Wing Cannon's

Kayos

Someday probably yes, but historically speaking wing's cannons were used very rarely, because serious handicap.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• 2 weeks later...

+1 About time really!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCS & BMS

F14B | AV-8B | F15E | F18C | F16C | F5 | F86 | A10C | JF17 | Viggen |Mirage 2000 | F1 |  L-39 | C101 | Mig15 | Mig21 | Mig29 | SU27 | SU33 | F15C | AH64 | MI8 | Mi24 | Huey | KA50 | Gazelle | P47 | P51 | BF109 | FW190A/D | Spitfire | Mossie | CA | Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | Channel | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai 

Liquid Cooled ROG 690 13700K @ 5.9Ghz | RTX3090 FTW Ultra | 64GB DDR4 3600 MHz | 2x2TB SSD m2 Samsung 980/990 | Pimax Crystal/Reverb G2 | MFG Crosswinds | Virpil T50/CM3 | Winwing & Cougar MFD's | Buddyfox UFC | Winwing TOP & CP | Jetseat

On 12/30/2020 at 11:10 AM, grafspee said:

Someday probably yes, but historically speaking wing's cannons were used very rarely, because serious handicap.

They were unpopular, but I'm not sure they were rarely used. III./Jg 26 is known to have used them fairly frequently. For that matter, 109s weren't exactly preferred for Jabo missions after the introduction of Fw-190s, but we can still mount Sc 250s and Sc 500s on our K4s. Further, P-51s did not mount rockets in WWII, but we can still use those. 

After five years I have a hard time believing that wing cannons will ever be added, but they absolutely should be. Hell, I'd even love to see the Wgr 21 for our 109 (there are controls for it in the cockpit) but that really might be impossible since I'm pretty sure the K4 never used it. 

3 hours ago, percydanvers said:

P-51s did not mount rockets in WWII, but we can still use those. 

I think they did. I'm 100% sure that Royal Airforce Mustangs used rockets.

Anyway gun pods would require a lot of work in aerodynamic coding testing and fixing, so much work to just add 2 cannons. Probably at the end of "things to do" queue. Could be as well another 5 years. Spitfire does not have it's cooling system finished yet, just imagine how long this queue is.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

25 minutes ago, grafspee said:

I think they did. I'm 100% sure that Royal Airforce Mustangs used rockets.

Anyway gun pods would require a lot of work in aerodynamic coding testing and fixing, so much work to just add 2 cannons. Probably at the end of "things to do" queue. Could be as well another 5 years. Spitfire does not have it's cooling system finished yet, just imagine how long this queue is.

A lot of work? I wouldn't really say so.

The MG151/20 is already defined by ED, one part less to do.

Gunpods have also already been defined by ED, so adjusting a pre-existing gunpod to the values of the Rüstsatz is one thing to do.

Then there's the model. Might be some tedious work for finding proper ressources, but doing the model and the textures for itself are not that hard.

Aerodynamics for the pod? throw it in a CFD software, get the drag coefficient and put it in the definition of the pod and done.

Then adding a pylon to the plane is also easy, and coding one shouldn't take that long either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, razo+r said:

A lot of work? I wouldn't really say so.

The MG151/20 is already defined by ED, one part less to do.

Gunpods have also already been defined by ED, so adjusting a pre-existing gunpod to the values of the Rüstsatz is one thing to do.

Then there's the model. Might be some tedious work for finding proper ressources, but doing the model and the textures for itself are not that hard.

Aerodynamics for the pod? throw it in a CFD software, get the drag coefficient and put it in the definition of the pod and done.

Then adding a pylon to the plane is also easy, and coding one shouldn't take that long either.

Then, ED just don't want to give us gun pods then, probably.

Edited by grafspee

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

AFAIK the wing cannons were used a lot by the 109's, and whilst they were unpopular due to the detrimental effect on performance, they did help boost firepower by quite abit when attacking the bombers. However wether any K-4's mounted them in combat I'm not sure.

Edited by Hummingbird