Adverse Yaw?

Andurula

The C101 module exhitibits virtually no adverse yaw in DCS.  The slip ball does quiver slightly with a roll input suggesting something is being modeled but the effect is so slight as to be non-extistent.  There is certainly no need to add rudder input when initiating a normal banked turn.   I am curious, does the "real life" C101 have an aileron/rudder interconnect system of some sort or is this just a gap in the modeling?

In fact, the C-101 does have adverse yaw. Once you deflect the ailerons, the nose will yaw in opposite direction to the roll, once you center the ailerons the nose will "fall" in the same direction of the roll. You can notice this by taking an outside visual reference in front of the aircraft nose, or using the piper (recticle) in the C-101CC. The harder you bank the greater the adverse yaw will be. Since this airplane has near neutral lateral stability, there is no need to keep ailerons deflected once the roll is stablished, therefore adverse yaw will be near zero in that situation.

You can also watch the behaviour of the ball in the turn and slip indicator, which fits with what I've described above: ball displacement while applying ailerons and near centered when the roll is stablished and ailerons are neutral.

• Like 1

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sigpic97175_2_small.pngAERGES-LOGO-sin_fondo_small.png

Well, yes, there is some adverse yaw.  However it is so slight as to be neglible and from a sim perspective there is no need to add rudder input.  That is what made me wonder if the C101 had an interconnect.

I just went back to check.  I am using the lastest open beta.  My most violent aileron inputs barely gets the slip ball to touch the centering lines.  From an external view, looking straight down, the nose deviates...  20-30cm?

So, yes, you are correct it is modeled but it is very slight.  I would have expected more from an airframe that is so short coupled. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Still my favorite aircraft in DCS.

Deflecting the control stick fully to one side makes the ball, in the slip ball indicator, slide completely to one side, especially if you push forward on the stick. I must mention that slip ball deflection depends on several forces, not only on lateral acceleration, and on the position relatively to the center of mass of the airplane is of importance here. So, you will see a different behaviour in the front and rear seats, and depending on the way you execute the roll or the side to which you make the roll.

Comparing with other aircrafts in DCS, I don't see a large difference with the behaviour in other airplanes like the L-39, or the P-51 Mustang. Though Yak-52 exhibits a larger adverse yaw effect in fact.

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Deflecting the control stick fully to one side makes the ball, in the slip ball indicator, slide completely to one side"

Huh... that's definitely not my experience.  From the front seat with no rudder input.

https://youtu.be/RQpFVfv5iBI

I haven't really compared to other DCS aircraft.  I am just comparing to my experience flying actual airplanes.  I have never flown a C101 or anything similar to it though so that is why I am just questioning it, and not critisizing it.  It appeared like an aircraft with an interconnect system or SAS which is why I started asking.

Try to make the roll without pulling back on the stick, rather centered or a bit forward. This also depends on the viscosity factor set to the liquid inside the slip ball indicator. We made tests comparing with real aircraft videos for the matter. In any case, the adverse yaw of this airplane seems to be lower than, let's say, the one in a typical light plane.

• Like 1

Roberto "Vibora" Seoane

Alas Rojas

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]