VirPil helicopter collective controls

Sokol1_br

6 hours ago, 98abaile said:

Just got my shipping notice.

What was you order date.?  Just curious where I might be in the queue.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

I'll be interested in how you think it works, epically the Throttle.  The more I look at the potions (far back on the collective) the more I think it won't be much use for manual control.

Time, use, and reviews will tell the story.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

first usage impressions after flying the shark, huey, and hind around for about 30 minutes... helicopters all weekend.

30deg cam is installed by default, i'm gonna switch that out for at least the 40deg. still need to tune the friction a bit to find right balance for the lever. and/or maybe add a small counterweight to back of rotor base.

throttle doesn't seem in too bad of a position since (at least i) won't use it too frequently during flight. it would be better if it was up next to the grip but not a huge deal for me.

i wasn't sure if the idle/off button for the twist throttle would be an actual button, but it is. cool having that mapped for the huey. a little odd for the hind, where have to use that button to get to max throttle by default if axis calibrated where it goes past lock to allow engine shutoff with the huey. can address that with reduced curve saturation in hind. throttle lock switch does not throw a button.

movement feels great. thought i might be adding some nyogel (like i do for everything with an axis) but after using it i don't see the need for now. nice rubber feel for the bottom of the sharka grip. everything with the collective and grip has at least met expectations.

only issue i've had is i haven't been able to get the control panel #1 i got with it to slave to the rotor base, where (afaik) they should be able to operate as one device.

On 8/5/2021 at 3:51 AM, AKA_Clutter said:

What was you order date.?  Just curious where I might be in the queue.

I ordered June 1st, received the dispatch mail today, Fedex ETA next Wednesday

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

So, I received my VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base + ALPHA-L grip today :cheer3nc:

Installed everything and it works great! YAY!

But... I found that in DCS all my HOTAS control binds have been erased! 😨

For my helo modules I don't really mind, as I needed to re-bind them anyways to my new collective. But I'm less happy that the same has happened to all my fixed wing modules...

Kind of a long shot, but is it still possible to retrieve my control settings? Or should I plan to pull an overnighter in order to re-bind all my modules again?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

30 minutes ago, sirrah said:

So, I received my VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base + ALPHA-L grip today :cheer3nc:

Installed everything and it works great! YAY!

But... I found that in DCS all my HOTAS control binds have been erased! 😨

For my helo modules I don't really mind, as I needed to re-bind them anyways to my new collective. But I'm less happy that the same has happened to all my fixed wing modules...

Kind of a long shot, but is it still possible to retrieve my control settings? Or should I plan to pull an overnighter in order to re-bind all my modules again?

If you have a copy of you Saved Games folder somewhere it should have them.  You might poke around in your current folder and see if there are anything.

I wonder why it would erase all your key bindings.  That is strange and ED/Virpil should protect against that.

Looking forward to your review and comments on how the TEC Plus Base is.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

On 8/11/2021 at 4:31 PM, AKA_Clutter said:

If you have a copy of you Saved Games folder somewhere it should have them.  You might poke around in your current folder and see if there are anything.

I wonder why it would erase all your key bindings.  That is strange and ED/Virpil should protect against that.

Looking forward to your review and comments on how the TEC Plus Base is.

Not sure why, or what happened, but the next time I started DCS, all my binds were back... Probably just a mess up, or case of me being silly again 😛

Anyways, I've done some extensive playing (mainly Hind and Huey) and... well, I must admit, I'm probably an easily satisfied customer... but I love it!

As said before I purchased the VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with ALPHA-L grip.

The entire set looks and breaths quality. So far I only used TM products (Cougar and Warthog), but this Virpil product is at least of same quality and probably better. At start I somewhat missed the metal feel on the ALPHA grip, but apart from an occasional slightly sweaty left hand, it's not too big of a deal.

The throttle, although used pretty much only before take off and before shutdown, just adds that little bit of immersion. That said, the Huey still requires manual input (either by mouse or page up key) to get it out of cut off position.

The base in general looks and feels very solid. I installed the 40deg cam, but I think I'll go back to the 30deg one, as the total travel is not really ergonomic on my setup. I didn't really notice any sticktion, nor any difference in physical movement friction along the travel (then again, I don't really taste the difference between Pepsi and Coca Cola.. so yeah.. maybe I'm just weird)

The ALPHA-L grip (even though not metal) is fantastic. It has a million buttons (35 if I counted correctly), so I think it'll do good on the Apache. I definitely have buttons, and the twist axis, to spare at the moment. (I do use Pointctrl though)

All in all, I'm a very satisfied customer.

Will post some pictures of my setup soon.

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

Thanks for the information.  Good to hear that all the key binds came back/were still there.

Looking forward to get my "Its in the mail" notice.

Also looking forward to see pictures of your setup.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

15 hours ago, AKA_Clutter said:

Thanks for the information.  Good to hear that all the key binds came back/were still there.

Looking forward to get my "Its in the mail" notice.

Also looking forward to see pictures of your setup.

I posted a thread about my entire setup here (including a picture of houw I mounted the VIRPIL collective):

Edited by sirrah
  • Like 1

System specs:

Thanks.  Nice setup. Mine is miles away from that.  I only have the HOTAS, rudder peadl;s and PointCTRL.  That and my setup is used for gaming as well as all ohter things.

I FINALLY got my shiping notification today.  7 more days.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

OK, follow-up question.  I see that you have the Cougar stick and throttle setup.  How do you get them to interface with games/DCS  Also does TARGET see them?

----------------

AKA_Clutter

27 minutes ago, AKA_Clutter said:

OK, follow-up question.  I see that you have the Cougar stick and throttle setup.  How do you get them to interface with games/DCS  Also does TARGET see them?

Just sent you a PM, to not "Clutter" 😉 this thread with off topic.

System specs:

7 hours ago, sirrah said:

Just sent you a PM, to not "Clutter" 😉 this thread with off topic.

Got it, and thanks much!

----------------

AKA_Clutter

The good news - I have my Rotor Plus base with Ka-50 grip.

The bad - it's not compatible with my Monstertech chair mount system. Now comes the thumb-twiddling while I wait for the collective mount addon to arrive.

1 hour ago, Wychmaster said:

To everybody that owns the Plus version:

I just created a feature request in the huey forum that you might want to support:

That would be great, for now I've just mapped the idle button to throttle up, so I can at least get the thing started without having to go to the keyboard.

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

On 8/22/2021 at 11:32 AM, Wychmaster said:

To everybody that owns the Plus version:

I just created a feature request in the huey forum that you might want to support:

Supported your wish, but I don't think anyone from ED will see this...

System specs:

5 hours ago, sirrah said:

Supported your wish, but I don't think anyone from ED will see this...

I too supported this.

Is there a way to get it noticed by ED.  Even so, I think it would be very low on their 'to do list'.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

OK, got mine in yesterday and now have it installed to the chair and setup in the Virpil software.  DCS does see it.

I have only tried to test a few times and am missing something.  I have the TCS Rotor Plus base with the Sharka 50 head.

I have tried in the Mi-8MTV2.  

With hot starts, the engines die just after unpausing the game.  If I do a cold start every thing seems to work fine.

Do I need to do something with the idle.  Thanks.

----------------

AKA_Clutter

OK, got mine in yesterday and now have it installed to the chair and setup in the Virpil software.  DCS does see it.

I have only tried to test a few times and am missing something.  I have the TCS Rotor Plus base with the Sharka 50 head.

With hot starts, the engines die just after unpausing the game.  If I do a cold start every thing seems to work fine.

What axis have you mapped?
Twist throttle?
Maybe bring up the controls indicator to see if the sim reflects the positions of the all of the axis? Just a hunch. Sometimes in hotstart, I have to nudge the twist throttle a little, so the SIM catches up.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, AKA_Clutter said:

did you map the twist to throttle? is it inverted? is another device mapped to throttle? fyi hind grip rotates opposite from huey. twist out for max throttle in huey, twist in for hind.

• Like 1