Laser Maverick question

Taz1004

I tried to use this in Syria Ground Attack Instant Action and noticed that laser stopped firing about mid way and missed target.  Next time I tried, I fired the laser again mid flight to get it to hit.  Then I saw this Wag's video and it did look like he re-fired it at around 12:25.  But he doesn't say it.

I launched much further away than Wags did in this video.  At max range.  He says he launched at 9 miles in this video but looks like he fired around 7 miles.  Does that mean we have to re-fire the laser all the time when launching from max range?  Or do you just let it fly straight and fire the laser later like GBU?

With that said, I really don't see use for Laser Maverick unless someone else like JTAC is lasing for me.  In that video, Wags got to within around 2.4 miles when the missile hit the target.  If I fire laser rockets at 5 miles, they hit the targets when I get to within 2.6 miles.

Edited by Taz1004

24 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

I tried to use this in Syria Ground Attack Instant Action and noticed that laser stopped firing about mid way and missed target.  Next time I tried, I fired it again mid flight to get it to hit.  Then I saw this Wag's video and it did look like he re-fired it at around 12:25.  But he doesn't say it.

I launched much further away than Wags did in this video.  At max range.  He says he launched at 9 miles in this video but looks like he fired around 7 miles.  Does that mean we have to re-fire the laser all the time when launching from far away?  Or do you just let it fly straight and fire the laser later like GBU?

With that said, I really don't see use for Laser Maverick unless someone else like JTAC is lasing for me.  In that video, Wags got to within around 2.4 miles when the missile hit the target.  If I fire laser rockets at 5 miles, they hit the targets when I get to within 2.6 miles.

If I recall correctly - this was acknowledged as an issue, but so far nothing has been corrected with it.  That being said, I have fired laser mavericks (while self lasing) from 6-7nm with no issue of the laser switching off (like what you are describing and what happens in Wags' video).  I haven't employed them from a further distance than that.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

1 hour ago, Ziptie said:

If I recall correctly - this was acknowledged as an issue, but so far nothing has been corrected with it.  That being said, I have fired laser mavericks (while self lasing) from 6-7nm with no issue of the laser switching off (like what you are describing and what happens in Wags' video).  I haven't employed them from a further distance than that.

Cheers,

Ziptie

Yea, I think 7 mile is about the range where the laser goes off.  So if you fire closer, maybe you wouldn't see the issue.

Did some more testing and would like to know if this is feature or bug.

If I fire it like Wags did in that video, laser on, TMS up, and fire, laser will turn off mid flight.  When that timer next to L on the HUD reaches 0.

But if I turn OFF the laser after I fire the Maverick.  Then immediately turn it back on, then the laser continues to fire even after that number reaches 0.  All the way to target.

Edited by Taz1004

59 minutes ago, =52d= Skip said:

You have to make sure that you have

- "Latch" set to on in the TPOD Settings

- Are within 8nm as that is the DCS Hard limit to hit something

With Latch on you can fire the Laser for however long you like, even beyond the 8nm tracking limit.

Latch is set to ON by default since few updates ago.  And in your video, you set yourself up so the Maverick hit the target before the laser timer reached 0.  Not for however long I like.

Or are you trying to say I have to be close enough that the timer doesn't reach 0?  That's only about 7nm as in Wags video unless you're diving like you did.

I can get it to land from 10nm away at 7,000 if I use the second method I described above.

But my question was regarding the behavior of the laser.  It turns off when the timer reaches 0.  But if I toggle it on and off anytime before that timer reaches 0, it keeps on going ignoring the timer.

Edited by Taz1004