Prediction: January 6th Sale Spike

Rex

Man, I'm like a kid in a candy store with this "try everything" period, and I've already  gotten into two or three vehicles that I won't want to lose come January 6th. 

One of them is the Huey, which is a lot more fun to fly than I thought it would be.

Have you found any new favorites in the open trial period?

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Not new favourites, but I realised that the F14B is still my favourite aircraft. Did you already tested the F14 and what’s your opinion?

But I also enjoyed the UH1. Very cool to fly such close to the ground or around a carrier. Especially in VR.

Edited by Max Thunder
12700k | 3090 | 64GB DDR4 | WD SN850X | Quest 3

For me the channel map was a really big surprise. I thought it would be a bit better than Normandy but it's huge leap from Normandy. Elevation changes makes flying in the map a real joy. And I tested Spitfire for the first time and really fell for it. If I compare PG map and FS2020 there's really big difference in cities. But when I fly in channel map I don't even think about FS2020 anymore. At least for me it's looking that good. And at last I got to test Syria map. Syria is new map but still I think that channel map has the best towns in dcs. Thanks a lot for the free fly ED.

Edited by vermu

2 hours ago, vermu said:

For me the channel map was a really big surprise. I thought it would be a bit better than Normandy but it's huge leap from Normandy. Elevation changes makes flying in the map a real joy. And I tested Spitfire for the first time and really fell for it. If I compare PG map and FS2020 there's really big difference in cities. But when I fly in channel map I don't even think about FS2020 anymore. At least for me it's looking that good. And at last I got to test Syria map. Syria is new map but still I think that channel map has the best towns in dcs. Thanks a lot for the free fly ED.

Agreed, that map is wonderful. Hopefully the new cpu will fix the stutters in Channel over cities, if it doesn’t I won’t buy it. Even Syria is smooth on my rig, but somehow the Channel isn’t... a damn shame.

This free trial period is a double edged sword, as I found a couple of aircrafts I was curious about but won’t buy as I don’t see myself flying them long term, after trying them. They are great, just not for me. So I have saved money thanks to this trial...

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

I only recently got into DCS and that was mainly for the choppers, the Huey in particular. (I own the Huey and Black Shark now.) So this free period was a great chance to try out some fixed wing content for a change. Never intended to actually buy one at this time, but of course that's the point isn't it? The whole "once you pop, you can't stop" thing! 😝

Funds limited me to choosing just one plane to permanently add to my collection. After much thought I finally went with the Harrier. Part of me wanted something supersonic and a bit more capable in the A2A department, but the Harrier has been a favourite of mine at airshows since I was a kid. It's disappearance due to retirement from the RAF probably played a part in swaying me too... and perhaps because it's a go-between for my beloved choppers! 

• Like 2

I was hooked on DCS thanks to the recent DCS play-for-free event on Steam.

So much so that I bought 31 modules / campaigns / maps / asset packs for roughly $680. Thanks to the Steam Winter Sale, I saved roughly $450 (40% discount).

The only product that I wanted but did not buy was the Syria Map. Apparently, there is more work to be done on it and it wasn't on sale.

I also ended up buying TacView Advanced Edition since it was bundled with Command: Modern Operations (another game that I am interested in playing).

Definitely looking forward to learning all these aircraft over the next decade or so!

Edited by alphagamer4

PC Setup: i7-8700K CPU @5 GHz | 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz | EVGA RTX 3080 GPU | LG 27GL83A-B 27" Ultragear QHD IPS 1ms 144Hz NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Space Combat Edition’ Premium Grip | TrackIR5 system | Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle.

Airframes: A10C | A10CII | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-5E | F-86F | JF-17 | M-2000C | AV-8B | MiG-15Bis | MiG-15Bis | Ka-50 Black Shark 2 helicopter | FC3. (All  purchased on STEAM)

Modules: Supercarrier | WW2 Assets Pack | Raven One | Serpent's Head 2 | The Ultimate Argument | The Georgian War | Aggressors BFM | M-2000C Red Flag | F-15C Red Flag | Aggressors ACM | The Enemy Within 3.0 | A-10C Red Flag | The Museum Relic Campaign. (All purchased on STEAM)

Maps: Persian Gulf | Nevada NTTR. (All purchased on STEAM)

So much so that I bought 31 modules / campaigns / maps / asset packs for roughly $680. Thanks to the Steam Winter Sale, I saved roughly $450 (40% discount).

The only product that I wanted but did not buy was the Syria Map. Apparently, there is more work to be done on it and it wasn't on sale.

I also ended up buying TacView Advanced Edition since it was bundled with Command: Modern Operations (another game that I am interested in playing).

Definitely looking forward to learning all these aircraft over the next decade or so!
Omg....

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

On 1/6/2021 at 12:11 AM, Goffik said:

I only recently got into DCS and that was mainly for the choppers, the Huey in particular. (I own the Huey and Black Shark now.) So this free period was a great chance to try out some fixed wing content for a change. Never intended to actually buy one at this time, but of course that's the point isn't it? The whole "once you pop, you can't stop" thing! 😝

Funds limited me to choosing just one plane to permanently add to my collection. After much thought I finally went with the Harrier. Part of me wanted something supersonic and a bit more capable in the A2A department, but the Harrier has been a favourite of mine at airshows since I was a kid. It's disappearance due to retirement from the RAF probably played a part in swaying me too... and perhaps because it's a go-between for my beloved choppers! 

Your story is almost identical to mine.

I recommend the Mirage 2000 next, to compliment your Air to Ground with more Air to Air focus (though retaining ground strike) in a very complete and fun modern-ish jet.

When you've got the basics, be sure to play the included campaign by Baltic Dragon, it is most immersive.

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 6:22 AM, alphagamer4 said:

hahah grats. Reminds me of my star citizen days until I realized it’s a scam.

43 minutes ago, DaWu said:

hahah grats. Reminds me of my star citizen days until I realized it’s a scam.

Your point is well taken! At least I got this game at a discount (as opposed to spending $5000 on just one starship).

I am disappointed that the DCS replay track system is broken and hasn't been fixed yet though, despite many gamers reporting this.

PC Setup: i7-8700K CPU @5 GHz | 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz | EVGA RTX 3080 GPU | LG 27GL83A-B 27" Ultragear QHD IPS 1ms 144Hz NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible Gaming Monitor | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Space Combat Edition’ Premium Grip | TrackIR5 system | Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle.

Airframes: A10C | A10CII | F/A-18C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-5E | F-86F | JF-17 | M-2000C | AV-8B | MiG-15Bis | MiG-15Bis | Ka-50 Black Shark 2 helicopter | FC3. (All  purchased on STEAM)

Modules: Supercarrier | WW2 Assets Pack | Raven One | Serpent's Head 2 | The Ultimate Argument | The Georgian War | Aggressors BFM | M-2000C Red Flag | F-15C Red Flag | Aggressors ACM | The Enemy Within 3.0 | A-10C Red Flag | The Museum Relic Campaign. (All purchased on STEAM)

Maps: Persian Gulf | Nevada NTTR. (All purchased on STEAM)

On 1/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, DimSim said:

I recommend the Mirage 2000 next, to compliment your Air to Ground with more Air to Air focus (though retaining ground strike) in a very complete and fun modern-ish jet.

Thanks for the recommendation! The Mirage was one of the other jets on my shortlist as I really enjoyed testing it. I'll bump it up a spot ready for when I have more funds! 😉

• Like 1