3090 and G2 Experiences and Settings

speed-of-heat

I can certainly say it does work, not sure why it isn’t for you..

you can test this with FPSvr... as it reports both the gpu frame time and ss percentage

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Mark, I don't know if this will help or answer your question, but here are some examples.

Remember, the App Specific %age is a multiplier of whatever you have set in General.

Examples:

General 50% and DCS App specific 100% give approximately 2200 pixels per axis.  (Native res for the purposes of this simplified example, and the base figure for the multpier comparison.)

100% and 100% gives 3100, i.e. 2x the number of pixels in total compared to 'native res' above.

200% and 100% gives 4400, i.e. 4x pixels.

If you increase the DCS App Specific to 200%, then you get the following:

50%/200% 3100, 2x pixels

100%/200% 4400, 4x pixels

200%/200% 6400, 8x pixels.

The App Specific multiplier is only there to allow you vary the SS per game.  Personally, I have it set to 100% as I am happy having the same General 100% for all my VR games.

Using the DCS slider has the same effect as using the General one. So, for example, a General 100% with DCS 200% is the exact same thing as a 200% General and a 100% DCS.  So, you should be seeing the same effect whichever way you do it.  However, there comes a point at high SS levels, that you stop seeing a difference (and your PC grinds to a halt!)

I hope this makes some kind of sense and I hope it's correct.  Mornings are not good for me!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just about settled on my G2 settings with 3090. Thia thread (and BN's) have been really helpful in getting it set. For me I really can't go any higher than 80% steam SS but can manage 2x MSAA also and get 45fps (90 in flight). I just can't live without this as the jaggies are just terrible. I managed to use 2x on my rift s at 1.5ss with a 1080ti so to not have it is a step back. I have tried x4 and fps loss aside I think it actually starts to soften cockpit text etc so not worth the impact I think. 

I can just about get 45 on deck of the SC with a few units around the big issue for me is the terrain shadows thing (bug?). I now have them off, used run them flat on my old setup and actually didn't like default as they flicker too much. The problem is that for some reason I get the most fps on the deck of the supercarrier when they are default. This is most obvious on the cold start mission. Can't think why and a bit annoying that the fps should be better here with default than off. It's the opposite when you get to some actual terrain! Not tried any shadow mods yet. Might be the next thing just so I can get safely into 45fps in the worst case scenarios

Also tried running G2 at 50-55% I personally think this isn't greaf. Cockpit much harder to read than than my old rift s (1.5 SS)

• Like 1

Hey guys, found this thread while looking for a clue whether my system is running "smooth" enough or something is messed up as with a G2, there is so much interdependency between various settings (WMR, SteamVR, DCS, NV-settings) that it is quite easy to overlook something.

I have a RTX 3090 and a AMD Ryzen 9 5900 CPU, 32 GB Ram and a Aorus X570 Ultra Board, G2 installed into a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt PCI-E card. 

I use the recommended setting the Threadstarter suggests in his first post and I just clicked on "VR" in the DCS graphics settings. When I start the F15C mission "quick start" and "bomber interception", I have around 45-50 FPS if I put the Supersampling slider in Steam VR to "100%" (which it says is approx 3x3k). Is that ok? Where do I have to put the slider to have 90fps with motion reprojection? Cannot find that last info in the starting post. 

I usually find 80% is the sweet spot as it says in the original post..

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

19 minutes ago, warmachine79 said:

Hey guys, found this thread while looking for a clue whether my system is running "smooth" enough or something is messed up as with a G2, there is so much interdependency between various settings (WMR, SteamVR, DCS, NV-settings) that it is quite easy to overlook something.

I have a RTX 3090 and a AMD Ryzen 9 5900 CPU, 32 GB Ram and a Aorus X570 Ultra Board, G2 installed into a Titan Ridge Thunderbolt PCI-E card. 

I use the recommended setting the Threadstarter suggests in his first post and I just clicked on "VR" in the DCS graphics settings. When I start the F15C mission "quick start" and "bomber interception", I have around 45-50 FPS if I put the Supersampling slider in Steam VR to "100%" (which it says is approx 3x3k). Is that ok? Where do I have to put the slider to have 90fps with motion reprojection? Cannot find that last info in the starting post. 

I suggest you start at the beginning of the thread and check out other G2 performance threads. All this has been covered. 90fps will not need motion projection. If you see between 45 and 90 displayed as an fps number then it is not projecting. You will need projection on as even with a 3090 it won't hit 90fps most of the time. 

On my settings on my hardware, in caucuses in the f18 instant action mission free flight I get 90fps , you will need to have reprojection enabled, as alas you will not keep 90fps constantly...

Edited by speed-of-heat

Yeah 80% is what I get with my 3090. It's not great

30 minutes ago, warmachine79 said:

Thank you guys, read the starting post again and it indeed says 80% - sorry for overlooking that. It says 90 constantly in the menus but when ingame, the fps start to change. 

You'll need to constantly tweak to find what you are happy with. With the default VR game settings it will probably run quite high most of the time but depends on what you are happy with visually. It's an ongoing process...

1 hour ago, warmachine79 said:

So after I went through some forums, there are people that are happy with meeting the 45fps sweetspot for reprojection and some want the 90fps. Has anyone tried to use the Reverb G2 in 60hz mode with 60fps as reprojection target? 

Yes I have , whilst I was able to maintain the required 60 fps in my Reverb G2 I did not much like the lower refresh rate of 60 Hz, so I went back to 90 Hz with Motion Smoothing.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Speed of Heat,

For some reason I don't see your sig block on the first post.  Could you share your PC specs?

Thank you for sharing your settings and findings for getting the best play out of VR.

Edited by Strong05

5800X3d, 32GB DDR4@3400, 6800 xt, Reverb G2, Gunfighter/TMWH

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-9700K @ 5.1 GHz, 32Gb RAM, EVGA 3090 XC3, Dell S2716DG, Thrustmaster Warthog + MFG Crosswinds V2, HP Reverb G2 @ 2836 x 2768
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64, VoiceAttack & VIACOM PRO, TacView

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I don't have the Steam version of DCS - how do you add DCS-specific settings in SteamVR? It's not in the list along with the other games.

It will be in the list in Steam VR if you have DCS running at the time.

There is also a way to add non-Steam games to the list, might have to dig around in there a little to find it - I did but don't remember exactly where.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

14 minutes ago, dburne said:

It will be in the list in Steam VR if you have DCS running at the time.

There is also a way to add non-Steam games to the list, might have to dig around in there a little to find it - I did but don't remember exactly where.

I see - I wonder if settings applied to that "temporary" instance will stick to DCS permanently. Due to not seeing it in the list, I was wondering if SteamVR settings were affecting DCS at all. So I tested with 28% resolution on the global settings just to be sure, and it certainly was. Performance was great, lol, but it was like having a Samsung Odyssey all over again.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

4 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

I see - I wonder if settings applied to that "temporary" instance will stick to DCS permanently. Due to not seeing it in the list, I was wondering if SteamVR settings were affecting DCS at all. So I tested with 28% resolution on the global settings just to be sure, and it certainly was. Performance was great, lol, but it was like having a Samsung Odyssey all over again.

Lol yeah I was pretty sure changing it there with DCS running would stick.

Don B

@unlikely_spider,

start steam, in left bottom click on '+ add a game'. Select dcs.exe on your system. you will see dcs.exe in the library list.

next, right click on dcs.exe in the library list, select properties, in new screen make sure to select 'include in VR library' in bottom of screen.

done.

you can now start steamvr without dcs running and change the resolution for dcs in the 'per application video setting'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, hsth said:

@unlikely_spider,

start steam, in left bottom click on '+ add a game'. Select dcs.exe on your system. you will see dcs.exe in the library list.

next, right click on dcs.exe in the library list, select properties, in new screen make sure to select 'include in VR library' in bottom of screen.

done.

you can now start steamvr without dcs running and change the resolution for dcs in the 'per application video setting'.

Now that is a really useful tip. I didn't even notice the 'include in VR library' option before.  Thanks!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

5 hours ago, imacken said:

Now that is a really useful tip. I didn't even notice the 'include in VR library' option before.  Thanks!

Agreed. That worked for me. This is what I needed because it seems I need to run DCS at a slightly lower resolution than other apps (especially non-sims). Maybe not for the Caucasus map, but other maps and especially over urban areas. I notice stuttering over cities when looking down which improves as I lower the render resolution, mostly in the Channel map and Syria of course. I'm wondering if other options help with that specifically as I hate to lose fidelity.

Modules: Wright Flyer, Spruce Goose, Voyager 1

The option was always there, but most of us felt that it could only be accessed when running DCS. The 'include in VR library' allows us to change the setting without running DCS.

• Like 1

i will update my more complete settings guide with this  thanks

On 1/1/2021 at 8:43 AM, speed-of-heat said:

It’s not confusing.

look here and read, if your are still manually editing Vr settings, you are just wrong you should be using this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/enthusiast-guide/using-steamvr-with-windows-mixed-reality.

VR is the only thread I watch in DCS, windows or steam.... I watch it like a hawk.

I think you now have a a 3090 Speed-of-heat, what frame improvement do you see?

Also are you a jet guy, WWII guy or chopper guy?

I think you are jet guy, What improvement would you say you see on the new aircraft carrier with deck hands?

what do you see online?

And how do you think that runs with the CPU blockage DCS offers.

Would you say you see at least a 10 fps advantage before the CPU jams everything up?

please do not quote free flight values, I can get to where I need to be with the 2080ti and G2 in free flight.

I need to know if DCS can handle the 3090 upgrade and whether it is worth the cost, the G2 is visually an upgrade from my G1 and if I set the G2 to my G1 settings I am very happy with it online and in complex low level flight in amongst the buildings of dubai fighting ground forces.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

On 1/2/2021 at 10:05 AM, imacken said:

Mark, I don't know if this will help or answer your question, but here are some examples.

Remember, the App Specific %age is a multiplier of whatever you have set in General.

Examples:

General 50% and DCS App specific 100% give approximately 2200 pixels per axis.  (Native res for the purposes of this simplified example, and the base figure for the multpier comparison.)

100% and 100% gives 3100, i.e. 2x the number of pixels in total compared to 'native res' above.

200% and 100% gives 4400, i.e. 4x pixels.

If you increase the DCS App Specific to 200%, then you get the following:

50%/200% 3100, 2x pixels

100%/200% 4400, 4x pixels

200%/200% 6400, 8x pixels.

The App Specific multiplier is only there to allow you vary the SS per game.  Personally, I have it set to 100% as I am happy having the same General 100% for all my VR games.

Using the DCS slider has the same effect as using the General one. So, for example, a General 100% with DCS 200% is the exact same thing as a 200% General and a 100% DCS.  So, you should be seeing the same effect whichever way you do it.  However, there comes a point at high SS levels, that you stop seeing a difference (and your PC grinds to a halt!)

I hope this makes some kind of sense and I hope it's correct.  Mornings are not good for me!

I missed to say thanks for this useful post, cheers mate!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit.