Inboard/Outboard pylon loading

Smashy

Not really a question about the sim but about the Sabre in general.  I've been reading the manual and Chuck's guide and noticed that the outboard pylons were capable of carrying 200 gallon tanks and the inboard pylons were capable of 120 gallon tanks.  At first glance, it seems that it would make more sense to carry heavier load closer to the centerline of the airplane.  Am I wrong about this?  If not, what's the reason for this design?

Good question. In answering your general query about where to carry a heavier load it involves wing bending (or load) relief. The fatigue life of the construction is increased by loading the wings rather than the fuselage of the aircraft. This can cause other negative issues, such as with drag or handling, which would be design dependant - compromise always needs to be built in...

cheers

(google wing bending relief for info)

• Like 1

Could it be a clearance issue? The gears are mounted in the wings, so it is possible that the bigger tanks will get too close to the gear legs when they are extended. I can't verify this as I never fly with tanks, so check yourself ingame possibly?

EDIT: I found a picture immediately after I posted.f-86_title.jpg

Look at the width of the tanks and how close the smaller tanks are to the gears. Those big tanks would not fit next to the gears.

Edited by Marsvinet
Research done after posting
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Marsvinet said:

Could it be a clearance issue? The gears are mounted in the wings, so it is possible that the bigger tanks will get too close to the gear legs when they are extended. I can't verify this as I never fly with tanks, so check yourself ingame possibly?

EDIT: I found a picture immediately after I posted.f-86_title.jpg

Look at the width of the tanks and how close the smaller tanks are to the gears. Those big tanks would not fit next to the gears.

Good find!  Thanks for digging up this photo.  This certainly would've been a good question for the F-86 episode at the Fighter Pilot Podcast.

• Like 1

I would find it unlikely that after designing, testing and delivering the aircraft it was realised that there wasn’t clearance for tanks on the inboard pylons. More than likely that the clever design team anticipated that and the layout gave structural benefits.

But ya never know - the 50s was a fast moving time.

cheers

Edited by bazza772
  • Like 1