Virpil Throttle Tutorial (updated for new software version)

HC_Official

Thanks for that, should come in handy for me here soon.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

First question, where did you get the 20201211 software?  The 20201118 is still the latest on the Virpil site.

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

On 12/31/2020 at 4:37 PM, dburne said:

Thanks for that, should come in handy for me here soon.

Don, if you are not aware of HC's videos, they are very useful for all sorts of aspects of VPC devices.  However, I will make a couple of caveats.  Firstly, some of them are quite out of date in terms of aspects of the software. Most of the time you can work round this as the equivalent is obvious, but not always.

Secondly, he uses an older version of the throttle, and sometimes that conflicts with the newer CM2 and presumably CM3.  For example, in this video, he says the encoders are 12 click turns, but the CM2 (and CM3, I guess) are 24 click turns.

Also, I would recommend trying default settings for switches etc. before considering changing them.  For example, the video recommends changing the 'T' switches to 'toggle on', but, in my personal opinion, they are better off at 'normal' as there are loads of momentary buttons and the 'always on till switched back down' aspect of the 'T' switches is pretty useful, e.g. some canopy switches need to be on till all the way down/up.

But, as I said, his videos are incredibly useful, and I highly recommend anyone new to Virpil devices to watch them all!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

16 minutes ago, imacken said:

Don, if you are not aware of HC's videos, they are very useful for all sorts of aspects of VPC devices.  However, I will make a couple of caveats.  Firstly, some of them are quite out of date in terms of aspects of the software. Most of the time you can work round this as the equivalent is obvious, but not always.

Secondly, he uses an older version of the throttle, and sometimes that conflicts with the newer CM2 and presumably CM3.  For example, in this video, he says the encoders are 12 click turns, but the CM2 (and CM3, I guess) are 24 click turns.

Also, I would recommend trying default settings for switches etc. before considering changing them.  For example, the video recommends changing the 'T' switches to 'toggle on', but, in my personal opinion, they are better off at 'normal' as there are loads of momentary buttons and the 'always on till switched back down' aspect of the 'T' switches is pretty useful, e.g. some canopy switches need to be on till all the way down/up.

But, as I said, his videos are incredibly useful, and I highly recommend anyone new to Virpil devices to watch them all!

Gotcha much thanks for the feedback!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, imacken said:

I have re-done a few of them that refer to older versions (and these have links to the updated videos) or they are marked as outdated

The software GUI does keep changing but a lot of things are still named the same way, so most videos are still relevant

Unknown if you are correct about encoder dials, I just asked the Virpil design engineer  how many clicks per rotation they are using and he said 12 apart from the Scroll wheels on Alphas and deltas grips

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Just now, HC_Official said:

I have re-done a few of them that refer to older versions (and these have links to the updated videos) or they are marked as outdated

The software GUI does keep changing but a lot of things are still named the same way, so most videos are still relevant

Unknown if you are correct about encoder dials, I just asked the Virpil design engineer  how many clicks per rotation they are using and he said 12 apart from the Scroll wheels on Alphas and deltas grips

Yep, as I said, some things can be worked around.  Of course it's impossible to keep up with all the changes. No criticism intended.

Sorry, but there is nothing unknown about the 24 clicks. I have counted them on my CM2, and this has been mentioned before on the Virpil forum, I think.

8 minutes ago, imacken said:

Yep, as I said, some things can be worked around.  Of course it's impossible to keep up with all the changes. No criticism intended.

Sorry, but there is nothing unknown about the 24 clicks. I have counted them on my CM2, and this has been mentioned before on the Virpil forum, I think.

Good to know

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.