[RESOLVED] CCRP bombing with radar altimeter doesnt work at all.

dorianR666

hello,

manual says :

Distance and angle measure is based on the radar. Therefore, it needs to be operating throughout the procedure. Should the radar be unavailable, the computer bases its computation on radio-altimeter height. This backup method is less accurate, and assumes that the terrain area is flat. If it is not the case, correct computation will be impossible.

This doesnt work. You can deselect TAS and select RS on PCA, so the user interface is there. However once you try to designate the impact point for CCRP... nothing happens! No wings appear near the diamond, as if you didnt press the button. There is no release happening, no horizontal line. The system still waits for designation.

One thing I noticed is that the range in kilometers on right side of the HUD is complete nonsense when using radar altimeter for ranging. For example, distance which radar ranges as 5.0km is ranged as 0.7km by radar altimeter. On flat terrain, the two values should be equal.

Track attached.

Notice how the distance on HUD changes as I dive below horizon. It starts way too low, then increases, then decreases and ends up absurdly low. It even shows distance of 0.0km at one point during the dive.

mirage_ccrp_bug.trk

Edited by dorianR666
typo

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

• 1 month later...

TAS is for the Radar altimeter, RS is for use with the radar. The range is relative to the distance on the ground and does not take into account slant range. Again as stated this is not an accurate means of delivering the weapons.

Conferring with Devs and SME.

Edited by RAZBAM_ELMO

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [INVESTIGATING] CCRP bombing with radar altimeter doesnt work at all.
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 5:03 AM, myHelljumper said:

I think you are mistaken, TAS (Télémétrie Air-Sol) is for radar ranging and RS (Radio Sonde) is for radar altimeter.

Correct I intended to write it the other way around buit my fingers weren't listening to my brain.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• 4 months later...
  • myHelljumper changed the title to [RESOLVED] CCRP bombing with radar altimeter doesnt work at all.