Sling loading and troop transport

Rolds

I haven't figured out any way to do either sling loading or troop transport with the gazelle, aren't real world gazelles capable of both? It looks like it can carry 5 people so shouldn't it be able to carry at least 3 troops? And as for sling loading, maybe it isn't accurate for the version we have in DCS but you can easily find pictures of real gazelles slinging:

Shrieking Gazelles - Aviafora

19 hours ago, Rolds said:

I haven't figured out any way to do either sling loading or troop transport with the gazelle, aren't real world gazelles capable of both?

TL;DR:

The DCS Gazelle cannot sling load, the CLTD script can be modified to allow the Gazelle to transport troops and crates (like the Huey, Ka-50, etc). CLTD loads aren't be visible until unloaded.

Polychop have said they don't intend to model sling loads (IIRC they believe it to be unrealistic for the M1).

Detail

The max suspended load a SA-341G can carry is 700 kg (1540 lbs), provided this doesn't exceed the aircraft's normal weight/OGE hover limits.

The Viviane camera system adds 491 kg to the base gross weight

• Clean (no camera, weapons, or fuel) = 1189 kg

• Clean SA-342M1 (no weapons or fuel) = 1680 kg

• 100% Fuel = +416 kg

The Max takeoff weight is 2100 kg i.e. with 100% fuel, the M1 can carry no weapons, never mind attempt to sling load.

19 hours ago, Rolds said:

It looks like it can carry 5 people so shouldn't it be able to carry at least 3 troops?

The Gazelle's seating is similar to a small sports car, with 2 full seats at the front and a small bench seat at the back. While in theory it can carry 3, it's unlikely 3 troops and their kit will fit (there are pictures of SA park rangers carrying 2 adults and the mini-gun variant has it's gunner of course).

As with sling loading, carrying "passengers" - means giving up weapons, fuel or both.

DCS's AI troop combat is limited in features, damage model, etc. so PC focused on features that are appropriate to the M1.

Instead we got the L, Mistral and Mini-gun variants, which while modelled less accurately than the HOT3, are arguably more useful than the ability to sling load 200 kg or carry a couple of troops.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

I dunno, I'd like to move troops around, I wanna make missions where I put mortar teams or manpads in place, or move medics, that sort of thing. Sure I can work around it with the mission editor but just adding the same airborne troop transport system the Mi8 and Huey have would help bigly, even if it is only 3 slots.