[RESOLVED] Non-axis INS inversion

Dr Zaius

Hello,

When I attempt to move the INS curser via the TDC (input mapped via a modifier on my TMWH joystick Castle Hat / AKA DMS) the controls are reversed; yet if I use the axis input of the slew control on the throttle it works correctly.

I don't normally use anything else to control the TDC other than the slew control however not all of us have a HOTAS contoller, it should thereofre be corrected.

OB 2.5.6.59625

Track attached.

Control Reversal.trk

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

Review the update regarding the new sensor logic. You need to make sure you are in the correct mode for the TDC. For instance, if you want the TDC to be in HTS mode, the you need to have the TPOD powered up and press the SSS down twice within .8 seconds to make the TPOD the selected sensor. 

Marking as USER ERROR and moving to RESOLVED

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [USER ERROR] Non-axis INS inversion
3 hours ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

Review the update regarding the new sensor logic. You need to make sure you are in the correct mode for the TDC. For instance, if you want the TDC to be in HTS mode, the you need to have the TPOD powered up and press the SSS down twice within .8 seconds to make the TPOD the selected sensor. 

Thanks for the review suggestion however I think one us has misunderstood, the problem has nothing to do with the TPOD - for arguments sake lets say one isn't attached, when designating something in INS mode you can slew the designated cursor around the HUD without any problems via axis commands but if you have this slew command mapped to either a keyboard or joystick button press then the commands are inverted.

Edited by Dr Zaius
  • Like 2

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, lllcky said:

So will the issue with inverted INS designation resolved in future? 

Not while the issue is listed as ‘user error’ it won’t, perhaps Elmo will explain a little better once back from the holidays. Have you encountered the same thing IIIcky?

19 hours ago, lllcky said:

Yes, the same thing. Axis slew ok, buttons are inverted. This only related to INS designatior (INS mode), not TPOD or DMT (TV) modes.

Exactly this, thanks IIIcky

On 12/30/2020 at 2:06 PM, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

Elmo any chance you can look at this again please, I think you think we're having a different problem, IIIcky has simplified my attempt to previously highlight the issue - thanks in advance. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 3:06 PM, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

I think you misunderstood the problem.

If you are in INS mode *and* you use keyboard for TDC, the axes are inverted. TDC left makes designation move right, TDC forward makes designation move down.

Should I make a new bug report with track and video?

• Like 2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

@RAZBAM_ELMOdo you require further evidence to revisit this issue or has it become a moot point?

Edited by Dr Zaius

Hey @RAZBAM_ELMO, can we get a reply to this please, any reply will do - thanks

3 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Hey @RAZBAM_ELMO, can we get a reply to this please, any reply will do - thanks

Have you looked into the new HTS mode switch logic that was posted a while ago regarding the changes? If you are not in TPOD HTS mode and in INS then the controls with not move according to the TPOD but in fact on the EHSD or the HUD

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

13 minutes ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

Have you looked into the new HTS mode switch logic that was posted a while ago regarding the changes? If you are not in TPOD HTS mode and in INS then the controls with not move according to the TPOD but in fact on the EHSD or the HUD

As has been said repeatedly before, this isnt the issue.

Please read my post above. Its an issue unique to button binds.

Edited by dorianR666
  • Like 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

52 minutes ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

I did look at your suggested review and can confirm that it has nothing to do with the problem we're having, if you don't understand how I've explained then please read the posts from both @dorianR666

On 1/25/2021 at 4:46 PM, dorianR666 said:

If you are in INS mode *and* you use keyboard for TDC, the axes are inverted. TDC left makes designation move right, TDC forward makes designation move down.

Should I make a new bug report with track and video?

and @lllcky

On 1/14/2021 at 4:47 PM, lllcky said:

Yes, the same thing. Axis slew ok, buttons are inverted. This only related to INS designatior (INS mode), not TPOD or DMT (TV) modes.

In short it doesn't matter if you have a TPOD fitted or not and you could read the new HTS mode switch logic until the cows come home but if you try to use a keyboard press for INS slew (we don't all own a HOTAS) then that axis becomes inverted.

• RAZBAM_ELMO changed the title to [REPORTED] Non-axis INS inversion
3 hours ago, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

So the SSS functions work correctly however its the key binds for it that reverse?

Bingo!

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2021 at 12:38 AM, RAZBAM_ELMO said:

Updated internal report to reflect this.

So having not played DCS in some time I thought I'd do check to see if this old problem has been fixed and no, despite the internal report being updated (whatever that means) it still has the inputs reversed - can somebody explain why this hasn't been fixed please only it's been almost 6 months now since it was first reported, thanks

Edited by Dr Zaius
  • Like 1

@myHelljumperare you now stepping in for Elmo? If you are then a warm welome to you, that's some breach you're steeping into!

Been trying to get the above issue resolved for a few months now, initially it took several attempts to explain the problem but with the help from other users (see posts above) we finally got Elmo to understand things, it looked close to being fixed (what is the internal report exactly?) and then nothing 😞

Apprecaite it may be a bigger problem than how it looks but other than being told abouit the internal repoort being updated nothing has been communicated, I therefore wanted to hop back on the forums and push for a resolution, if that's possible please?

Thanks for the quick reply @myHelljumper, I can confirm that the bug is still present on the latest OB.

• 2 weeks later...

@myHelljumper& @RAZBAM_ELMO, any joy getting this issue fixed please guys?

If its unfixable then please just say, that way we won't waste any more of each others time - many thanks. 

• myHelljumper changed the title to [PENDING UPDATE] Non-axis INS inversion

Outstanding, well done all!

• myHelljumper changed the title to [RESOLVED] Non-axis INS inversion