Question that may be of use to all those "I am thinking about going to VR" pilots...

Allentc2

As mentioned elsewhere, I've really not flown much in DCS. Main reason is that while my laptop is capable of running it, sitting on the couch trying to move your head around in the cockpit with a POV switch and keyboard commands just isn't "fun". I'm sure I'm not the only one who has drooled over some of the desktop setups some folks have, so I decided to explore building up one of my own. First shocker was seeing how much the price on the TM A-10 HOTAS increased. 

Second shocker was seeing how VR worked in DCS. And I have to say, I'm smitten.

A quick bit of background on me before I ask the question. I have assembled a couple of PCs before. Nothing crazy, no overclocking or crazy LED-lit water cooling systems. I've also piddled around with computer files related to games. Mainly changing skins of aircraft in War Thunder. I am, by no means, a computer guy.

So the question is this.....

I had assumed (and we all know what that means) that a VR set-up would require me to 1) build a capable machine, 2) get the headset and install it, and 3) tweak settings in game to get the desired result. After browsing some of the threads in here (many of which seemed pretty damn technical when it comes to computers, GPUs, etc.) I get the feeling there is a LOT more involved with totally immersing myself in the sim. Like altering lines of code? Having multiple programs running (WMR? SteamVR? I only use Steam for ArmA 3!!!)? In short, I gather this is not just a "plug n' play" decision.

Thanks for your patience!

you havent asked a question ?

or if you did it was "Like altering lines of code?" and having multiple programs running ?  

the answer to the first is no you arent going to have to touch code; configs file maybe, thats not "code", well maybe it is but a particularly low level...

having multiple programs running, yes  you will depending on the headset , but for a WMR headset you will need WMR and SteamVR running?

you dont mention your PC specs, but most people can get a relatively good experience at 45FPS with very little fiddling ... that said laptop GBP  per frame, is the most expensive decision you can make, and as i have said earlier, you can expect about 1/2-1/3 of the frames generically that you get on the desktop (for the same size monitor in individual eyeframe my desktop monitor, is 2560 x 1440, thats a little smaller than my G2... per eye 3.6 vs 4.6m   on my g2) so if that gets you 45fps then you are likely to be "good" otherwise you will likely need to fiddle... and thats where it will get more technical...  there are tons of guides out there for getting started on various headsets.. you can judge if they are technical or not.

but it is worth it... 🙂 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

31 minutes ago, Allentc2 said:

In short, I gather this is not just a "plug n' play" decision.

I assume that was the question.  No, it is not plug and play.  But neither are any of the planes in DCS are.  Most of them require you to study tutorials and manuals.  DCS itself isn't plug and play.  You'll have to spend time adjusting settings and controls.  So in that sense, setting up VR is simpler than flying.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 1

And you will probably have several ancillary programs running in the background: Voice Attack ( or other voice program), WMR, SteamVR, Virtual Kneeboard, SRS (multiplayer). These programs are not required, per se, but materially enhance the DCS experience.

Not really all that complex.

Pretty much all I do for my VR experience is to keep my os somewhat boost free.

But that's nothing much i haven't been doing for regular gaming either.

VR sets can be finicky with certain USB controllers but that is mostly an issue with older motherboards.

These days vr are getting pretty much plug and play.

The rest is mostly just additions to ease a lack of desired functionality.

Voice attack for instance is handy and also a powerful macro tool.

Going with laptops are also more tricky, few these days sport many connections most just feature HDMI ports and not the common DP port.

Edited by Bob_Bushman

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

For me VR was a plug and play decision, maybe because I bought a Oculus Rift, I was playing DCS, ARMA 3, Elite dangerous with a Track IR. Thought about getting a bigger monitor then remembered about VR. Saw the price for the Rift was cheaper than the monitors I was looking at and bought one. Installed Oculus Home, fired up DCS world, set the VR button and started playing. I have had my Rift for maybe 2 years and in total, spent less than 2 hours pratting about with settings, mainly when a new patch comes out to see if I can set things higher. I am running a 9 year old computer with a newish GFX card, MSAA 4X, AA 16X, PD 1.6, Ultra View, 150000 pre load and I never drop below 45 FPS. So VR is easier than you might be thinking it is Allentc2. 

Edit, You also don't need the latest and greatest PC to run it either.

Edited by Bearskin
  • Like 1

Z790, 13700K, RTX4080, 32 gig RAM, Warthog,  WarBRD base , Virpil Pedals, Pico 4

Man, I did totally miss actually putting a question in there, didn't I? 🤪

The question was "Will I need to futz about with a ton of other stuff in order to use VR?". And yes, I realize I have to study quite a bit to fly effectively, but that falls under "play". Messing with files does not. 😆

The laptop is my current computer. I'm thinking of building a desktop. As for this future computer's specs, that's still ongoing. I have narrowed it a bit....RTX 3080 GPU, at least 32gb RAM, probably more. AMD processor, most likely Ryzen 7 series. X570 motherboard. My budget is around $2,500 for the computer stuff. Oh, and the headset will be (again, most likely) an HP Reverb G2.

Edited by Allentc2

it depends, at 45FPS you will be fine, if you want more you will need to "futz with stuff" ... 45 fps isnt really 45fps, its 90fps with every other frame "smart guessed" so it still mostly feels like 90fps

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

That computer will get you about as good as you can hope for with DCS and VR.  I have the same and just settle for 45 all the time and its great when it is at 45.

It is not a lot of mucking about to get it going, perhaps a few hours, maybe a bit more as you have never used VR or the tools before but if you read up ahead of time it should be pretty easy to see what you need to do.

The investment in time to get it set up is fraction of the time spent learning a module in DCS.  Once done, at least for me with the G2 its a matter of clicking on the DCS icon and thats it, the rest loads in the background.

8 hours ago, Bearskin said:

For me VR was a plug and play decision, maybe because I bought a Oculus Rift, I was playing DCS, ARMA 3, Elite dangerous with a Track IR. Thought about getting a bigger monitor then remembered about VR. Saw the price for the Rift was cheaper than the monitors I was looking at and bought one. Installed Oculus Home, fired up DCS world, set the VR button and started playing. I have had my Rift for maybe 2 years and in total, spent less than 2 hours pratting about with settings, mainly when a new patch comes out to see if I can set things higher. I am running a 9 year old computer with a newish GFX card, MSAA 4X, AA 16X, PD 1.6, Ultra View, 150000 pre load and I never drop below 45 FPS. So VR is easier than you might be thinking it is Allentc2. 

Edit, You also don't need the latest and greatest PC to run it either.

Your pc spec?

I think current open beta version is the smoothest version in VR so this time is the best time to get VR, or at least before the clouds/atmosphere update rolls out. that way you'll have a good idea of what to shoot for every time an update is release for better or worst.

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27