.03.2020 в 12:46, PilotMi8 сказал:

постараемся перенести лучшие решения с функционала Ми-8. Т.е. ЭВУ планируются съемными. Может не сразу конечно, но сделаем

• Thanks 2

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use Google Translate.

Thanks S.E.Bulba! I don't speak Russian, but Google Translate tells me the units are called EVU and they are to be implemented (and also removable) 🙂

3 minutes ago, S.E.Bulba said:

постараемся перенести лучшие решения с функционала Ми-8. Т.е. ЭВУ планируются съемными. Может не сразу конечно, но сделаем

we will try to transfer the best solutions from the Mi-8 functionality. Those. EVU are planned to be removable. Maybe not right away, of course, but we will

53 минуты назад, Koekemoeroetoe сказал:

Google Translate tells me the units are called EVU

Russian: экранно-выхлопное устройство (ЭВУ; transliteration: EVU) -> English: Infrared (IR) Suppressor.

59 минут назад, Koekemoeroetoe сказал:

we will try to transfer the best solutions from the Mi-8 functionality. Those. EVU are planned to be removable. Maybe not right away, of course, but we will

we will try to transfer the best solutions from the Mi-8 functionality. I.e. EVU are planned to be removable. Maybe not right away, of course, but we will

04.01.2021 в 14:20, unknown сказал:

If they actually decrease the IR signature in game or are just cosmetic i don't know.

Personally, I have not seen any difference between a helicopter with or without IR Suppressors. For example, in the DCS World, the FIM-92B Stinger POST MANPADS launch a battery and coolant unit (BCU) at a range of ~3km to the target (Mi-8MTV2, AGL flight altitude ~500m, speed ~50km/h), and the target is locked at head-on course at a range of ~2.9km… regardless of whether the IR Suppressors are installed on the helicopter or not.

Probably, as rightly noted above, at present these devices in the game are just "cosmetic". 🙂

23 часа назад, Koekemoeroetoe сказал:

And do they indeed decrease power output (noticeably)?

IRL, due to the fact that the IR Suppressors prevent the free exit of exhaust gases, there is a slight decrease in engine thrust and an increase in fuel consumption.

Скрытый текст

Original in Russian

04.01.2021 в 14:20, unknown сказал:

If they actually decrease the IR signature in game or are just cosmetic i don't know.

Лично я не увидел никакой разницы между вертолётом с ЭВУ или без них. Например в DCS World у ПЗРК FIM-92B Stinger POST запуск наземного источника питания (НИП) происходит на дальности ~3 км до цели (Ми-8МТВ2, высота полёта над поверхностью ~500 м, скорость ~50 км/ч), а захват цели на встречном курсе – на дальности ~2,9 км… независимо от того, установлены на вертолёте ЭВУ, или нет.

Вероятно, как правильно заметили выше, в настоящее время эти устройства в игре просто «косметические». 🙂

23 часа назад, Koekemoeroetoe сказал:

В реальной жизни, в силу того, что ЭВУ препятствуют свободному выходу отработанных газов, происходит незначительное снижение тяги двигателей и увеличивается расход топлива.

Edited by S.E.Bulba
UPD.
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 12:54 PM, Koekemoeroetoe said:

There's a reason you can buy custom made air filters (K&N for example) for cars and motorcycles. Same principle applies, but in reverse 😉

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

9 hours ago, Raven (Elysian Angel) said:

There's a reason you can buy custom made air filters (K&N for example) for cars and motorcycles. Same principle applies, but in reverse 😉

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. I meant to ask if you see a difference in aircraft performance in-game when the IR suppressors are equipped. In the real world I'm familiar with the subject, indeed the bigger/more open your exhaust and intake are, the more power (up to a certain point ofcourse). And especially with the IR suppressors I can imagine a (very) noticeable powerloss, due to for what I've read it not only directs the outgoing gases upwards, but also sends them through a sort of heat exchanger to cool the gases down using fresh air.

Anyway, to answer my own question based on several forum posts it looks like they will (for now) be cosmetic only.

• Like 1