I run VR fine*, and with a $1700 rig (cheaper today):

i7-9700K

MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC ATX

RTX 2070 Super

32GB Ram

Oculus CV1

AKB Gladiator stick

TM T16000 Hotas throttle 

Fine* - Every now and then down low, I’ll bump into some low frame rates for which I mitigate by:

- no prolonged vector into the ground

- set vector and engage attitude hold (if it gets choppy, I’ll live through it)

I have been in numerous low level merges/dog fights. I would say less than 10% are affected by low frames/performance. 

I would best describe my experience as - good enough to enjoy VR, far from what it could be.

DCS/ED - PLEASE GET YOUR SYSTEM OPTIMIZED FOR VR!!!!!!! Hell, do a Go Fund Me...people will help you move from 1990 to where you should be.

To be fair, while not perfect, combined with innovations on the steam VR side of things, I think DCS has come on massively since I started with VR about 4 years ago. For me now I have a relatively smooth experience, even in WW2 campaign missions, with none of the horrible frame drops which would send me to VR loading screens or horizon-al (new word!) stutters whenever I rolled/looped. It just feels smooth now. The new damage model is also incredible in VR.

I mean I'm no expert on these things but are you sure, other than a major overhaul (Vulkan etc)  of the engine itself, there is even much headroom for further optimization's? I never know when people call for these optimization's, if it is because they know optimization's are actually possible or if it's just a mixture of frustration and wishful thinking on their part, without their having any real knowledge or understanding of the practicalities involved?

Not that I know either way myself, but I'd be interested to know what form these optimization's would take if they are indeed possible.

Normandy for example is fantastic (channel defo needs work) now performance wise as it lacks speed trees etc., (I think?) but I'm not sure about the other maps!

Normandy might even be one of the best maps in terms of performance which is ironic for anyone who's been flying on it for as long as I have!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Just watched benchmark videos on YouTube as a channel upgraded to the RTX 3080, they went through and showed the FPS improvement in numerous games. DCS was no improvement mainly because it is heavy single core. Newer games with multi core architecture are less taxing and allowing better FPS in VR. This is my lay observation...I’m not educated on this subject. 

Upgrading from 2080Ti to 3080 was getting 20-40% increases...I think it was a 2% for DCS.

Edited by jwbflyer

2 hours ago, dburne said:

I think some are maybe more prone to VR reprojection artifacts than others. Some can tolerate them better and some can not, which is understandable.  It is very much dependent on the person.

I myself can tolerate them, which allows me to be able to run higher graphics settings. For whatever reason my performance with the Reverb G2 seems to have improved a little also.

I use WMR for Steam VR Beta and Steam VR Beta. I know Steam VR Beta has had a couple of updates recently. I have found the reprojection artifacts to actually be better than I used to get with my Rift S. 

So what I ended up doing was setting my Motion Smoothing in Steam VR for DCS to force on and always at 45 fps.

Then I cranked the graphics up.

image.png

I have the Reverb G2 running at 100% Resolution in Steam VR. 

What is your CPU and GPU?  I'm running a I7 7800K with a RTX 2080.  I may try Reverb G2 at 100%, but want to see what you are running. Thanks

42 minutes ago, Drac said:

What is your CPU and GPU?  I'm running a I7 7800K with a RTX 2080.  I may try Reverb G2 at 100%, but want to see what you are running. Thanks

i9 9900k @ 5.2 GHz and an EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

On 12/27/2020 at 10:42 AM, CommandT said:

100% VR is the future

At this stage, that assumption is far from certain. In flight sims, VR usage has remained at a flat 11-12% for the last 3 years, according to the Navigraph survey, which is a large sampling of this genre. You could question the % of players in civ vs combat sims but the fact that this % shows no change over three years means VR is stalled in its adoption for flight sims. In PC gaming overall, the Steam Hardware survey has VR in a steady sub-2% range for many years. For consoles, the PSVR has an attach rate of about 4% and the Xbox has no VR at all. 

• Thanks 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

16 hours ago, dburne said:

I think some are maybe more prone to VR reprojection artifacts than others. Some can tolerate them better and some can not, which is understandable.  It is very much dependent on the person.

I myself can tolerate them, which allows me to be able to run higher graphics settings. For whatever reason my performance with the Reverb G2 seems to have improved a little also.

I use WMR for Steam VR Beta and Steam VR Beta. I know Steam VR Beta has had a couple of updates recently. I have found the reprojection artifacts to actually be better than I used to get with my Rift S. 

So what I ended up doing was setting my Motion Smoothing in Steam VR for DCS to force on and always at 45 fps.

image.png

Have you changed your Windows Mixed Reality quality settings at all? Also, can I ask you to do a flyby of the Supercarrier while she has a few Hornets and Tomcats on the deck, at around 1500 feet? I'd be really surprised if you're getting 45fps in this instance. What aircraft do you normally fly, and in what situations? 

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

22 hours ago, dburne said:

image.png

Would be good to see a video of how it looks like in game. This would have been a total slideshow for me. Are you getting stuttering flying closer to terrain objects/ cities etc at low level? 

Edited by CommandT

Your mileage may vary. Still, after trying VR i was hooked from the get go. After numerous investments into the tech, including a recent purchase of a 3090RTX I do think that the performance of DCS World is still behind the curve. As far as the experience of VR itself, the immersion in DCS is second to none. I would probably rate it higher than all other apps or games I have tried in VR, performance warts and all. I was able to get it to run decently while still looking pretty good, but my hardware is pretty good. Performance improvements are coming, but even without them I don't think I would be able to go back to 2d. There are some drawbacks. Spotting is the big one, but you get used to it and frankly the advantages of flying in VR completely outweigh the drawbacks. I've recently gone back to flying helicopters and it is a completely different ball-game in VR. Landing is a breeze now, and just flying (with no combat) is an intense experience. 

Still, like I said in the beginning of my post, YMMV. It is a significant investment and it takes some getting used to, so if you're on the fence, don't rush in and expect miracles. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

7 hours ago, GunSlingerAUS said:

Have you changed your Windows Mixed Reality quality settings at all? Also, can I ask you to do a flyby of the Supercarrier while she has a few Hornets and Tomcats on the deck, at around 1500 feet? I'd be really surprised if you're getting 45fps in this instance. What aircraft do you normally fly, and in what situations? 

No, but what I use is the Hornet Cold Start Mission in the Persian Gulf off the Super Carrier. It has several planes on deck, of course all the animated crew, and a couple of other Hornets taking off as I begin my cold start procedures.

I am still in the learning process of the Hornet so what I do is cold start it in this mission, taxi to the catapult an launch.

And then my wingman that launches just before me joins up with me and follows me around as I cruise over both sea and land at low level - like 500 ft. And I have certainly buzzed the carrier a few times.

After a bit of sight seeing I return to the super carrier for my landing. Plan on starting on learning guns and bombs better here soon, right now I don't have enough knowledge to properly deploy them.

I am very pleased with my G2 image quality and performance so far with some pretty high graphics settings and forced 45 fps.

I am not here to try and change your mind or anyone's, just sharing how I use the headset and the sim along with the enjoyment out of it. I use my G2 headset multiple hours each day and love it. I did with previous headsets also. Different games, some flight some racing and other VR games.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! After my G2 packed up, I got a refund from H.P but there are no replacement available.

I spent some of this money in a RAM kit and will be looking for a second hand headset of the previous generation, the best picture (clarity/definition) possible, I only have experience with the OCULUS CV1 and G2, so it's going to be an improvement over the CV1 anyway, until perhaps the next gen of head sets.

I won't go for anything linked to Facebook, they deleted my account years ago during the first big pruge and anyway I'd rather spend the money on a crowbar to do Zuk's head than making him reacher by buying another Oculus.

Any advise on a good alternative here? I was thinking about the Samsung Odyssey + if it is better than the CV1...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

1 hour ago, tintifaxl said:

Why not get a used HP Reverb G1? I had a Samsung O+ and now a Reverb G1 and I wouldn't ever want to go back to the O+.

I'll look it up, thanks for the advise!

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

While I was looking for second hand headsets, I noticed that there is a number of HP Reverb G2 for sale, my impressions were rather positive while it worked, appart for the FoV which can be upgraded with some good modificatrion.

Also the G1 sells second hand on Ebay nearly as much as I paid for a brand new G2 without controllers which I don't need.

My conclusion is that I'd better wait for the next generation of VR headsets and go for a second hand Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus to keep me in the game, they sell it for £250.00, also, apparently, people came up with modification kits to improve on both FoV and optics, so I might investigate and try this.

From my PoV, HP have kind of shot themselves in the foot with the G2, if optics, definition and clarity are good, it will soon be totally out-classed by newer headest and already people are selling them back, I am not sure about the reason for it.

But in any case, if I Iike the improved image quality of the G2 compared to the CV1 but there was nearly no improvement in terms of FoV, which is something I think manufacturers are working on, especially because there is a strong demand from the driving simulation community...

Edited by Thinder

I owned a Odyssey Plus  nice head set But then I moved to a G1 I bought cheap, the clarity of the G1 compared to the Odyssey Plus is night and day would never go back I would rather cut my balls off.

The Odyssey Plus does have nice blacks but the G1 still ok for night flying for sure.

Edited by freehand

1 hour ago, freehand said:

I owned a Odyssey Plus  nice head set But then I moved to a G1 I bought cheap, the clarity of the G1 compared to the Odyssey Plus is night and day would never go back I would rather cut my balls off.

The Odyssey Plus does have nice blacks but the G1 still ok for night flying for sure.

I know but the problem I have is to find one without having to break the bank again and I need a headset to really enjoy playing DCS, without it it's a pain having to use the witch hat to look around, not only it's difficult to follow a target but on top of that, I'm loosing useful functions on my Hotas.

I keep looking for a  G1, that's how I figured how much people were selling them, basically the same price than the G2 and some even more than what my G2 did cost me (without controllers), if I do find a G1 at a reasonable price, I'll buy it.

Question: Did you try to modify your Odyssey Plus?

Edited by Thinder

4 hours ago, Thinder said:

I know but the problem I have is to find one without having to break the bank again and I need a headset to really enjoy playing DCS, without it it's a pain having to use the witch hat to look around, not only it's difficult to follow a target but on top of that, I'm loosing useful functions on my Hotas.

I keep looking for a  G1, that's how I figured how much people were selling them, basically the same price than the G2 and some even more than what my G2 did cost me (without controllers), if I do find a G1 at a reasonable price, I'll buy it.

Question: Did you try to modify your Odyssey Plus?

I added the "VR Cover" for the head set which is a must for comfort and keeping the light out also I added a head strap on the top for more comfort as the Odyssey is a little heavy on the front. 

• Like 1