Is this normal?

Cpt Cuckoo

Decided to check the Task manager and noticed the high GPU and Memory usage. (It has 16GB RAM)

I haven't actually noticed poor performance or low FPS ever. Just wondered what this means and if I should take any actions.

DCS.jpg

Edited by Cpt Cuckoo
  • Like 1

Why on earth are you running three browsers at the same time as DCS ? turn them off 

• Like 3

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yeah.....I'm bad like that! ............I use 4 browsers loaded with tabs all the time. Especially when I am watching tutorials on different weapon systems. But this time I wasn't actually using DCS other than to demonstrate the GPU usage.  I guess I should try to turn them all off when flying a mission, though.

7 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Why on earth are you running three browsers at the same time as DCS ? turn them off 

You might also try picking just one, as each of them will have update services and other TSR code running in the background... same with your VPN.

I also suspect you have a bunch of stuff installed you don’t need advanced system care, almost certainly consumes more resources than it frees up etc... frankly I’d be tempted to clean install win 10 and see what that gave you... but you could spend some time cataloguing what’s installled and what costs you boot/cpu time etc...

your gpu usage is “good” , but again given your 1660ti and mobile cpu, you need to be careful with what’s running.

16gb is kind of the minimum ram, and 1660 is a low end GPU, but it all comes down to experience, and if you are happy.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

16gb is kind of the minimum ram, and 1660 is a low end GPU, but it all comes down to experience, and if you are happy.

I don't usually fly with the VPN or Paint.....this ScreenShot was quickly taken for demonstration purposes. There is not much difference with these things on or off anyway. However, I will be upgrading the RAM and have asked for some opinions on another threat about this. I was mostly worried about the GPU. But after doing a web search I read that the GPU is not a problem. I think the RAM might be though.

13 minutes ago, Cpt Cuckoo said:

I don't usually fly with the VPN or Paint.....this ScreenShot was quickly taken for demonstration purposes. There is not much difference with these things on or off anyway. However, I will be upgrading the RAM and have asked for some opinions on another threat about this. I was mostly worried about the GPU. But after doing a web search I read that the GPU is not a problem. I think the RAM might be though.

more there is a "shed load" of RAM that is being eaten by something else ...  look at task mgr again and then order it by memory usage (click on the bit that says Memory) it may give you a place to look to see which apps are consuming the most RAM because your active code is taking up about 6Gb meaning about 9Gb is being eaten by something else... might be wise to see what that is and doing some house keeping...

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 9:34 AM, Cpt Cuckoo said:

Decided to check the Task manager and noticed the high GPU and Memory usage. (It has 16GB RAM)

I haven't actually noticed poor performance or low FPS ever. Just wondered what this means and if I should take any actions.

Without too much jibba-jabba, YES, it's entirely normal for DCS to eat 16GB of RAM. Even if you have a graphics card with more than 8 GB of VRAM.

Because of that, lots of people are now building their rigs with 32 GB of RAM.

Try the Syria or Channel maps now that they're free to try. They're unreal--and will eat memory for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 11 GB on the graphics card is showing its limits (1080 Ti here), and it's only a matter of time before you need 64 GB on the board and a 16+ GB graphics card to play flight sims.

Which, if you ask me, is actually kinda cool 😍

AD

• Like 1

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!