Jump to content

P-47 Engine Failure during landing approach.


Recommended Posts

My engine always seems to die approaching an airfield. Everything is good with the engine...all the temps and pressures are good. Boost is set to off for quite some time. Throttle is not pulled back to idle or anything like that. Prop pitch is set to auto and full forward. Then it gradually loses power and I can hear the bearings I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be windmilling the engine, which puts the load on the wrong side of the crankshaft and can wreck the bearings and engine depending on how badly the engine was being windmilled. The loaded side of the crankshaft journals feature a lubrication hole that protects the crank from the forces of the power stroke from each cylinder, since each power stroke applies force to the same spot on the crankshaft. When being windmilled, the forces are reversed, applying force to the opposite side of the crankshaft without the lubrication hole.

 

Try keeping a little more power on, so that the engine is driving the prop during your approach.

Aircraft: A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, P-51D, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-15C

Modules: Super Carrier, NTTR, Persian Gulf, WWII Assets

 

PC: MSI 990FXA Gaming, FX-8120 3.1 GHz, 32GB Patriot Viper RAM, GTX980 4GB, 27" 1080p curved Samsung monitor, Saitek X-45 HOTAS, Opentrack

 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Nealius said:

I thought the manuals said to cut throttle to idle? When I do that at 2550rpm, I land, but at the end of my landing rollout the engine quits.

yes you need to cut throttle, but question is when ?

you can cut throttle just before touch down or after cut down.

I land at 2550rpm and i descend and make approach with 25"-26"

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is "cut down?"

 

I land at 2550rpm and whatever MP I need to keep 150~160mph in the base turn, and 120mph in the final. I cut throttle just before crossing the threshold, flare to 3-point landing. Then as I'm hitting the wheel brakes my engine quits.


Edited by Nealius

YouTube Channel: "Clutch"

 

Z390 Aorus Elite | i5-9600k @4.7Ghz | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | Odyssey Plus | Warthog HOTAS | 20cm Extension

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, grafspee said:

yes you need to cut throttle, but question is when ?

you can cut throttle just before touch down or after cut down.

I land at 2550rpm and i descend and make approach with 25"-26"

If the approach speed is standard, I think, you need to have sufficient MP to get 2550, in my case I see that the prop is at fine stop and rpm are lower.

 

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yo-Yo said:

If the approach speed is standard, I think, you need to have sufficient MP to get 2550, in my case I see that the prop is at fine stop and rpm are lower.

 

 

"Fine stop" means prop lever full forward? 

YouTube Channel: "Clutch"

 

Z390 Aorus Elite | i5-9600k @4.7Ghz | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | Odyssey Plus | Warthog HOTAS | 20cm Extension

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nealius said:

 

"Fine stop" means prop lever full forward? 

No, it means that though the rpm lever is at 2550 position, the prop pitch is minimal, and the speed and low MP are insufficient to maintain 2550.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the time my engine died on the runway, instruments were indicating 200rpm and 30" MP. Any idea what would cause that? I did not exceed 2550/42 during the duration of the flight (except takeoff at max rpm 46"), and I smoothly reduced throttle to idle before crossing the threshold, just as in grafspee's video.

YouTube Channel: "Clutch"

 

Z390 Aorus Elite | i5-9600k @4.7Ghz | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | Odyssey Plus | Warthog HOTAS | 20cm Extension

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nealius said:

At the time my engine died on the runway, instruments were indicating 200rpm and 30" MP. Any idea what would cause that? I did not exceed 2550/42 during the duration of the flight (except takeoff at max rpm 46"), and I smoothly reduced throttle to idle before crossing the threshold, just as in grafspee's video.

Did you take off at 2550 or 2700 rpm ?

Got your engine warmed up ?? Oil pressure and temp in limits ?


Edited by grafspee
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, grafspee said:

Did you take off at 2550 or 2700 rpm ?

Got your engine warmed up ?? Oil pressure and temp in limits ?

 

 

Takeoff at 2700 and 46", as she would not give me 52" even with full throttle. Engine warmed up at 900rpm until temps within limits, plus the magneto checks at 30" and 2000rpm. CHT between 150~200 the entire flight.


Edited by Nealius

YouTube Channel: "Clutch"

 

Z390 Aorus Elite | i5-9600k @4.7Ghz | RTX2070 | 32GB DDR4 | Windows 10 | Odyssey Plus | Warthog HOTAS | 20cm Extension

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, Lykurgus said:

My engine always seems to die approaching an airfield. Everything is good with the engine...all the temps and pressures are good. Boost is set to off for quite some time. Throttle is not pulled back to idle or anything like that. Prop pitch is set to auto and full forward. Then it gradually loses power and I can hear the bearings I think.

Carburetor icing possibly?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...