BS3 still happening?

ResonantCard1

I do hope that we'll at least get options to load only 4 or 8 Vikhr missiles (as they already have art done for that, and it isn't exactly treading on a classified system to simply allow removing a few tubes from the existing hard-point).

Beyond that - I really would be content if not getting our dreams fulfilled is the price paid to avoid risking prison time for the devs 🙂 Best to keep them secure and happy.

P.S. This also means that a later Mi-8 or Mi-28 is impossible. But I suppose the Mil Mi-2 is declassified? That'd be the next logical Soviet helicopter project. It has some interesting armed variants and would be fun to compare with the lighter OH-58 and Gazelle!

Bugger the wallpaper to cover the cracks. How about spending some of that newly released developer effort on fixing the issues which have been raised so many times on this, the original and best, module?

I'm a bit pissed off, to be honest. Not ED's fault that the law stops them from doing this work, but I want BS fixed properly. Please.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wildcards BlackJack_sml.jpg

Meh, I would hardly think onboard Igla systems from the 70's would be "classified material".

Even the missile warning system seems old.  Hell, the old A-10C has that.

Glad we're finally getting the AH-64D,  a MODERN Attack Helicopter though!

Edited by 3WA

1 hour ago, 3WA said:

Meh, I would hardly think onboard Igla systems from the 70's would be "classified material".

Even the missile warning system seems old.  Hell, the old A-10C has that.

Glad we're finally getting the AH-64D,  a MODERN Attack Helicopter though!

Flight manuals in the US aren't classified, yet if you cross state borders with it or give it to a foreign national it's a felony.

''Classification'' is irrelevant and legality is subject to change. Governments do not care about our hobby.

• Thanks 1

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I hate to say that my suspicions were proven right, I knew there was something weird going on since the delays. With the A-10C 2 we went from knowing absolutely nothing to release in a matter of weeks, we knew even the features of BS3 since...hell I can't even remember. More reasons to take whatever ED says with salt at spades I guess. The BS3 isn't just cancelled but the Apache is also happening this year (And with the preorders on February, killing the Mi-24's sales). The latter was a surprise, but at least the BS3 was sacrificed because the Russian government doesn't want it to be done instead of being sacrificed for the objectively better choice.  

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

@3WA I think even on the Ka-52, only the middle pylons (ie. middle ones there, outer ones on Ka-52K and Ka-50) can carry Vikhrs. So if you meant third pylon as in something that carry ATGMs, might not be a thing even on the newer models. Also you'd have less SHP on the engines to carry that 2.8 tonnes the Ka-52 can equip. Unless you mean 3rd pylon as in the wingtip under mounts for IGLAs.

A FLIR capable Night Attack one would be pretty cool though in terms of added functionality.

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw

6 hours ago, Volk. said:

@3WA I think even on the Ka-52, only the middle pylons (ie. middle ones there, outer ones on Ka-52K and Ka-50) can carry Vikhrs.

There are photos that seem to show a Ka-52 with 24 Vikhr - I have my doubts though (excellent photoshop maybe??). It is definitely confirmed that some Ka-52 can carry missiles on the inner pylons as well... although that is most often used for the new heavier anti-tank missiles... so the total maximum missile load ends up being 16 missiles in that case. Particularly the Hermes-A. It is interesting that the Ka-52 has also been spotted with 9M123VM Khrizantema, 9K121 Vikhr and 9M120 Ataka... so that is at least four different anti-tank missiles systems.

Edited by Avimimus

@Volk. Yeah, I mean 3rd rail near the wing tip for Igla's, like ED was planning on.

Trying to lock up another heli or aircraft with the vhikers just gets too difficult at times while trying to maneuver, and sometimes you absolutely cannot get a contrast lock on it.

That, and most jets are too fast to lock with the vhikers, which means your dead without any chance if a jet gets the jump on you.

23 ore fa, ResonantCard1 ha scritto:

Apache is also happening this year (And with the preorders on February, killing the Mi-24's sales).

I don't think so: if you like russian style cockpit - due to the reasons they canceled bs3 (and what about mig-29 then?) the mi-24 will be one of the few chances to fly a russian attack helicopter, the existence of the Apache do not change this fact.

• Like 2

I bought the BS2 expecting the added systems of the BS3. If I would have known the BS3 wasn't going to happen, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. I got it on sale so it doesn't rally matter. I spent more on lunch yesterday than I did buying the BS2.
I'll be getting the Mi-24 on day one.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:39 AM, nessuno0505 said:

I don't think so: if you like russian style cockpit - due to the reasons they canceled bs3 (and what about mig-29 then?) the mi-24 will be one of the few chances to fly a russian attack helicopter, the existence of the Apache do not change this fact.

Yeah but let's be honest, the people who likes the russian cockpits more are a minority. If you want an attack helicopter (which the Mi-24 is at its core) you'll go for the Apache 90% of the time because it's just vastly more capable, there's no way you can look at it without arriving at that conclusion. So the Apache will take away a lot of sales from the Hind just because of that. Also there's people that is very disgusted with the russian cockpits, those will go for the Apache automatically too. So yeah, the Mi-24 at the moment is on life support. Only time will tell if the Apache has completely killed it or not

8 hours ago, Krez said:

I bought the BS2 expecting the added systems of the BS3. If I would have known the BS3 wasn't going to happen, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. I got it on sale so it doesn't rally matter. I spent more on lunch yesterday than I did buying the BS2.

Maybe you should have waited for the Apache lol

• Like 2

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Yeah, when the Apache comes out, I will be ditching the Ka-50 as an outdated 1970's level helicopter that never had much capability.

And SOOOO tired of that suicidal blade clash.  I have little to no interest in the Hind, as even the Ka-50 is more capable than it.

Edited by 3WA

17 hours ago, Krez said:

I'll be getting the Mi-24 on day one.

That's just dumb :doh:

Especially since the Hind is even less capable than the BS2 Ka-50.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Dont the vikhrs outrange the hellfires? I definitelly saw a video stating that vikhrs are faster, more accurate and have longer range. Sadly bs3 isnt coming, but the bs2 is still very capable, if only it would lock according to contrast then even aircraft should be scared of it.

No interest in the kiowa (ugly cockpit and not very capable), a bit of interest in the hind (nice cockpit but capabilty below ka50). Bo105 looks good too, the apache looks good and is capable. I guess its the only thing that can compete against bs3.

I dunno if they're objectively superior in those categories or not, looks like they're pretty damn close in every relevant category. The Vikhr's a bit faster but not a huge amount, similar range, similar weight, similar everything tbh.

I notice on a straight comparison the Hellfire is quite a bit fatter and shorter in dimensions, but don't figure that's really a significant factor aside from explaining why Hellfires mount in groups of four instead of six. It would imply a potentially longer burntime for the Vikhr (thus the higher speed?) vs a larger shaped charge on the Hellfire maybe?

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

3 hours ago, BranchPrediction said:

Dont the vikhrs outrange the hellfires?

Not by much but a bit, yep.  If they were able to fly a lofted trajectory then they would definitely outrange the hellfire.  They get to the target faster for sure.

3 hours ago, BranchPrediction said:

I definitelly saw a video stating that vikhrs are faster, more accurate and have longer range.

I don't see how they could possibly be more accurate.  

The Vikhr doesn't use the space for sensors that the Hellfire does, so it can add a bit more rocket/warhead instead.  It's faster, but it cannot fly smart trajectories.  Because it flies in a straight line and because it spirals to the target, it has little range advantage, but a huge speed (time to target) advantage.  Not sure what difference this makes in practice because you have to lase for the either TOF for the Vikhr, not so for the hellfire.  A swell, hellfire can be launched from behind cover with someone else (including ground troops, maybe even some high-flying AFAC) lasing.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

46 minutes ago, GGTharos said:

Not sure what difference this makes in practice because you have to lase for the either TOF for the Vikhr, not so for the hellfire.  A swell, hellfire can be launched from behind cover with someone else (including ground troops, maybe even some high-flying AFAC) lasing.

I use the Hellfire mod for Ka-50 because of the AI refusing to fire bug.  AI would fire on all targets with Hellfire instead of Vikhr so I put Hellfires on my wingman.

But when I tried them, I didn't have to lase them all the way to target.  I could change target and ripple it when the Hellfire starts to come down from upward trajectory.  I'm guessing this is incorrect?

17 hours ago, 3WA said:

And SOOOO tired of that suicidal blade clash.  I have little to no interest in the Hind, as even the Ka-50 is more capable than it.

It's definitely a think, but 99% of the time it happens when pushing limits you shouldn't in any helo. If ED models it fully, with all the ETL/transverse flow/RBS/LTE that the tail-rotored Apache should have, you won't find that you suffer imminent death from rotor intersection, but you'll have a whole lot else on your plate to deal with (/test patience, depending on how you feel).

On 1/10/2021 at 6:25 PM, Krez said:

If I would have known the BS3 wasn't going to happen, I probably wouldn't have picked it up

What did you want out of BS3 that's a deal-breaker? The exterior is still getting it's upgrade. The IGLAs would be a nice-to-have, but you have no radar, no RWR and at best a missile launch warning system, which may or may not work that well looking up through your rotors - so you'd usually be on the back foot. Nice to have teeth, but not your primary mission to hope the jet strays close enough to eat IGLA. And especially once they know you're a Ka-50 potentially with IGLAs they'll just stop coming in for a gun-run and use a missile that outranges you.

The missile warning system and automated DIRCMS would be cool, but don't think that would change your gameplay. You mention Mi-24 is day 1, cool, you clearly like it. You could practice those strafing runs with the Mi-8 in the meanwhile, but that has less power/agility, but you could also do those attack runs with a Ka-50 - more agile and faster power/climb and better sensors to find enemies (though still not FLIR).

From bits I've read, it seems Vihrs do outrange Hellfires a bit. Not sure that fully matters in DCS all the time as long as you have stand-off from whatever can shoot back, and can get a good spot within range. Both can melt most armours. Difference just being you get the ludicrously expensive (ie. you never get to carry/shoot them expensive) radar Hellfires, which we may or may not get, and the laser Hellfires can be buddy lased by other ground forces and Kiowas etc. So if it can do that, you can fire from relative safety. Then again if you can stay sub 10m AGL in DCS and outside AAA/TOW range you're pretty much immortal, so lofting less applicable for now. I think the Kh-25s should also be able to be laser from ground forces and/or be compatible with Su-25s, though I don't think that's in DCS atm.

Hellfires are at least x3 times more expensive, maybe more depending on source than Vikhrs. So yeah, capability wise it can do more, but at much greater cost. Same as Ka-52 and even more-so Ka-50 compared to Apache.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For Black Shark tutorials, visit my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-LgdvOGP3SSNUGVN95b8Bw