Can't get JTAC to use IR pointer in my missions....

Ballinger French

Hi,

I can't seem to make my JTACs use an IR pointer to mark targets during night attacks in my missions.     I assign the IR pointer to them, but they always tell me, "no mark" during the nine line.   I've also tried using various unarmed vehicles as FACs, including all types of Humvees, as well as armed vehicles like APCs.    I've also tried adjusting the range from anywhere to 1 mile to 1000  ft, but FACs still won't give me an IR point.  

Also have tried using a Predator drone as FAC, but same thing - no IR pointer.  

Also, in nighttime conditions, my JTACs are always giving me a Type 3 attack profile in the nine line and I'm wondering if this is because they can't 'see' at night for some reason?   With the same mission in daytime conditions, my JTACs will always use a Type 2 profile.   

Is this a known bug with the current Open Beta or am I just not doing something correctly?  

Thank you and Happy New Year.    :clap:

7 hours ago, Ballinger French said:

I can't seem to make my JTACs use an IR pointer to mark targets during night attacks in my missions.

1.  I assign the IR pointer to them, but they always tell me, "no mark" during the nine line.
  2.  I've also tried using various unarmed vehicles as FACs, including all types of Humvees, as well as armed vehicles like APCs.
  3.  I've also tried adjusting the range from anywhere to 1 mile to 1000  ft, but FACs still won't give me an IR point.  
  4. Also have tried using a Predator drone as FAC, but same thing - no IR pointer.  

Might be new bug, as the Predator Drone should work with out issues.

But when I was having similar issues some time ago, I changed the ground JTAC vehicle from the standard "hummer armed or tow vehicle" to a Stryker that has advanced laser and IR equipment to make it work (Ground JTAC vehicle always has to be an armed unit and for night ops, must have optical, so Stryker is best bet).

I also had one ED mission that suffered from the same issues you are describing, ground JTAC had clear line of sight, was in laser / IR range <5km, but I had to reduce the distance to targets and it was very particular about the position on the map for it to lase even though it was on a hill overlooking targets originally I had to move the JTAC down onto the flat plain for to work.

Regards, Ian.

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Well, the good news is I finally got the Predator to IR mark a target for me.    Nighttime target designation is one of the more cooler things you can do in DCS IMHO.   😁   Not having any luck with any of the ground vehicles at night though, including either version of the Stryker, unfortunately.   Perhaps, as you say Ian, getting all the JTACS and targets situated in the right alignment/range is critical here.  

The Predator is awesome though, especially with EPLRs and unrestricted datalink range - ground JTACs require line of sight to aircraft for datalink to work, and EPLRs can be obstructed in a valley or urban settings with high buildings.  

Will play around with ground JTAC vehicles some more and see if I can't make progress. 

Thanks again for your insight.   

Edited by Ballinger French

9 hours ago, Ballinger French said:

Well, the good news is I finally got the Predator to IR mark a target for me.

Not having any luck with any of the ground vehicles at night though, including either version of the Stryker, unfortunately.

Will play around with ground JTAC vehicles some more and see if I can't make progress.

Thanks again for your insight.   

Glad I can help.

I had a play with JTAC again with my testing file, and it is still a very hit and miss proposion, just doesn't make sense when it doesn't work.

Best vehicles are the Hummer Tow, M1134 Stryker ATGM version, Not sure how well their ranges for optical IR / Laser are modeled, but IRL they are about 4000 for TOW and 2000-2400m for the Stryker if I remember correctly.

DCS still gives you the Line of Sight is OK (<=5km) but the opticals may not even go that far, Ground vehicle placement seem best positioned less than 2000m and at an elevation the same or greater than the targets.

I have no guaranteed procedure for JTAC, its complicated and unreliable, so experimenting is the only way.

I may attach my test file later on, If I get it 100% reliable.

Regards, Ian.

Test - JTAC test 4.miz

Edited by MadDog-IC
Added mission file

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.

Hi Ian,

I've now managed to get a ATGM Stryker to work with IR pointing, but like you I've no real idea why one mission works in particular whilst others do not.   

Thank you for uploading your working mission!   I will look at your .miz file to see if I can find some common ground.