Magnetic Headings / Mission Planner / Aircraft (HUD/Real world) / Caucus map

Taff320

Hi all 

Having completed a number of basic navigation exercises in the AV-8 and F-5, there seems to an error of about 5-6 degrees between real world lat / long calculations and the DCS Caucus map. 

The best example I can give is in this video.

https://youtu.be/eTVloUEP4WM

Note : This Still air so heading equal tracks. 

The planned route is shown at minute 10:06 using CombatFlite. Note the Magnetic Headings

The author has overwritten the Mag Heading figures in the table to compensate for 'real world figures' at 29:00 - The lat / long is detailed. 

These Mag Hdg figures are also corrected on the map at 30:54.

I’ve checked the true geometric bearing between waypoint 2 and 3 and it’s about 53.5 degrees TRUE. (A number of websites can do this calculation) 

The variation in Anapa is 7 deg E. That would match up with 46 Mag Hdg from CombatFlite shown at 10:06. 

However, the DCS planner RULER tool shown shows about 51 degrees between Waypoints 2 & 3. So there seems to be a 2-3 degree error between the mission planner true bearing and true geometric bearing. Can you check this?

Also, I’ve just hovered over waypoint 2 in an AV-8 (The AV-8 was used at it has a HUD indication of heading to next WPT) and the hud bug indication is also -3 degrees degrees out. This is a little odd. In have checked the Mag Var values in the aircraft using the MFD DATA page (it shows 6 deg east but changing it has no effect on the HUD).

The end result of the above means that if you use TRACKS calculated from LAT / LONG coordinates , you would be about '-5' degrees out in the DCS Caucus world. This seems to match the edited headings of about -6 degrees in the video! 

When I flew a similar mission in an F-5 I was always to the right on each leg so it may not be an aircraft specific issue.

Could you have look at the DCS planner / Caucus map and check?

Thanks for all your efforts. 

Seeing similar behaviour in syria map.

2D is fine, problem seems to exist only in VR.

Center mass of the building on the right in the editor:

N36-11-03.78

E37-13-43.81
image.png

Center mass of the building on the right in flight(2D):

N36-11-03.65

E37-13-43.96

image.png

Center mass of the building on the right in flight(VR):

N36-11-03.80

E37-13-41.99

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Regarding heading, I think it's not as much of a bug as a consequence of sim's simplifications: the map is flat and is only visually "bulged" when rendered to look as if there was a horizon. This results in massive heading errors that grow as you move away from X=0,Z=0.

Edited by m4ti140