Glide Bomb Help

OnNom

I have been having an issue on PG when I start cold. I autostart, append some glide bombs, wait for them to warm up, and drop them on a point. They reliably get in the vicinity of the target but miss by a notable margin. Linked below is a demonstration video (sorry for the framerate, the capture software is being a pain today).

This is only an issue when I start cold. It is not an issue if I start in the air with the bombs already loaded. When I start already in the air, the bombs land on-point every time.

What am I missing? This used to work fine for me. Is there an issue with the autostart on PG that I need to be aware of? Maybe the INS is wrong?

Thank you!

Demonstration Video:

Edited by OnNom

You need to perform Full GC alignment and enable HNS for GPS/INS to get them to hit reliably.

Autostart performs a Partial FAST aligment, which will deteriorate the accuracy of the bombs significantly, even with HNS enabled.

Edited by J20Stronk
  • Like 1

Manual "full" fast alignment, or better, full GC alignment (takes 4 minutes).

Remember to enter your ramp coordinates from the kneeboard, and remember to get the ground crew to update your ramp coordinates (if you land) before you re-align!!!

The single biggest cause of inaccurate position is incorrect initialization position. The position it starts with in the UFC when you start the aircraft is INACCURATE (it simulates drift from the last flight).

Don't forget to enter the correct true heading as well during alignment. It will accept anything when it enters NAV mode, and this will introduce large errors if it is incorrect.

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."

12 hours ago, Tiger-II said:

and remember to get the ground crew to update your ramp coordinates (if you land) before you re-align!!!

Do you know the procedure for this? I saw this yesterday and thought - must be a neat way to update the coordinates and then redo the alignment to improve accuracy but I was unable to figure out how in the middle of a few sorties on Blue Flag last night.

TJ

* Shutdown

* Open canopy

* Remove data cartridge

* Re-arm/refuel

* Request position update

* Request DTC update

* Ramp start

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."