Random failures in the A "or B"

Devil 505

So I decided to take a trip around the pattern tonight and do a night landing with the Alpha dog.  NOW.  I decided to do this in VR, after a glass or two of margaritas.  BAD ASS by the way.  I have to tip my hat to Heat Blur as this is the first time I have EVER actually encountered a random failure of any sort in DCS.  And let me tell you, it was a BLAST! I was on 3/4 of a mile and had already called the ball.  5 or 10 seconds before touch down I was drifting down "probably the alcohol, or for sure the alcohol.  Margaritas and trim do not go well together" and then it happened, total HUD failure.  The HUD flickered a couple times and then I lost it all.  Because I was so close to the deck and had the lights in sight I could eyeball it and still make the trap.  But let me tell you, the intensity and shock factor of "what the shit just happened" right before touch down threw off the metal state.  ESPECIALLY in VR.  If anyone has flown the F-14 at night and brought her in on deck using the ILS, the red lights and jittery HUD make for an intense/fun landing.  I thought this might have been a bug, but to my surprise and happily, after the flight it said in the comments "total HUD failure."  I would really like to see more random failures we have to address unexpectedly.  The realism was astonishing and really threw me for a loop seconds before touch down.  Great job HB!  Of all times I was not recording!   I cant wait to see what the A-6 has in store for us.  HINT HINT when will we know!!!!!!!!!!!!!  For the love of god we need Virgil AI next with Willem Dafoe giving the lines.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, robert.clark251 said:

So I decided to take a trip around the pattern tonight and do a night landing with the Alpha dog.  NOW.  I decided to do this in VR, after a glass or two of margaritas.  BAD ASS by the way.  I have to tip my hat to Heat Blur as this is the first time I have EVER actually encountered a random failure of any sort in DCS.  And let me tell you, it was a BLAST! I was on 3/4 of a mile and had already called the ball.  5 or 10 seconds before touch down I was drifting down "probably the alcohol, or for sure the alcohol.  Margaritas and trim do not go well together" and then it happened, total HUD failure.  The HUD flickered a couple times and then I lost it all.  Because I was so close to the deck and had the lights in sight I could eyeball it and still make the trap.  But let me tell you, the intensity and shock factor of "what the shit just happened" right before touch down threw off the metal state.  ESPECIALLY in VR.  If anyone has flown the F-14 at night and brought her in on deck using the ILS, the red lights and jittery HUD make for an intense/fun landing.  I thought this might have been a bug, but to my surprise and happily, after the flight it said in the comments "total HUD failure."  I would really like to see more random failures we have to address unexpectedly.  The realism was astonishing and really threw me for a loop seconds before touch down.  Great job HB!  Of all times I was not recording!   I cant wait to see what the A-6 has in store for us.  HINT HINT when will we know!!!!!!!!!!!!!  For the love of god we need Virgil AI next with Willem Dafoe giving the lines.

All that jinking around must have thrown off the acu

• Like 1

System: Ryzen 5900x, G.Skill 3600 32GB, MSI 4090 suprim liquid X, samsung odyssey+ headset 

• 4 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 3:52 PM, RaisedByWolves said:

I drink and play video games too! 

I always roll a nice fat blunt before I hop into my virtual aircraft.

• Like 1

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.