Ka 50 auto acquire target

X_legio

If you mean the Scan mode where the Shkval moves in a pattern left-right or right-left, then yes. If you tap lock, it'll hook/snap/stop/lock onto targets, or 'objects of note' like fences and bushes it crosses for the next 3 seconds. It's not the most useful mode though - you're hoping it'll cross over something helpful. If you up the scan rate and it goes across a target it may not hook it. You're better served with the helmet sight and locking like that or the slew hat. The helmet I've found to be more reliable in slew-locking targets that the scan mode.

• Like 1

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

For non-VR that might work.
For VR it is way to shaky and if you're using a motion rig like me AND VR then you're totally lost. With that combination the ridiculous locking "capability" using the Shkval screen is just annoying...

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

oof. That's....that's bad. Even not trying to lock stuff and just looking out your side window you'd be completely oblivious till you get the laser warning. You definitely won't be able to lock reliably looking out the canopy then. If the shake isn't too bad or given nausea, I'd still recommend using the helmet sight to scan the terrain ahead, ie keeping one eye on the Shkval - doing rough scouting, not locking. You can then try to lock with the helmet looking at the Shkval, but it's at closer ranges or extreme ranges quite jumpy, so in your case you'd probably just need to use slewing hat. Shkval scan mode is not reliable with slew-locking, so it will be the hat.

I've heard some VR users/sets have shadows only appearing in one eye, ie that the units then from a really far-off distance appear to glitter and are thus easier to spot that with conventional screens. If that's not a thing, then maybe consider the dots/caret 'cheat' symbology (assuming you're not playing on an MP server that disallows it).

Edited by Volk.
added cheat symbology comment

Unfortunately not. Russian laser tech vs. NATO - different standards. You're supposed to be able to lase for the Kh-25s of the Su-25, and them for your missiles. Not Vikhrs as those are cheap (but effective) beam riders. Also I'd imagine some ground forces should have laser kits to do it for you, but as far as I know that functionality doesn't exist in DCS.

That said, the Kh-25s are very niche/limited use - I mean you can bust bunkers and ships, maybe get a bit more range - but you're sacrificing 12 missiles that one-shot pretty much everything for 2.

The coming Apache should be compatible with the Kiowa, and the Kiowa itself's big thing is it can lase for the FA18 / A10, etc.

All that said - the Ka-50 can send targets to wingmen with 2 buttons and slew on target with another 2. And more often than not, unless you needed to cross no-mans land to get to a dangerous SAM, odds are between your Vikhrs and Cannon you can kill anything you spot yourself. Small consolation.

I think there was a mod which makes the Shark lase for A10... not sure if that still works or passes Multiplayer integrity check.