[SOLVED] TM HOTAS X Throttle Resetting

cKunz

Hey all,

I'm experiencing a frustrating and intermittent throttle issue in the F/A-18C with my Hotas X. I've never had this issue in the past, and as I've just returned to DCS after about 6 months, I can't confirm if it was a specific update or not. 

OpenBeta - Latest version

F/A-18C Sim

Thrustmaster HOTAS X

Windows 10

Oculus Rift CV1

JoyToKey for button box

VoiceAttack

The issue:

When applying any amount of throttle input on my HOTAS, the in game throttle will move to the registered value, then slowly and "jerkingly" reset back to 0% throttle.

Reproduction:

Only happens on cold starts, which I know isn't game breaking but I wouldn't be flying with DCS if I wasn't looking for immersion. Cold start, regular procedures, throttle doesn't work properly. I've tried to detect a specific procedure (flaps, bit testing, FCS reset etc) that causes it, but it doesn't seem to matter. It's completely random, but if it doesn't occur by the time I'm ready to takeoff, the throttle works properly.

Things I've tried:

- Unmapped everything (I mean everything) from other planes, F/A-18C Game, and axis assignments from other sources

- Reset all controls to default

- Uninstalled/Reinstalled HOTAS drivers

- Changed axis tuning on the throttle mapping

- Tried different missions (I'm currently flying a custom mission, and I have checked and confirmed that Game Controls is unchecked in mission editor)

- Checked HOTAS X game input (works proper)

- Applied throttle input during startup procedure (this sometimes actually works, if I check the throttle input after each process)

Summary:

It's a very difficult issue to diagnose, as it seems almost completely random. It seems like there is another source of axis input that is causing it, but there is literally no other axis assigned in any other menu. I do use a button box for some startup controls (battery, set throttle's to idle, trims), which sounds like it could cause an issue; however, I've tried moving the controls off of my button box and using the default keyboard controls and the problem persists.

A weird note is that the throttle mapping in the menu at 0% starts on the right, then as I move to 50% throttle it moves to the left to the center then disappears. As I move the throttle to 100%, it then continues to move to the left until it maxes out. It seems "reversed" but no amount of axis tuning or reverse box ticking changes this. In axis tuning, it's getting data for both the X and Y axis for the throttle (I expected to only see one). If I remove one of the axis so it only reads from one or the other, I get no input response at all. TM control panel shows expected input, starting at the bottom with 0%, and a steady increase to 100% as I apply input.

I'm in the process of upgrading my rig, but this issue almost defeats the current purpose if I can never reliably conduct a cold start. I'm starting to think it's a HOTAS issue, but I've never had an issue with this joystick in the past, and it works properly in other titles. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Video of issue:

https://streamable.com/sf4f8s

Edited by cKunz
SOLVED

i have the same hotas and can confirm issues with the throttle, sometimes it doesnt even register the axis and you could play double Dutch on it and it  wont move the throttle a  inch.. on the other hand i can startup all my systems perfectly fine other times, the throttle will be recognized but when you move it the throttle will move in the bird but no thrust change will happen.. 

4 hours ago, GRMTMONSTER said:

i have the same hotas and can confirm issues with the throttle, sometimes it doesnt even register the axis and you could play double Dutch on it and it  wont move the throttle a  inch.. on the other hand i can startup all my systems perfectly fine other times, the throttle will be recognized but when you move it the throttle will move in the bird but no thrust change will happen.. 

Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one. It's weird because I've never seen this issue before, and I have a decent amount of seat time in DCS. I guess it's runway starts for me until I upgrade my HOTAS.

I can't explain why it only happens to you during cold start, but it clearly looks like two conflicting axis. Please check your throttle axis command in DCS controls menu and look for conflicts.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

4 hours ago, Flappie said:

I can't explain why it only happens to you during cold start, but it clearly looks like two conflicting axis. Please check your throttle axis command in DCS controls menu and look for conflicts.

Thanks for the response, I agree it looks like conflicting axis but everything is unmapped in the axis besides the HOTAS. The only other axis' that are mapped is for the mouse for a few camera controls. None that would affect throttle.

Ah! I found the culprit, it was my battery switch. I have it on a separate button box, and coincidentally it was mapped to Num- causing a smooth decrease of both throttles. Thanks @Flappie! I must've got caught up in thinking it was an "axis" control that was conflicting, but the continuously pressed key was the answer. 

• cKunz changed the title to [SOLVED] TM HOTAS X Throttle Resetting