Hornet stick on new Foxx Mount - counter-clockwise offset angle?

g2k

Hello

My Foxx mounts are almost here.  I have the Warthog/Hornet stick.  I plan to mount it between my legs.  I read on here that someone advised turning the stick slightly counter clockwise to simulate the true position in the hornet. Makes sense to me as my right arm will be on an angle reaching between my legs to the stick.

Trouble is the mounting bolts will only allow 90 degree positions which obviously is waaaay to much.  There are 8 small screws on top of the circular base.  is that what he was talking about? 

Sorry, I can't find the original post for the life of me.

(I just jotted this hardware info down so younger smarter people can help me troubleshoot possible flaws)

i7 9700K 3.7Ghz | ROG Strix RTX2080S GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB | WD 1TB-SSD | Corsair RGB 280mm Liquid CPU cooler | Asus TUF Z390-Plus w/DDR4 2666

TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswinds | HP Reverb G2

I think the offset applies to the stick only, not the whole base. 

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

43 minutes ago, evilnate said:

Thankfully my obutto had holes for -15 degree offset. I recommend drilling new holes to save your wrist.

Interesting.  Perhaps when my Foxx arrives it will have a friendly template like that.  That would be a relief.

9 minutes ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

I think the offset applies to the stick only, not the whole base. 

The stick only enters the base in one position.  Perhaps the Foxx plate will have many options to achieve the desired offset.  Cheers.

(I just jotted this hardware info down so younger smarter people can help me troubleshoot possible flaws)

i7 9700K 3.7Ghz | ROG Strix RTX2080S GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB | WD 1TB-SSD | Corsair RGB 280mm Liquid CPU cooler | Asus TUF Z390-Plus w/DDR4 2666

18 minutes ago, g2k said:

The stick only enters the base in one position.  Perhaps the Foxx plate will have many options to achieve the desired offset.  Cheers.

I think he meant the fact, that the base must not be mounted offset. It's the grip that needs a offset position relative to the base, not the complete stick relative to you. That would be the correct mounting.

edit: In order to achive that with the Warthog base/TM Hornet grip combo, you'd need an extension on wich you can screw down the grip offset to the base.

Cheers

Edited by VpR81

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Yeah, I wouldn't offset the whole base, that's going to screw everything up control wise. ''nose up'' should be ''toward your chest'' not ''15' to the right'' which is what you'll have if you do that 😃 You'll beed to figure out a better work around than that 😃

That's one thing I appreciate about VKB, they foresaw that desire and allowed for a fully customisable offset via set screw. I crank it all the way over, personally, but you could do whatever amount you wanted, really.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

6 minutes ago, zhukov032186 said:

Yeah, I wouldn't offset the whole base, that's going to screw everything up control wise. ''nose up'' should be ''toward your chest'' not ''15' to the right'' which is what you'll have if you do that 😃 You'll beed to figure out a better work around than that 😃

That's one thing I appreciate about VKB, they foresaw that desire and allowed for a fully customisable offset via set screw. I crank it all the way over, personally, but you could do whatever amount you wanted, really.

Oooo. That’s a great point. Turning the base would be a huge screw up. I have an offset extension for my hornet stick that I have yet to unbox. Can’t recall if it’s 9” or 12”. Perhaps my solution will be in this extension. Thanks!

2 hours ago, VpR81 said:

I think he meant the fact, that the base must not be mounted offset. It's the grip that needs a offset position relative to the base, not the complete stick relative to you. That would be the correct mounting.

edit: In order to achive that with the Warthog base/TM Hornet grip combo, you'd need an extension on wich you can screw down the grip offset to the base.

Cheers

Great advice. Not sure what I was thinking, turning the base. That would be disastrous. I have an extension I have yet to unbox. Hoping my solution is there.  Thanks!

Ok I unboxed the extension. I was wrong on two counts. It’s not offset bend and it’s only 6”

Anyway, It’s a 6” Sahaj with the red spring with a couple silicon o-rings. Pipe is threaded on each end so I’m at the mercy of the pipe threads to achieve the turn angle I want. If I get the angle I prefer and the threads are still loose, that will suck. I don’t really want to use loctite. Perhaps if I pile on some Teflon thread tape it will firm it up at my desired angle. Or perhaps I will get lucky and the threads will be tight at my desired angle. 

I will mess with it when my Foxx mounts arrive. Doing the extension now will suck when I’m flying because the stick is currently sitting on the desk. It will be awkwardly too high. Lol. 

Thanks everyone!

EDIT:  The video on Sabaj shows I can turn the stick to my desired position, then tighten. I feel dumb for wasting everyone’s time. Sorry.  😞 

Edited by g2k

Nevermind, good to hear it worked out for you. 6" is what? 15cm i guess? Sorry, used to the metric system 😉  6" should be perfect with the standard Warthog spring, just mount your stick as low as you can on your Foxx Mounts. If it's still too high, you can go down to a 10cm ( 4" i guess?) extension wich should be good with the standard spring as well. I know a Sahaj extension+shipping overseas isn't cheap and it's kinda unfortunate having to get another one because the first is more or less useless, but nothing worse than sitting uncomfortable when doing what you like. just my 2 cents.

Cheers 

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

I don't know the Foxx mounts and if you're sorted fine

I just wanted to say that Debolestes offers a series of offset and canted neck pieces for the Hog which will also fit straight onto the TM Hornet stick as well as both grips use the same components

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/debolestis

I use the 13degree forward 15 degrees left piece on both grips and found it a huge improvement over having the stick bolt upright. Of course what works for me may not suit you but I thought I'd point it out

https://www.shapeways.com/product/MMJ88HH2S/thrustmaster-tailpiece-13-deg-ang-15-deg-off-m?optionId=59460400&li=shops

15 hours ago, VpR81 said:

Nevermind, good to hear it worked out for you. 6" is what? 15cm i guess? Sorry, used to the metric system 😉  6" should be perfect with the standard Warthog spring, just mount your stick as low as you can on your Foxx Mounts. If it's still too high, you can go down to a 10cm ( 4" i guess?) extension wich should be good with the standard spring as well. I know a Sahaj extension+shipping overseas isn't cheap and it's kinda unfortunate having to get another one because the first is more or less useless, but nothing worse than sitting uncomfortable when doing what you like. just my 2 cents.

Cheers 

Thanks. Yeah 15 cm. I should know better as we use metric here in Canada. The Foxx mount I got for the stick is the really long/deep one, so I should have great adjustment capabilities. Thankfully I shouldn’t need to order the shorter extension. 

Thanks for the spring advice. Perhaps I will just keep using the stock one and if it gets sloppy, I will then change out to the red spring. 

Had a Warthog base with TM Hornet grip and a 35 cm extension prior to my present center stick. This one needed the blue spring to recenter perfectly. When i switched to the Realsimulator Hornet grip, wich weights less than half as much as the TMs, i was able to switch back to the standard spring wich was just perfect then. I'm sure the standard spring will be good for the TM Hornet grip on a 15cm extension and there is no need to order the red spring. But just try and decide how you like it, the Sahaj springs are rather expensive IMO. What i ordered was the silicone ring from Sahaj, wich is much better than the standard rubber ring TM uses. But i guess you'd need to smooth your WH gimbal with sand paper to feel a significant difference, wich i wouldn't do as long as the WH is under warranty. The Warthog is a good Stick, but has it's flaws.

Cheers

Edited by VpR81