That is one thirsty engine

DmitriKozlowsky

Max fuel flow of 80,000lb per hour. So Yes... Shes thirsty hehe.

Its actually more to the point that the F-16 doesn't have much gas. so its usually best to take two bags rather than a centreline. 

Most QRA jets are setup that way for that reason.

Belgian-Air-Force-intercept-Russian-Air-Force.jpg

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

This is actually modelled wrong as of now. I hope they fix it in future updates. 

The CL fuel tank has a maximum transfer rate of around 18000 pph or 300 ppm. At 2010 lbs capacity it'll take approximately 6-7 minutes to deplete. 

The External wing tanks have a combined maximum transfer rate of about 30000 pph or 15000 pph each so even with 3 bags the combined external fuel transfer rate at seal level still could not keep up with the internal depletion rate. There is a warning in the -1 to not use burner for prolonged periods due to risk of trapped fuel or even a flame out.

Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

System Specs: Virpil WarBRD Base, Virpil Mongoose T-50CM stick w/Virpil desk mount, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/Virpil desk mount, MFG Crosswind RP, TrackIR 5, Stream Deck 32, Windows 11 Home 64-bit, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB DDR4 3600, Asus X570 TUF Gaming Pro WiFi MoBo, XFX RX 6800 XT Merc 319, 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 1TB Toshiba HDD 7200rpm, 2TB WD Blue HDD 5400rpm, 1TB WD Black 750 NVMe M.2 SSD, No Optical drive, Onboard Audio + Avid Eleven Rack Audio Interface.

1 hour ago, NorgeNate said:

This is actually modelled wrong as of now. I hope they fix it in future updates. 

Interesting note! Have you reported this in the bugs section?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yes, I have. it's been a while though so who knows if it's in the works or not.

Edited by NorgeNate

System Specs: Virpil WarBRD Base, Virpil Mongoose T-50CM stick w/Virpil desk mount, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS w/Virpil desk mount, MFG Crosswind RP, TrackIR 5, Stream Deck 32, Windows 11 Home 64-bit, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB DDR4 3600, Asus X570 TUF Gaming Pro WiFi MoBo, XFX RX 6800 XT Merc 319, 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 1TB Toshiba HDD 7200rpm, 2TB WD Blue HDD 5400rpm, 1TB WD Black 750 NVMe M.2 SSD, No Optical drive, Onboard Audio + Avid Eleven Rack Audio Interface.

6 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Need to learn inflight refueling in Viper.

This is always a good skill to have. And because the F16 has so little fuel this is the reason she is the first aircraft I ever went thru the pain of learning to air refuel.

She is actually not that thirsty. When I fly with my F18 buddies I have less than half of their fuel flow - but they can carry more.

Hold on there cowpokes. You are wrecking my reality. My belief is-was-back to is that when external tanks are used first before internal fuel. Here I am being led to believe that fuel flow in Viper is from main tanks to feed tanks to engine. With fuel from tanks used to replenish main tanks, as fuel is sucked from mains. With fuel management and transfer regarding CG, being done automatically by Viper's avionics.

3 hours ago, NorgeNate said:

The CL fuel tank has a maximum transfer rate of around 18000 pph or 300 ppm. At 2010 lbs capacity it'll take approximately 6-7 minutes to deplete. 

The External wing tanks have a combined maximum transfer rate of about 30000 pph or 15000 pph each so even with 3 bags the combined external fuel transfer rate at seal level still could not keep up with the internal depletion rate. There is a warning in the -1 to not use burner for prolonged periods due to risk of trapped fuel or even a flame out.

Hopefully they get this fixed soon.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious. '-1' you mean manufacturer's A-1 flight manual correct?  For example T.O. 1T-38A-1 is dash ONE for T-38 aircraft.

As a thank you here is the link to declassified dash ONE for SR-71A. Yep, my jaw dropped also. 

https://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/manual/

Edited by DmitriKozlowsky

6 hours ago, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Hold on there cowpokes. You are wrecking my reality. My belief is-was-back to is that when external tanks are used first before internal fuel. Here I am being led to believe that fuel flow in Viper is from main tanks to feed tanks to engine. With fuel from tanks used to replenish main tanks, as fuel is sucked from mains. With fuel management and transfer regarding CG, being done automatically by Viper's avionics.

it has been a bit,  and I was not fuels,  but iirc the bladder tank right behind the pilot and the aft tank serve as the primary fuel sources to the engine, then everything else feed them.

Assuming normal operation the wing and centerline tank will eventually drain first just cause everything is routed that way.  But if you just run AB all day long, you would starve the primary feeds iirc.  I am going of vague memories and iirc would of been stuff I asked the fuels guys out of curiosity so no guarantee I am right.

The FWD and AFT Reservoir are the main fuel supply to the engine. External wing tanks feed the wing that it is attached to, and the centerline will feed both wings.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

10 hours ago, RustBelt said:

So if ED fixes this we can expect to then see constant posts of "My engine died and I still have a bunch of fuel!" 

Yes... And it will be glorious. 😂

Proud owner of:

On 12/30/2020 at 11:32 PM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Yes, your belief is accurate. That is basically how it works. It's just the fuel flow rate from the internal tanks is much higher than the flow rate from the external tanks.

17 hours ago, RustBelt said:

So if ED fixes this we can expect to then see constant posts of "My engine died and I still have a bunch of fuel!" 

Absolutely, but you would really need to fly in burner for quite a long time before any issues or imbalances were to happen.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:10 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Apologies if I am stating the obvious. '-1' you mean manufacturer's A-1 flight manual correct?  For example T.O. 1T-38A-1 is dash ONE for T-38 aircraft.

Yes

7 hours ago, Deano87 said:

Yes... And it will be glorious. 😂

I agree🤣

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 5:32 PM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

Yes but no. Fuel travels through the -16 in a sort of conga line. Fuel in tank A replaces fuel in tank B which replaces fuel in tank C which replaces fuel in tank D which flows into the engine. The replacement causes the fuel levels to drop in tank A first then tank B then tank C and then tank D but it's actually D which is fueling the engine and D gets its fuel from C which gets it from B which gets it from A.

Wings First is for when three bags are carried, as it is named when in wings first the external fuel tanks transfer before the centerline. If it in NORM the centerline feeds first. 

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

• 2 weeks later...