[FEATURE REQUEST] Some radio improvements needed

El Chapo

Hello, 

It would be nice to improve radios use by correcting these items:

- repeater : they repeat the preset channel when on preset, or the full frequency if manually entered. Therefore you can only have presets displayed on red box.

- CLR button: first push clears last digit entered. Second push clears all the field. 

- There is a bug if you enter a 6th digit on manual frequency. Nothing should happen until you push VLD. 

- XFR button should send you back to the previous validated frequency. E.g. if you enter 123.450 then VLD then 10 then VLD then XFR, you come back to 123.450.

Thanks 

Where is this information coming from? Is this your own personal opinion or actual funtion from the document. If it from the document please make sure you abide by Forum Rule 1.16.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [INVESTIGATING] Some radio improvements needed

We already discussed it. It is an IRL user's feedback. Open source pictures attached to support my saying.

Other discrepancies below:

- Upper line on the repeater is for UHF, while lower is for V/UHF. It is logical, since it reproduces the location of the radio boxes.

- The repeater's line is flashing when radio is emitting, to make sure you use the correct frequency when speaking.

- A green light is "on" when receiving on an active frequency (cf. pictures attached: the small green line on top of the upper repeater's line means the UHF box is currently receiving).

- Before the frequency you have a reminder of the radio mode (same, cf. picture): FF for fixed frequency, HQ for have quick mode (other modes exist but they are not even implemented on the plane, therefore never in use).

On that M2000C cockpit picture you can see that V/UHF box is on preset frequency 016 (FF P 016). If you were on 123.450 MHz it would be written FF 123.45 (6th digit is implied, step between frequencies is 0.025 MHz so 123.47 is for 123.475 MHz).

And as you can see on the upper line, the repeater is a 8 digit screen per line (you can see 8 *, because the box is off or in self-test).

There would be plenty more details that could be developped regarding the radio, but fixing these few points would bring a great added-value to the radio, since I find them quite far from the real plane's ones, and thus sometimes difficult to use.

Thanks

M2000C.jpg

2000c.jpg

Edited by Габихан
  • Thanks 2

I might add that the MEM/XFR behaviour around buffer memory is described in Razbam Manual, page 83:

10. MEM/CLR BUTTON. This will show the value recorded in the buffer memory (can be
a channel or frequency). If keypad was used to enter frequency or channel, the button
displays CLR option, used to delete the previous input.

12. XFR / VAL BUTTON. XFR (TRANSFER) allows to return to the previously used channel
or frequency. Whenever a new channel is used or new manual frequency is entered and
validated, the previous one is placed in the buffer memory. You can switch between
them using the XFR button. If keypad is used to enter frequency or channel, the button
displays VAL, used to validate that input.

Edited by Steph21

Hi

We can add this concerning V/UHF radio:

-MEM button doesn't work (already noticed)

-XFR button doesnt work as intended, it should allows to switch between active and memory frequency.(already noticed)

-Chanel selection with dial pad doesn't work as intended. If you press X, it selects CH X+1, up tu CH 9 then it's normal.

-Mode selector has a weird behavior, you can turn it all the round by left click then normal oprating mode become HQ instead of FF.

-Squelch doesn't work

-Guard overlay doesn't work

-Guard selection on mode selector doesn't work.

@Tumbleweed1606688689I noticed the weird ff behavior when switching the mode too far and coming back to FF.

I believe I read in the manual that squelch and guard are not implemented but I could be wrong. 

Other than that, thanks to OP for the IRL feedback! 

Strike Posture Set CAS Center of Excellence

Intel Core i5 4690k @4,6Ghz, Gigabyte GTX 970 OC, Gigabyte Z97-X, 16GB G Skill Sniper @2400, Samsung 860/850 EVO , Win 10 64 bits, Dual monitors 27"@144"Opentrack + TM Warthog + Saitek pro flight combat 

So I'm going to move this to the main Mirage subforum and see if this can be confirmed and grow some traction. From what I know, DCS doesn't use active radio communications like SRS for example and therefore the indicator with the radio call coming in would be impossible as we dont have an argument for that. It would onlu work if we tied it the the UHF/ VuHF button that would be player controlled. FWIW we are just as limited as to what we can display with the radios as we are with the IFF.

• Like 1

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [FEATURE REQUEST] Some radio improvements needed
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it possible change the preset-frequency associations in flight for the V/UHF radio?

If it is impossible to implement the round light on reception then it's probably best to simply have it non-functional. If active frequency flashes on transmission then that should be the case in DCS.