A great first full fidelity aircraft but...

Shibbyland

I often see this aircraft touted as the best aircraft to buy if you're just getting started in full fidelity DCS modules. Having finally tried it out under the free to fly period, I have to agree. It's so simple but still does enough to try out various mission types.

But what if you're reasonably experienced in full fidelity aircraft, what is the big draw of the F-5e over all the other modules?

I like it a lot and I'm tossing up between the P-47 and F-5e. Unfortunately I made the mistake of adding up how much I've spent on DCS over the years and it's actually a bit shameful haha. I've bought a number of aircraft I wish I hadn't because no matter how cool they are, there just isn't any content for them other than a few instant actions and basic missions (the MiG 15 in particular).

I always find myself back in the f/a-18 or A-10 and thats purely because of the single player content available.

I've heard a bit about the liberation dynamic campaign but am a bit wary of Github as you never quite know for sure what the risk is of downloading and executing.

I agree with everything said here. I myself have pondered the F5 or P47. One thing I can say about the older modules, you do get spoiled by the look as well. I bought the UH1 recently and I liked the change it’s just not a high fidelity module and looks dated on the interior. If you haven’t tried the Viggen, I would recommend. Happy Holidays!

Iron Sights

3 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

.... Unfortunately I made the mistake of adding up how much I've spent on DCS over the years and it's actually a bit shameful haha....

.... I've heard a bit about the liberation dynamic campaign but am a bit wary of Github as you never quite know for sure what the risk is of downloading and executing.

i too have spent a shameful amount of money with DCS but because it is invigorating to fly all these planes.

Liberation is totally legit and nothing about it is evil. just do not download Solarwinds lol. Liberation is good fun.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 hour ago, Fusedspine33 said:

The mission editor is worth having a look at. It seems daunting at first but you can make all the missions you could ever want. Plus gain the entertainment of learning how use it, because it isn't intuitive...more like learning hieroglyphics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha yea I have had several goes at making missions. I made one for the MiG 15 which was pretty basic but had a few triggers in it and a bit of a back story. Took me hours. I am reliant on others for quality missions.

2 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

Haha yea I have had several goes at making missions. I made one for the MiG 15 which was pretty basic but had a few triggers in it and a bit of a back story. Took me hours. I am reliant on others for quality missions.

You can also easily convert campaigns for other modules.  I took A10C campaign, substitute one of the AI CAP or SEAD F16 in the mission with my own, then turned the default A10C into AI controlled.  Same campaign from different plane.

ME itself is somewhat fun to play with once you get into it.  You have to make your own content in this game.

Edited by Taz1004

20 hours ago, Shibbyland said:

But what if you're reasonably experienced in full fidelity aircraft, what is the big draw of the F-5e over all the other modules?

Have you ever busted a tank with a Mk 82, using a fixed depression sight, a bombing table, and a precisely flown attack pattern? Is that something you thought you might want to try doing?

How comfortable are you relying on visual reference, map reading, compass+clock, and TACAN? Are you reliant on the realistic version of the "quest marker" projected on the HUD or MFD? Can you shoot a TACAN instrument approach down to 300ft AGL below a cloud deck to the airport for a safe landing?

Do you know how to trim an aircraft? Do you know how to accurately fly a high performance agile fighter jet with the absolute minimum stability augmentation? Are you reliant on Fly-By-Wire?

As somebody who has a lot of modules and still flies the F-5, I see it as having two major roles in my sessions: Light Fighter or basic Combat Trainer (Western).

As a light fighter you can represent the capabilities of a lesser equipped military and realize the limitations and techniques they could use to accomplish a mission. To depart the air-base, navigate and identify the target without TGP or INS, to attack it using profiles and a fixed sight with unguided bombs/rockets/gun, or to use those skills and a JTAC for terminal guidance with a GBU-12. Use AWACS/GCI to engage appropriate resistance, or use them to evade superior threats. To use the same skills to navigate back to base and land, refuel/rearm and do it all again. To better realize the tools you have with other aircraft, when they are actually needed, vs when they're actually just a layer of redundancy.

Or practice the exact same skills in a fine training environment like Nevada. Replicating the type of flying perhaps conducted by the T-38 (current USAF training aircraft, and a twin-seat F-5 variant). Or fly the realistic departure and arrival procedures to real USAF bases. In real airspace. Or perhaps BFM/ACM in a jet that barely holds your hand. And barely holds your hand while you take off and land.

Do you have problems with AAR in your modern FBW jets? Flying an F-5 in formation, or practicing precise flying could expand your experience and help you build skills you can transfer.

I think the F-5 makes an excellent training aircraft. And for those that have started with their "dream" modules first, the F-5 can still serve that excellent training role that they prhaps didn't realize they wanted.

Edited by randomTOTEN
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, randomTOTEN said:

Have you ever busted a tank with a Mk 82, using a fixed depression sight, a bombing table, and a precisely flown attack pattern? Is that something you thought you might want to try doing?

How comfortable are you relying on visual reference, map reading, compass+clock, and TACAN? Are you reliant on the realistic version of the "quest marker" projected on the HUD or MFD? Can you shoot a TACAN instrument approach down to 300ft AGL below a cloud deck to the airport for a safe landing?

Do you know how to trim an aircraft? Do you know how to accurately fly a high performance agile fighter jet with the absolute minimum stability augmentation? Are you reliant on Fly-By-Wire?

As somebody who has a lot of modules and still flies the F-5, I see it as having two major roles in my sessions: Light Fighter or basic Combat Trainer (Western).

As a light fighter you can represent the capabilities of a lesser equipped military and realize the limitations and techniques they could use to accomplish a mission. To depart the air-base, navigate and identify the target without TGP or INS, to attack it using profiles and a fixed sight with unguided bombs/rockets/gun, or to use those skills and a JTAC for terminal guidance with a GBU-12. Use AWACS/GCI to engage appropriate resistance, or use them to evade superior threats. To use the same skills to navigate back to base and land, refuel/rearm and do it all again. To better realize the tools you have with other aircraft, when they are actually needed, vs when they're actually just a layer of redundancy.

Or practice the exact same skills in a fine training environment like Nevada. Replicating the type of flying perhaps conducted by the T-38 (current USAF training aircraft, and a twin-seat F-5 variant). Or fly the realistic departure and arrival procedures to real USAF bases. In real airspace. Or perhaps BFM/ACM in a jet that barely holds your hand. And barely holds your hand while you take off and land.

Do you have problems with AAR in your modern FBW jets? Flying an F-5 in formation, or practicing precise flying could expand your experience and help you build skills you can transfer.

I think the F-5 makes an excellent training aircraft. And for those that have started with their "dream" modules first, the F-5 can still serve that excellent training role that they prhaps didn't realize they wanted.

All good points but basic handling, map reading and ground based navigation aids are something I've had a reasonable amount of experience in. I absolutely agree with you regarding the satisfaction of starting a mission cold on the ground and working your way through various environmental and navigation challenges to achieve an objective. Therein lies the issue with modules like the MiG-15 and F-5e, they don't come with a lot of content when purchased and because they're somewhat fringe aircraft, there's limited user downloads available.

I'm just not good enough with the mission editor yet. As others have said, that's probably holding me back with this game. I just find it takes me hours and hours to make really bland missions. I

I do enjoy dogfighting in the F-5e though and it's a neat wee aircraft to zoom through valleys in.

I see people mentioning the amount of money spent on DCS but imagine having to pay monthly only to play in premium like is the case for War Gaming...

Leaving W.G allowed me to spend this money on a new system, then I spent some limited amount of money into modules, I don't have the most expensive but I'm happy with what I got now, gone from 2D to VR with a G2 is something I couldn't have done if DCS had been as expensive to play in the long term as W.G is if you want to be competitive...

5 hours ago, randomTOTEN said:

It's a classic, an aircraft I always look at when I feel like I have the budget to buy a new module. Didn't happen yet but it will, like I will get an F-8 and Mirage F1.

Edited by Thinder

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

Absolutely one of my favorite aircraft! It's damn fast, and flies so well! I also have the more complex planes like the Hornet, but the F-5E is for me more fun, it's really about flying dangerously! Nothing better than some low-level CAS evading AAA's for an adrenaline-filled afternoon! And it's a decent dogfighter too!  Not an F-16 but still bonkers! 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]