Huey's Gunners Options Explanations Needed

Fakum

I am trying get an understanding of the Hueys Gunner options and can not find the explanations in the DCS guide or Chucks guide when I search for them.

In the DCS Huey Options, you can select:

Huey Sim

Huey TrackIR Gunner

Huey Gunner

Not sure what the differences are between the last two, nor can I find an explanation for the options within those options:

Camera Transpose Mode?

Enable Visual Recon Mode?

For starters, all I was trying to do is invert the mouse Y axis while I was attached to the door gunner, tinkering around in several locations, I could not achieve that, and that led to me trying to figure out what all this other stuff was?

Thanks for any help.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

Hey there, 

“Huey Sim” - the keyboard shortcuts/commands for the simulation version of the sim, versus “Huey Game” with crashes turned off, control assistance, unlimited ammo etc. 

“Huey TrackIR” - settings that allow you to move the machine gun by moving your head, if you have TrackIR equipped and on.

”Huey Gunner” - as above, but with a mouse, TrackIR plays no role. 

Take this with a grain of salt - consider clearing all bound commands (except the keyboard’s default bindings) for your joystick(s) and starting fresh to avoid any binding conflicts you don’t notice.

ETA - I would avoid binding multiple setups. As an example, even if you have TrackIR but don’t care for it while sitting in the gunners seat, don’t set up those features in “Huey TrackIR”.  I’ve found I create more inadvertent binding conflicts trying to out smart the settings. I’m sure someone will disagree and point out how not hard binding both ways is (and they are right), but I prefer the painless, more flying, less anger way of doing things. 😃

Hope this helps!

Edited by Palmetto 1-1
  • Thanks 2

Well, I cant find the mouse Y setting that is controlling the gun up/down binding so I can invert it? The mouse is not assigned to it from what I can see, yet it moves it?

image.png

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

If you want to invert the gun's elevation control, try inverting the mouse look bind. The gun's POA is normally slaved to your LOS, expect when TrackIR gun in turned off, so I imagine the mouselook bind is controlling the gun that way. If you invert mouselook it'll probably do what you want, without effecting your camera control since that's TIR.

Thanks for the response, but I dont see any keybinds to change that say "Mouse Look"? I searched for "Mouse and didnt come up with anything relevant? Perhaps it is called something else?

In addition, I haven't seen any responses regarding what :

Camera Transpose Mode?

Enable Visual Recon Mode?

Thanks,

• 4 months later...

Yes, I would also like to know where this "mouse look" function is.

In nearly every FPS or console game I've played, I've always done it with Y inverted, so the mouse (or in my case, trackball) moves the head: roll the ball/mouse forward, view goes down. Also like every flight joystick: push joystick forward, plane goes down. 

I find it absolutely impossible to get either the operator's guns or the door guns on target with the y axis as is. I've tried inverting the axis on "camera vertical", but that only seems to work on exterior views.

Please help, I would really like to try using the mouse for guns; the right way.

i9 11900K :: 32GB G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 :: Corsair water loop ::  Samsung 2TB 980pro nvme :: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Waterblock :: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Xtreme MoBo :: HP Reverb G2 VR

VKB Gunfighter flightstick and collective :: TM Warthog throttle & MFDs :: MFG Crosswind pedals :: 5 Dayton Audio bass shakers on 5.1 home theater amp

Win10 Pro x64 :: DCS 2.7 (Huey & P-51, mainly; have all the other rotors, but haven't explored their depths as yet)