Reinstalling DCS onto a new PC

Hi All,

As im about to receive my new PC, i would like to inquire how am i gonna transfer DCS onto the new PC. I know i cant just uninstall my DCS folder as my licenses will be affected. Any guides and tips on how i can i do this please. I am willing to do a fresh install since its a new PC. Any feedback is very appreciated.

Thank you

If you want Peace, be prepared to fight for it ! :pilotfly:

2 hours ago, gizmo said:

As im about to receive my new PC, i would like to inquire how am i gonna transfer DCS onto the new PC. I know i cant just uninstall my DCS folder as my licenses will be affected.

not so, on the current DCS the licenses are bound to your user-account, not to the machine, so there is no need to deactivate-reactivate licenses. Just make a regular backup copy of both:

/program files/eagle dynamics/

/saved games/dcs or dcs.openbeta/

and place them on the same Paths of the new machine.

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

51 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

Noted and Thank you

not so, on the current DCS the licenses are bound to your user-account, not to the machine, so there is no need to deactivate-reactivate licenses. Just make a regular backup copy of both:

/program files/eagle dynamics/

/saved games/dcs or dcs.openbeta/

and place them on the same Paths of the new machine.

1 hour ago, thrustvector said:

i just swapped HD to SSD, so you could do the same, really simple, de-activate your modules on old pc, clone your drive to new one, reactivate on new pc, not a single prob here+-

or i guess just swap your drives to new pc?

Noted and Thank you

If you want Peace, be prepared to fight for it ! :pilotfly:

Keep in mind, your old controls config files will most likely not be automaically recognized on new PC (even if correctly pasted in the Saved Games location) because of different USB device IDs assigned by fresh install of Windows system to your joystick, throttle etc. 

Sou you will have to spend a few minutes loading your backed-up profiles manually one by one in controls settings menu to make them work again. Not a big deal though, and certainly better than reassigning everything from scratch!

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

41 minutes ago, thrustvector said:

that why its handy to do as i did, no change needed as its either the same drive/and or cloned 🙂

Its not the same situation, you only moved the software from one disk to another on the same computer. The OP wants to move DCS to a new computer.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

13 minutes ago, thrustvector said:

well if u clone the drive then surely you are moving it too a new pc?

Moving DCS to a new PC is different than just moving it to another disk on the same PC, because DCS on a new PC will assign brand new USB names for the Hotas .. this means that your old config files will not work on the new PC and you will need to rename them, which is what @Art-J was reffering to.

5 minutes ago, thrustvector said:

i moved mine to a new pc as well all stayed the same with no prob tho?

ok .. then I guess you are right and I'm wrong, no point on debating this further.