VR Shaders for IC Pass, Clear Water and Texture fixes

Hi All,

this is not a MOD of my own creation and I have created this thread solely to provide an easy point of "finding" my variants of @Kegetys excellent Shader MOD for VR,

I am not currently maintaining these as they have largely been replaced by: Simplex for IC pass, and @Taz1004variant for Kegetys, which provides the same functionality as CW and compatibility with the current release as of 2.7.9.  I will review if that changes.

Legacy 2.7.7.

Install these mods using OvGME or MODMANFX, please do not install them by overwriting files directly!  Uninstall the MODs before each update, and reinstall them after the update is completed.

2.7.7 (Updated)_

with many thanks to @lefuneste01 I have been able to use his updates to the base shader mods to make something that works with 2.7.7.

I have not yet had a chance to performance test them but they work (or at least dont fail to compile) YMMV etc...

2.7.6 Hotfix

• Clear Water version of @Kegetys MOD provides clear water (this is especially noticeable near the shore, or in shallow water areas such as the PG map)   DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.0.4625 (Clear Water).zip 
  • IC Pass Version (Note this may FAIL IC pass the first time round, go back out to windows and restart DCS, and it *may* fail IC if you go into IA or other missions) no dilly dallying straight into multiplayer with you! (this is the least performant version of the mod) DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.0.4625 (Clear Water, IC Pass).zipit does however pass the Integrity Check for multiplayer!

Legacy 2.5.6

I have also included @Taz1004 texture fixes for  cockpit and trees and included them where appropriate : 

These variants will be updated as time allows. Caveat Emptor, YMMV, I am not offering Financial/Medical/Legal Advice.

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 19

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Stock NVG settings with the VR Shaders mod actually works almost perfect with the Reverb G2. Don't need Tacca's NVG mod now. 

One question though, can the blurryness (is that a word) be dialed down around the NVG ring so it's a clean NVG circle?

I see in C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\shaders\deferred\_HMD.hlsl you can make adjustments. Will one of these affect blurryness outside of the NVG ring?

Cheers

Edited by HipoxiK

The IC pass version works perfectly until there is smoke (e.g. vehicle killed) then my FPS drops very low even worse than the standard shaders. If there are many smokes it becomes unplayable. This is not an issue with the standard shaders (smoke doesn't help there either but it stays playable). Is this a known issue or somehow local to my instance?

Edited by chinpok

@chinpok its not something I see, but, it could be the case; the way I make the IC Pass is buy removing the objectionable files (that changes cause it to fail), so it is possible that there is something that causes a perf degradation with smoke. as a result, there isn't an alterative that i am aware of.

I would try removing any other MODS... 

I only use that particular file myself for online A2A, so smoke tends not to be a problem.

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

37 minutes ago, chinpok said:

The IC pass version works perfectly until there is smoke (e.g. vehicle killed) then my FPS drops very low even worse than the standard shaders. If there are many smokes it becomes unplayable. This is not an issue with the standard shaders (smoke doesn't help there either but it stays playable). Is this a known issue or somehow local to my instance?

When you say standard, do you mean without this mod?  Or with full shader mod?  Is it better with full version of this mod?

8 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

When you say standard, do you mean without this mod?  Or with full shader mod?  Is it better with full version of this mod?

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have any other mods, I meant stock DCS version. I'll retest with stock, non-IC when I have time.

6 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Can you guys confirm this glowing border around the glass of A10C-II Aged cockpit with the mod?

With the mod

Screen_210110_210316.jpg

Without the mod

Screen_210110_210807.jpg

@Taz1004try reverting back the changes to Glass... 

10 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

@Taz1004try reverting back the changes to Glass... 

It's Simple Transparency that's causing it.  You can simply set it to 0 but then you'll lose simple transparency altogether.  I fixed it in attached "forward_def_ps.hlsl"

Also attached is NVG blur reduced in case anyone don't want blurry cockpit with NVG. "NVD_HDR_fx"

Why is it blurry anyway?  Is it supposed to be blurry?  I used NVG goggles before and they were noisy but not blurry.

Also, sun.fx looks like it's identical to default file.  I think it can be deleted.

Screen_210111_021212.jpg

NVD_HDR.fx

Edited by Taz1004

the NVG Blur is meant to be there; i think it represents the lower resolution of the NVG , I will update the forward_def_ps.hlsl  later today for and not a separate NVD_DR.fx download if you want a clear NVG set, thanks @Taz1004 (neither will be useful for IC pass)

13 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Can you guys confirm this glowing border around the glass of A10C-II Aged cockpit with the mod?

With the mod

Screen_210110_210316.jpg

Without the mod

Screen_210110_210807.jpg

I don't seethe glowing in you screen shot, but my mirrors are white like that. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

8 hours ago, chinpok said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have any other mods, I meant stock DCS version. I'll retest with stock, non-IC when I have time.

I did the test stock vs IC pass now with the FPS counter turned on. The fps drop is more or less the same but it's less "visible" without the mod as my FPS is already low.

I did a 4v4 tank battle and the white puff smokes (when a tank is hit but not destroyed) are very bad for performance I dropped from 60 to 30-40. After that the standard fire/smoke is bad too but not that much: 50-55 fps. So it's actually not the fault of the mod but maybe something what the mod could also improve.

7 minutes ago, chinpok said:

I did the test stock vs IC pass now with the FPS counter turned on. The fps drop is more or less the same but it's less "visible" without the mod as my FPS is already low.

I did a 4v4 tank battle and the white puff smokes (when a tank is hit but not destroyed) are very bad for performance I dropped from 60 to 30-40. After that the standard fire/smoke is bad too but not that much: 50-55 fps. So it's actually not the fault of the mod but maybe something what the mod could also improve.

that would have to be of the core mod from Kegetys 

53 minutes ago, chinpok said:

If your system is on the lower end of the spec, not much can be done.  Transparent objects are the most performance hungry feature in any game.  Wherever there are transparency, pixels has to be calculated twice.  One in front and one behind.  If you have multiple smokes on top of each other, then it'll multiply exponentially.  If the smoke is in the distance covering 100x100 pixels, performance impact will be minimal.  But worse as you get close and fill up more of your screen.

The full version of this mod has simpler transparency which should help.  Which I believe is not in the IC pass version.

24 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

The full version of this mod has simpler transparency which should help.  Which I believe is not in the IC pass version.

correct

17 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

the NVG Blur is meant to be there; i think it represents the lower resolution of the NVG , I will update the forward_def_ps.hlsl  later today for and not a separate NVD_DR.fx download if you want a clear NVG set, thanks @Taz1004 (neither will be useful for IC pass)

NVG image blur when looking in cockpit is accurate. This is because ANVIS goggles can be focused between about 40cm to infinity. When you focus your goggles you normally set the optimal clarity about 30 - 50ft away from you so that you can most clearly see obstacles when conducting confined area operations (primarily helicopters) and you can't see detail in objects hundreds or thousands of feet away anyway. When you do this anything within around 3ft or closer will be blurry hence cockpit gauges are blurry through NVG's.

Can we alter the size of the NVG ring though as it's cutting into the sweet spot of the Reverb G2's making it harder to see the gauges under the NVGs. Although not realistic it would be helpful to have no ring or a very thing ring around the NVG's.

Cheers

34 minutes ago, HipoxiK said:

NVG image blur when looking in cockpit is accurate. This is because ANVIS goggles can be focused between about 40cm to infinity.

Then that's even more inaccurate because if you put your nose against the cockpit, it focuses.  And 40cm is only 15 inches.

26 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Then that's even more inaccurate because if you put your nose against the cockpit, it focuses.  And 40cm is only 15 inches.

Haha yes that is true, wasn’t sure if that is a limit of the sim or not. Either way I only look under the NVG’s to look inside the cockpit like normal so I don’t pay much notice to that. 

guys, which one of this mod listed in the 1st post is the best in terms of quality amd good fps? I have a 2080ti+8700k+32gbram+nvme etc etc.

Also : can this mod(s) be used with @Taz1004 tree mod + smoke ?

Thanks for your advice.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

3 minutes ago, Goa said:

guys, which one of this mod listed in the 1st post is the best in terms of quality amd good fps? I have a 2080ti+8700k+32gbram+nvme etc etc.

Also : can this mod(s) be used with @Taz1004 tree mod + smoke ?

Thanks for your advice.

They all work with tree and smoke mods but I assume IC is not an issue if you're using tree mod so I recommend first one.