Animation to wrap the waist

Swift.

An animation request for a future update:

When transitioning from launches to recoveries the wait catapults should need to be prepared to avoid fouling the recovering aircraft. As seen in this video. Its a pretty fundamental deck operation that I think should be present on our Supercarrier.

Edited by Swiftwin9s
  • Like 4

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

12 slot buttons! And don't forget Fast Eddie. I swear you used to be an AB bro! I would like to see this as well, but that would include cyclic flight ops and I'm not sure DCS is capable of that level of complexity. I'm still waiting for wands for the directors at night and the lens to be calibrated for the Tomcat. Also, we would need:

Ordnance arming on the CAT
DE-ARM after landing (the H-60 is always in the de-arm area when I recover currently)
The rotating Beacons on all sides of the island are there but do not work
The CAT READY lights on the bubbles are there but do not work
Deck status lights also do not work

I'm getting carried away Lol

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

On 1/3/2021 at 8:14 PM, Jackjack171 said:

12 slot buttons! And don't forget Fast Eddie. I swear you used to be an AB bro! I would like to see this as well, but that would include cyclic flight ops and I'm not sure DCS is capable of that level of complexity. I'm still waiting for wands for the directors at night and the lens to be calibrated for the Tomcat. Also, we would need:

Ordnance arming on the CAT
DE-ARM after landing (the H-60 is always in the de-arm area when I recover currently)
The rotating Beacons on all sides of the island are there but do not work
The CAT READY lights on the bubbles are there but do not work
Deck status lights also do not work

I'm getting carried away Lol

++1 especially arm and de-arm.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nealius said:

The big question is, should this be implemented, who will even see it? Players will be in the Marshal stack, or still out on mission, while this animation is going on. That makes the value of adding such animation questionable. 

The big question is: Do we want to have a simulation or do we like to rely on imagination? If the latter is the answer, then we even don´t need deck crew at all. I like imagination, but I go with the first answer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nealius said:

The big question is, should this be implemented, who will even see it? Players will be in the Marshal stack, or still out on mission, while this animation is going on. That makes the value of adding such animation questionable. 

Every flight lead in the port holding will see this, as what they should be doing is staring at the deck so that they can observe the launches finish, and observe the waist being wrapped up so they can time the commence so as to arrive at the start with the smallest possible interval between the landing area being cleared. 

The problem is that the SC module does nothing to promote cyclic ops, so no one knows this.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Swiftwin9s said:

Every flight lead in the port holding will see this, as what they should be doing is staring at the deck so that they can observe the launches finish, and observe the waist being wrapped up so they can time the commence so as to arrive at the start with the smallest possible interval between the landing area being cleared. 

The problem is that the SC module does nothing to promote cyclic ops, so no one knows this.

Ah, for the zip-lip CASE I if/when cyclic ops are implemented? That would be cool if you could actually see the deck crew from the stack without max zoom. Then again, I thought real-world procedure was to time your Commence off of the last launch, not off of what the deck crew was doing...

Edited by Nealius

23 hours ago, Nealius said:

Ah, for the zip-lip CASE I if/when cyclic ops are implemented? That would be cool if you could actually see the deck crew from the stack without max zoom. Then again, I thought real-world procedure was to time your Commence off of the last launch, not off of what the deck crew was doing...

This is what we (Directors/Deck Callers) were told. The minute that the aircraft in the lower stack saw the last shot off of the waist, they would commence. We also for the Flight Deck Beacons on all for sides of the Island. The Green beacon can be seen also. I see them on the Island in DCS but they are not active.

One other thing. With Cyclic ops, the ship turns into the wind for launch and recovery operations. Once the recovery is complete, the ship turns back to PIM (Position of intended movement) after catching the Helos. Just before launch, she will turn back into the wind for the next launch/recovery cycle. Wash, rinse, repeat! 

I wonder if DCS can handle all of it to be honest!

6 hours ago, Jackjack171 said:

One other thing. With Cyclic ops, the ship turns into the wind for launch and recovery operations. Once the recovery is complete, the ship turns back to PIM (Position of intended movement) after catching the Helos. Just before launch, she will turn back into the wind for the next launch/recovery cycle. Wash, rinse, repeat! 

I wonder if DCS can handle all of it to be honest!

It can, because I've seen it done by a script.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2021 at 6:19 AM, Nealius said:

We're getting a PriFly position, and there's nothing stopping players from being on deck when landing, even if purely spectating.

As for cyclic operations, I hope ED goes for it and some time, there's some cross-over with regular ground based ATC, and I think getting these systems to coordinate properly with launching and recovering aircraft (both on carriers and on land) should be an important part of the SC and new ATC (that other sim does the latter at least).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.