Free to play period...great. But how?

MaxMorlock

Dear DCS Pilots,

Please be prepared for a really dumb question:

How can I try out various planes in the current free to play period?

I started DCS as usual (Steam, MS Windows) and was hoping that I simply click on the plane I want to try out. And then, after downloading, I am able to use it during the current testing period. This does not work.

Can you give me any advice?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Sheriff88 said:

I reinstalled  DCS from web site and now I have to install again from STEAM!??

If you're looking for help - a little more information may be helpful as to what you mean.

Hazarding a guess: If you've purchased through steam I believe you need to install via steam.

Otherwise, you can tranfer your steam purchases through to a DCS account and use the DCS direct install. (It's a one way transfer, however most people I know end up having only the DCS account and don't worry with steam - there are more specials (and they last longer) with the DCS non-steam account).

There may be one way to 'hack' around by copying DCS files into the steam directory and steam detecting them and only downloading 'missing' files, but that is beyond my understanding as I don't use steam with DCS.

If none of the above is relevant can you please provide more detailed information as to the problem and the solution you are looking for and someone may be able to help.

For DCS standalone I install trial modules using this

open command line in bin folder,

write command

DCS_updater.exe install [module name*]

uninstall using 

DCS_updater.exe uninstall [module name*]

*module name has to be EXACTLY like its given in the table in that link couple posts down.

Edited by The_Tau

For DCS standalone I install trial modules using this

open command line in bin folder,
write command
DCS_updater.exe install [module name*]
uninstall using 
DCS_updater.exe uninstall [module name*]

*module name has to be EXACTLY like its given in the table in that link couple posts down.
Or use the excellent app from Skatezilla, and do it in a GUI.
But the trial period ended on the 5th didn't it? And the sale ends today.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Or use the excellent app from Skatezilla, and do it in a GUI.

This one: https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/134493-the-dcs-updater-gui-utility/

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

• 3 weeks later...