"Tarheel Hal" 358th Fighter Group

BoNidle

"Tarheel Hal" was assigned to Lt Ike Davis of the 366th Fighter Squadron. I believe he lost his life just beofre the end of the war when shot down in this aircraft. (I stand to be corrected on that by anyone with better information).

One of the most well known Jugs, (albeit mainly from a single photograph, although legend has it others exist I have never seen them!) it was certainly one of the most flamboyantly painted.

I have used a variety of sources, mainly the well known photograph shown below, as well as a couple of respected decal and model manufacturers and I believe this to be as accurate as I can get it.

All art has been scratch built and follows the pattern on the actual aircraft which shows the blue design carried over the wingroots.

The antiglare panel can be seen in the photo at both the front and the rear sections of the fuselage, so a lot of illustrations/decal manufacturers and warbird restorers got this bit wrong as the design is frequently shown as wrapping over the top of the front of the aircraft and extending towards the fin.

The underside of the flaps show the faded stain of invasion stripes that were still visible even at the end of the war.

I copied the crew names from the Hasegawa decal sheet. I think they are accurate, although I would not want to bet real money on that.

There is a lot of different opinions on the colours and style of writing used in the name. I have chosen the Western font type style with abit of surgery on it here and there, and coloured it yellow with white drop shadow based on the available info.

I still haven't worked out how to paint the moving spinner yet!!!

Shout out to Warlord64 for his template which has been very welcome whilst waiting for the official template to arrive.

Thank you for your work mate, it has been appreciated.

"Tarheel Hal" has been sent in to User Files tonight and should be up soon.

d0dGZoz.jpg

jMh9TvF.jpg

vDX1qhu.jpg

Edited by BoNidle
  • Like 1