Zone 5 - New F-14A campaign coming

Reflected

Preview of Event 9 of the 'Zone 5' campaign by RedKite.

If you've been reading my posts, you probably figured out that 'Zone 5' won't be your typical fun, easy, 'shoot from the hip' kind of campaign. These highly realistic training missions are meant to challenge you like nothing before, in order to make you a more lethal Tomcat crew.

I felt kinda guilty when I sent event 9 to RedKite for preview. I knew I was throwing him off the deep end, and that's an understatement. Bio and I came up with a syllabus that presents a very steep, but still gradual learning curve. One that only adds one level of difficulty over the previous mission. Well, RedKite skipped the first swimming lessons, and jumped head first into a pool full of sharks. Being the talented virtual pilot he is, he succeeded, and did an amazing job putting this video together for you to see what it's like to lead a division of 4 Tomcats against an unknown number of bandits, fighting his way through SAMs and wildcards.

Enjoy, and stay tuned!

Edited by Reflected
  • Like 3

The full section looks great.  Interesting weapons load out, too and I recall him mentioning the asymmetrical loads, too.  No tanks definitely raises an eyebrow. The whole experience looks not only super fun in itself but will likely affect my own mission building towards more realism later.  Can't wait.  

• Like 1

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Yes, Bio said they used no droptanks. You don't want them to slow you down during a fight, but you couldn't just make drop tanks rain down in the water off San Diego either. So they didn't carry them at all. You'll have enough fuel for the exercises, you can get back to Nellis with 3k lbs left, but if really needed, we added some tankers too. These are not realistic additions, we just added them for the game in case someone can't manage their fuel properly. In real life, though, they had a chance to land at China Lake to refuel, which is of course not available in game. So you get tankers instead 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the honor of being invited to an interview with the guys at the Air Combat Sim podcast, where Bio and I talk about the upcoming Zone 5 campaign, what you can expect and what it was like to build it. 

If you follow my page then you’ve already heard about some of it from me, now it’s time you hear it from Bio himself, he explains these things so much better than I can 🙂

https://youtu.be/lJ_t42WOIo0

Edited by Reflected
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, Reflected said:

I had the honor of being invited to an interview with the guys at the Air Combat Sim podcast, where Bio and I talk about the upcoming Zone 5 campaign, what you can expect and what it was like to build it. 

If you follow my page then you’ve already heard about some of it from me, now it’s time you hear it from Bio himself, he explains these things so much better than I can 🙂

https://youtu.be/lJ_t42WOIo0

I enjoyed the interview a lot.  It's always great to hear Bio talk Tomcats.

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

I eagerly await you taking my money

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 2

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

Looks great, i'l be getting one for sure! And hopefully it'll be the first DCS campaign i actually finish!

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I keep checking to see if and when it makes on Steam to buy it already. 

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

20 minutes ago, Gibo said:

Is it for Open Beta only or playable also in stable version?

Only beta until DCS release the stable update. But you can switch between versions if you wish.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

21 minutes ago, Gibo said:

Is it for Open Beta only or playable also in stable version?

The Store says it's Open beta only. Probably on the next Stable update the new Campaigns will then be usable on Stable too.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

+1 for the Steam release of this campaign. It looks absolutely incredible, possibly the most realistic training campaign I've seen yet.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Got it tonight on Steam.  Fun!

Specs & Wishlist:

28 minutes ago, SCPGrinder66 said:

Great campaign! really enjoying the realism of departure from Nellis, checking in, radio comms, etc... Learning alot....enjoying Bio's commentary

Can't seem to locate the 'quick practice missions' though, are they coming later?

Thanks

I think they have been added with todays OB update

• Like 1

To load the practice missions you need to run Mission Editor, load one from main DCS folder /mods/campaigns/F-14 Zone 5/ and then run it.

I suggest copying them to /saved games/dcs/missions or other more convenient place to load them from the Missions menu.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I was flying 04  2v unk where you are the wingman. On the way to India, I took a 1.5 mile spread as mentioned in the briefing docs but about 6-8 miles out, Sniper 4 broke out of the spread formation and flew over behind me.... went ahead and pressed spacebar and the bogeys were literally right under us upon fights on call.....of course we both got our asses kicked and couldn't use AIM-7s that close in. it was weird. Briefing said they were supposed to 40 miles to the western side of range....

It brought up a question that i had in 03 too.... So, after the check in at Bighorn are you guys flying all the way to India (and turning around) before pressing the spacebar to start the fight? or are you doing it somewhere between IP and ST?   Thanks

vor 35 Minuten schrieb SCPGrinder66:

I was flying 04  2v unk where you are the wingman. On the way to India, I took a 1.5 mile spread as mentioned in the briefing docs but about 6-8 miles out, Sniper 4 broke out of the spread formation and flew over behind me.... went ahead and pressed spacebar and the bogeys were literally right under us upon fights on call.....of course we both got our asses kicked and couldn't use AIM-7s that close in. it was weird. Briefing said they were supposed to 40 miles to the western side of range....

It brought up a question that i had in 03 too.... So, after the check in at Bighorn are you guys flying all the way to India (and turning around) before pressing the spacebar to start the fight? or are you doing it somewhere between IP and ST?   Thanks

I always "pressed the spacebar" as soon as the option became available (and I was ready to commit), which gave me enough time to prepare for the engagement; the red AI always spawned well outside visual range in every mission (except mission one which is set up differently)

• Like 1