What am I doing wrong.....?

markturner1960

Firstly, I have been conversing in several threads and gotten plenty of useful advice on setting up my G2. And I have managed to get it to a state where it works well and smoothly, which is great........However, and this is a big however, (especially compared to the experiences and performance claims I am seeing from people with very similar or identical set ups) I am pretty disappointed in the performance. Bear in mind my rig in 2D runs DCS at round 90 FPS at 3840 x 2160, with everything turned up in free flight mission.......it looks awesome and performs fantastically, so I know it’s well set up.....

So, In. VR, I am now set up where I can get a smooth panning over built up areas, and little or no stuttering, with acceptable visuals. Which is good, but to do this, I am running at pretty much minimum settings with everything ( see posted settings below). I have done all the registry and system tweaks and followed set up guides by Thud etc and spent two weeks tweaking and testing. What I have arrived at gives me the following performance: 

14- 18ms GPU frame time, solid orange, 10 -14ms CPU frame time, average FPS around 40 over Syria free flight mission. As mentioned, it’s pretty smooth and visuals acceptable, but could certainly be better in cockpit and looking at planes at distance, where they are always a blurry blob....This is what I would say is borderline acceptable....anything over 20 ms frame time gives me stutters and blurs on buildings etc when you look out the side of the canopy. This is a world away from for example the performance that BigNewey reports on his very similar set up (90 FPS!!!!) 

To generate that level of performance I have to run with the following settings: 

auto exec .cfg mod

registry hack multiple monitors Plus disable game DVR

Steam VR: General tab 90 hz, 2240 x 2192 50%.   Video tab advanced SS on, quality high,  per application sub tab: DCS  2240 x 2192 100% motion shooting force always on, legacy reproduction off. 

I will post my in game settings below. Sorry, it’s easier to upload pictures using Tapatalk than the usual way.....

c676511a5254bcd56e2af4596c56e433.jpg
755a74bae7f41eaed81f34f26f1f4a7d.jpg
62d324a392ab1410edd6d8aa9d0cf388.jpg
d084f31963f47713d1e3208a1a99b566.jpg

So I guess my question are not so much wha have I done wrong, as I have religiously followed all advice, rather is this the limit or performance ? 

I see other people running 100 & 150% SS, this is impossible for me, it simply puts my frame time into the red and the twenties and it becomes a blurry stutter mess. I wonder how people with lesser cards and CPU’s manage to make VR work at all, if I can only manage that kind of performance on what was up until a few months ago, a top end rig. 

As. PS, I have observed that setting the in App SS for DCS makes little difference - it’s all about the base steam VR SS percentage. I just DCS to 200% to see what happened and it made no difference to performance, maybe looked a little better, but if so, I as struggling to detect the improvement.......
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I think one of the main reasons for bad performance is visibility range. Bump that down to High or even Medium. In VR you won't notice that much of a difference. That setting is a GPU killer! 

Also you can try to experiment with Msaa and SS (after you lowered visibility range) . With SS bumped up you won't see a big difference between msaa on or off but the overall image is sharper. 

By the way: which GPU are you running? 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Thanks, that did help a lot.......medium is a good trade off. Now getting 8 - 12 average GPU frame time and it’s very smooth. Running a 2080ti. Which begs my original point, that surely I should not have to run at these reduced settings to get acceptable performance and graphics with that level of hardware? I am pleased I have arrived at a good place to enjoy the hardware, just disappointed I need to spend £1500 to improve it in any way beyond what are very low settings......

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Cool, you're welcome! Now, with 8 - 12ms you can try and bump up SS for some more eye candy and see if that works. 

Or you can turn terrain shadows to flat. Now starts the "back and forth" game, depending on your personal preference. Some people love to have shadows, some don't and rather turn up more SS instead. It's really an iteration of what works for you and what not. 

Yeah, VR together with simulation is more or less the worst hobby you can have money wise. You'll invest a lot and will never be 100% happy because it's so demanding.

But I couldn't and wouldn't go back! 😉

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

32 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Is the Nvidia Program Settings supposed to point to DCS_updater.exe?  Mine is pointing to DCS.exe.  Or does it matter?

yes it matters; it should point to DCS,exe these settings will only have any impact if DCS Updater is running... I'd also turn of MSAA, and global Cockpit illumination , and mirrors... 

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Have you tried some of the shader mods? That had a big positive impact on my system. 

I also noticed that for me it was better to turn the motion smoothing off. Now I can get 45 or above FPS in the instant action game (medium Georgian winter) for A10c-2. Even when flying low. I run a 8GB 2070 RTX. I guess this relates to my CPU needs to work harder to calculate the motion smoothing. 

I run high textures, high cockpit shadows, medium vis range, no MSAA, no terrain shadows and 16x AF. 

For VR I would love if they could make the cockpit crystal clear. I really hate that the MFDs, instruments and text are blurry unless I lean in. If I really crank up the SS the cockpit is readable, but that kills the fps as the entire game runs on high SS. Hopefully it should be possible to increase only the cockpit resolution. I run 1024, but cannot see any difference with 1024 every frame. 

Edited by Mavedick
  • Like 1

I am very interested in this topic.  I just got the G2 and I am not impressed given my system:

• EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra
  • Intel i7 107000k
  • 64 GB RAM

I am getting (at best) about 50FPS, but the frame-times are not great.  I am going to mess around with various settings later today to try and find the sweet spot.

I'm also in the process of tuning my system for my g2.

Everything in the cockpit is very readable, but I'm not really happy with what's outside. This is my first vr headset so perhaps my expectations were too high, but I can't really see a reason for far away stuff being blurry while stuff in the cockpit is very crisp.

Anyway, I haven't had the time to thoroughly test this, but I sacrificed some supersampling and added 2x in-game MSAA in combination with Nvidia control panel MFAA (multi frame AA), and I think it looked very promising.

It just dawned upon me that the correct way to tune this is probably to turn all the graphics settings all the way down, and then play with SS and AA until you're as happy as you're going to get with the clarity, and only then add eye candy until you can't keep your fps target.

I'm very interested in hearing what you guys think about MFAA, so please try it out if you have an Nvidia card.

In case anyone wants to know I'm running a 3080 and a 5600x.

Make sure you have have texture filtering quality set to high performance... it’s a very misunderstood setting...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Nvidia settings to performance and not High quality. Cheers Merry christmas

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Yes, it’s very complicated.....best to start low and work up as Katj said. I would not worry about how it looks far away, in. VR you just need the stuff around you smooth and as clear as you can, in real life, it’s usually difficult to see in the distance anyway due to haze etc.....

one thing I mentioned earlier in the thread that no one has commented on is the per app setting for DCS..... I now have this set at 200%  (!!!) with no noticeable performance effect..( also, not a very noticeable quality increase...some, but not loads) ..how is that? I understood it acts as a multiplier to the general setting? 

I also should have mentioned I run the shaders mod as well. 

A final tip - I altered the default VR camera position so I am slightly lower and nearer the gauges etc in the cockpit, it helps with the clarity.

Edited by markturner1960

6 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

Yes, it’s very complicated.....best to start low and work up as Katj said. I would not worry about how it looks far away, in. VR you just need the stuff around you smooth and as clear as you can, in real life, it’s usually difficult to see in the distance anyway due to haze etc.....

one thing I mentioned earlier in the thread that no one has commented on is the per app setting for DCS..... I now have this set at 200%  (!!!) with no noticeable performance effect..( also, not a very noticeable quality increase...some, but not loads) ..how is that? I understood it acts as a multiplier to the general setting? 

I also should have mentioned I run the shaders mod as well. 

A final tip - I altered the default VR camera position so I am slightly lower and nearer the gauges etc in the cockpit, it helps with the clarity.

The per app setting is a multiplier of what you have your global setting set at.

Now if your global is at 100% for the G2 and your per app setting is 200% that would be something else, as 100% is around 3172x3100 per eye. A crap load of pixels.

I run mine at 100%. It looks nice but I am most of time in reprojection, which is ok for me.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

If 200% doesn't change performance nor quality, I'd say you applied to wrong app.  You have to be running DCS, and then choose DCS from the drop down menu, and then change the per app resolution.

You're right, it's multiplier.  And always go by the resolution number.  100% is not same for everyone and will be confusing.

Resolution number you see in Per Application setting is the final resolution.  Multiplied by in-game PD.

Edited by Taz1004

Just to clarify the NVIDIA control panel settings:

Let the 3D application decide - The app / game will override NVIDIA control panel settings e.g. Both DCS World and NIVIDA control panel have settings for Anisotropic Filtering. Using this option, DCS Worlds's settings for AF will override NVIDIA control panel settings.

Use the advanced 3D image settings -  Here you take control of the settings via a pre-defined profile or you can create your own. Your selections will override NVIDIA control panel OR any DCS World settings depending on the selections you make.

Use my preference emphasising ... - Here NVIDIA control panel will override the above two, and will adjust the settings based on the slider choice. You can't tweak these settings, well not without messing with registry entries I think, something I wouldn't do.

When tweaking for VR performance you'll need to use "Use the advanced 3D image setting" as per BigNewy's Reverb G2 thread.

Edited by CoderX71

Ryzen 9 3900X @4.6Ghz | ASUS STRIX ROG 570-F Gaming | 32GB HyperX Predator HX432C16PB3AK2-16 DDR4-3200 | Corsair Force MP600 1TB (OS and Games) | MSI 3090 Gaming X Trio | HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

If 200% doesn't change performance nor quality, I'd say you applied to wrong app.  You have to be running DCS, and then choose DCS from the drop down menu, and then change the per app resolution.

You're right, it's multiplier.  And always go by the resolution number.  100% is not same for everyone and will be confusing.

Resolution number you see in Per Application setting is the final resolution.  Multiplied by in-game PD.

Hi Taz, are you saying this has to be done WHILE DCS is running ( ie through the menu using the controller and the system button?) I have been adjusting while DCS is off. If yes , that’s an important point that is not emphasised anywhere!!!

And I Presume that this only applies to the per app adjustment, as changing the general setting DOES affect things without the sim running. 

1 minute ago, markturner1960 said:

Hi Taz, are you saying this has to be done WHILE DCS is running ( ie through the menu using the controller and the system button?) I have been adjusting while DCS is off. If yes , that’s an important point that is not emphasised anywhere!!!

And I Presume that this only applies to the per app adjustment, as changing the general setting DOES affect things without the sim running. 

Yes and yes.

You also can register Standalone DCS in Steam as 3rd party game and have it show up in the settings.  Then you can choose DCS from drop down menu in Per Application without having it running but if you didn't do that, you have to run DCS, alt+tab to SteamVR settings, and make change.

Thaanks, So you mean if I dont have DCS showing as an app in the per app drop down, I can add it? I have already added DCS beta (Which is what I use) as a game in steam VR, so its always shown as an app in the per app dropdown. So I guess that means that I have been doing it correctly and don't need to worry about doing anything differently then....?

3 hours ago, CoderX71 said:

Just to clarify the NVIDIA control panel settings:

Let the 3D application decide - The app / game will override NVIDIA control panel settings e.g. Both DCS World and NIVIDA control panel have settings for Anisotropic Filtering. Using this option, DCS Worlds's settings for AF will override NVIDIA control panel settings.

Use the advanced 3D image settings -  Here you take control of the settings via a pre-defined profile or you can create your own. Your selections will override NVIDIA control panel OR any DCS World settings depending on the selections you make.

Use my preference emphasising ... - Here NVIDIA control panel will override the above two, and will adjust the settings based on the slider choice. You can't tweak these settings, well not without messing with registry entries I think, something I wouldn't do.

When tweaking for VR performance you'll need to use "Use the advanced 3D image setting" as per BigNewy's Reverb G2 thread.

H Coder,  where are these 3 options available in the nvidia control panel? I dont see these? (reference screen grab of my NVCP settings in the OP)

I also re read Bigneweys thread and could not see what you are referring to? sorry....and thanks for the input

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

Thaanks, So you mean if I dont have DCS showing as an app in the per app drop down, I can add it? I have already added DCS beta (Which is what I use) as a game in steam VR, so its always shown as an app in the per app dropdown. So I guess that means that I have been doing it correctly and don't need to worry about doing anything differently then....?

Seems like that's not working for me anymore.  I'd just do it by running DCS and alt-tab.  Especially since you said it doesn't do anything for you.

11 hours ago, dburne said:

The per app setting is a multiplier of what you have your global setting set at.

Now if your global is at 100% for the G2 and your per app setting is 200% that would be something else, as 100% is around 3172x3100 per eye. A crap load of pixels.

I run mine at 100%. It looks nice but I am most of time in reprojection, which is ok for me.

When I ran DCS this morning, it was at 100% in steam VR, so maybe the 200% setting I was experimenting with last night did not take for some reason. I am running at 74% (74 & 100) as reported in the fpsvr overlay. This is the best combo of smoothness and clarity for me. Cheers

The whole process is mucho complicated because you need to fiddle - at least potentially - with:

• NVidia Control Panel settings,
  • WMR Settings,
  • SteamVR Settings and
  • DCS Settings.

And because everyones' system is different... yeah. Complicated.

I am going through the same kind of read up, change settings, test as you. I currently got vaguely similar hardware as you Mark (R7-5800x, 2080Ti, 32GB fast memory, SSD) but much better frame rates by following BIGNEWY's settings and then turning up the SteamVR from BIG's supersample 54% to... uhh think about 80% from memory.

But I am waiting before really messing around and optimising for a new GPU: probably a 6900XT if I can get one. Failing that a 3080Ti or 3090. The next gen GPU should provide headroom for some more eye candy and maybe a slight increase in SteamVR supersample ration.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you set DCS MSAA to 2x, and then Nvidia Control Panel to 2x, it´s that redundant or both add up to 4x?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

21 minutes ago, Milou said:

The whole process is mucho complicated because you need to fiddle - at least potentially - with:

• NVidia Control Panel settings,
  • WMR Settings,
  • SteamVR Settings and
  • DCS Settings.

And because everyones' system is different... yeah. Complicated.

I am going through the same kind of read up, change settings, test as you. I currently got vaguely similar hardware as you Mark (R7-5800x, 2080Ti, 32GB fast memory, SSD) but much better frame rates by following BIGNEWY's settings and then turning up the SteamVR from BIG's supersample 54% to... uhh think about 80% from memory.

But I am waiting before really messing around and optimising for a new GPU: probably a 6900XT if I can get one. Failing that a 3080Ti or 3090. The next gen GPU should provide headroom for some more eye candy and maybe a slight increase in SteamVR supersample ration.

So what settings do you have differently from mine?  I have my frames capped at 45 by forcing motion projection always on, but even with my very dialed back general settings I  can only just about keep frames around this. Everything else like shadows, draw distance, Anisotropic, textures, I have at low settings.

I copied Bigneweys settings exactly and could not get anywhere near 90 fps.

70% is a far as I can go without tipping it over into stutters and juddering when panning around.