Aircraft rendering while merging

Hellbat

I've been having some difficulties getting visual contact on aircraft while merging; this is particularly problematic for me in actual missions where I always seem to merge completely blind because I can't seem to spot the incoming aircraft, even if I know their altitudes and approximate azimuth.

To demonstrate this, I made a custom mission.  I've attached a full resolution (1440p) screenshot highlighting an Su-30 at 3.2 miles, which is clearly visible, and another screenshot at 2.4 miles, where I literally can't see anything.  As reference, there is a second Su-30 a mile or so further back, which remains visible in both screenshots.  As I continue to approach then I can start to make out the wings of the aircraft that I've got a lock on, but it seems to be more of a horizontal profile and very hard to see, especially if I don't know where it is.  I'm not sure if others experience this or if it is purely related to my graphics settings?

Su30-Distance.jpg

Su30-Disappeared.jpg

22 minutes ago, Hellbat said:

I'm not sure if others experience this or if it is purely related to my graphics settings?

The best way to know this is to provide a track, so we can try to reproduce the exact same situation on our PCs. Can you attach a track showing the same thing?

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

No, I don't have SSAA enabled.  I have MSAA 2x, AF 4x and most settings on High (except Shadows, Heat blur).

It seems that at ~2.5 miles it transitions from an obvious black dot, which is there probably to assist in spotting at distance, to rendering the actual aircraft model, but it appears that there is a significant drop in contrast against the background.

I think it's only being masked by its flares. I agree the change it's a little bit "violent" but it's probably due to white flares masking a black square (even if they shouldn't, because they pop behind him). But the aircraft doesn't disappear as it does on Hellbat's screen.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.