ASPJ ECM jammer

JRM

So when this feature is gona come up? In the free trial im going to fly the F18 and the Mirago 2000-C, right know im willing to pay for the Mirage but if the ASPJ ECM jammer is released on the F18 ill will definitly go for this one.

• Like 2

The ASPJ was in the list of features that were supposed to be delivered in 2020, so I will very cautiously theorize that it's not that far away.

Also, regarding the part that it makes you extremely visible on enemy radars, that's only due to the fact that DCS uses only noise jamming. You're not jamming a radar, you're just blasting noise for all to see. Real effects are more varied than that, such as generating false target returns etc, based on how your radar is being jammed.

The Mirage's radar in DCS actually shows some interesting effects when encountering a jamming target. It would be nice if other devs also tried to do something like that.

Edited by Harker
  • Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On 12/22/2020 at 5:40 PM, Foka said:

Well, A-10C is 10 years old and still has no working ECM, so... Two weeks.

?!

The A-10C ECM is working ever since the module was released!

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

9 hours ago, QuiGon said:

The A-10C ECM is working ever since the module was released!

Never noticed any change in SAMs behaviour or range with it. Also watched some tests on YT and there was difference between on/off ECM.

Blinking controls telling ECM is working is not enough for me.

9 hours ago, Foka said:

Never noticed any change in SAMs behaviour or range with it. Also watched some tests on YT and there was difference between on/off ECM.

Blinking controls telling ECM is working is not enough for me.

It definitely works against human players and I'm quite sure it also reduces the engagement range for certain SAM systems.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Well I have seen (on more occasions than I could count) that when fired upon by a SAM, engaging the jammer on the A10C I/II makes the incoming missile go "stupid" almost immediately.  Of course, you still need to maneuver, as it isn't a magic "now you can't see me" tool.  I appreciate what the person did for testing in the video, but those are not my experiences.  SAM1 and SAM2 make a difference, depending on the threat.  AAA definitely makes a difference (although this is the least concerning of the radar guided surface to air threats).  As for air to air threat, I engage the jammer but not sure the effectiveness of that portion - I'm lucky to fly in a server where actual CAP cover is a thing.  Best defense against a surface to air missile is still to "drive them into the ground" - in my opinion.  But we've all got opinions, like another thing.  Happy Holidays everybody.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

10 hours ago, LazyBoot said:

Some testing seems to contradict your statement about sams

https://youtu.be/BmRfDxT_yv0

This test lets much to be desired...

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2020 at 5:06 PM, JRM said:

So when this feature is gona come up? In the free trial im going to fly the F18 and the Mirago 2000-C, right know im willing to pay for the Mirage but if the ASPJ ECM jammer is released on the F18 ill will definitly go for this one.

See here:

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

Finalising this fantastic module is one of our top-priorities and our goal is to have the project out of Early Access by the end of the 1st quarter. In January, we will be adding new functions for expendable countermeasures, Electronic Attack (EA), radar jamming effects

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

This Hornet ASPJ seems like it goes a bit beyond how current jammers in DCS work. It seems to acutally break the lock of the SA-6 instead of just reducing its lock on range and the fact that it renders your radar unusable when the jammer is active is also quite interesting.

Tornado3 small.jpg

2 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

This Hornet ASPJ seems like it goes a bit beyond how current jammers in DCS work. It seems to acutally break the lock of the SA-6 instead of just reducing its lock on range and the fact that it renders your radar unusable when the jammer is active is also quite interesting.

I'm curious as to whether or not the fact the radar becomes unusable is correct or not. It contradicts every reference we've got over the last 20 years or so - sim or real world docs.....

The limited real documentation available on the Hornet's ECM systems make no reference to INOP radar during XMIT use. (They do in fact make reference to a unique AUDIO warning cues available in REC mode  - doesn't look like we're getting that.)

As a Self Protection Jammer I wouldn't expect it's use to completely negate most of your offensive capability. 

Seems odd for a fighters jammer, probably correct though for a dedicated ECM aircraft like EF-111 or EA-6B.

1 minute ago, AvroLanc said:

I'm curious as to whether or not the fact the radar becomes unusable is correct or not. It contradicts every reference we've got over the last 20 years or so - sim or real world docs.....

The limited real documentation available on the Hornet's ECM systems make no reference to INOP radar during XMIT use. (They do in fact make reference to a unique AUDIO warning cues available in REC mode  - doesn't look like we're getting that.)

As a Self Protection Jammer I wouldn't expect it's use to completely negate most of your offensive capability. 

Seems odd for a fighters jammer, probably correct though for a dedicated ECM aircraft like EF-111 or EA-6B.

Indeed, I'm also wondering about that 🤔

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team
52 minutes ago, AvroLanc said:

Hi,

this correct as is based on actual reference documents for the Hornet ASPJ

thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

IIRC, the Mirage has a similar issue.  The jammer can overpower it's own radar so you have different settings.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

Turning off radar seems logical since IRL areas protected by SAMs and fighters are separate to avoid frindly fire. So if you are locked by SAM, you don't have to worry about fighters. But it doesn't work like that in DCS.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Foka said:

Turning off radar seems logical since IRL areas protected by SAMs and fighters are separate to avoid frindly fire. So if you are locked by SAM, you don't have to worry about fighters. But it doesn't work like that in DCS.

What if you're committed to a bomb run using the Air to Surface radar?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvroLanc said:

What if you're committed to a bomb run using the Air to Surface radar?

Or supporting a sparrow against an enemy.

I don't think ED got it wrong, maybe there is an option for selecting this behavior but won't be modeled due to restrictions.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

From my military experiences (early '70s) the most protected stuff was underwater acoustics (sonar-buoys and subs) and electronics (radio comms and radar). I'm sure a civilian version of a military combat simulator will not have any of that correctly (accurately) simulated. We're going to get an estimation (which may or may not be how it really is.)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...