Making the Plunge

The7thS0N

This sale is making me finally invest in DCS. I am planning to buy the following:

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

DCS: Supercarrier

DCS: Persian Gulf Map

Being new to DCS and only have about 10 hours in the Free portion... is there anything I should be aware of as far as the above? Do these go well together? Are there other modules I should consider for starting out? 

Thanks!!!

Edited by The7thS0N

You should be fine with those, they are made for each other, but it is fair to mention that you can get by with only the F-18, since a functional carrier (not as detailed & no deck crew though) is built in to the free version, and you have the large expanse of the Black Sea to place it on.  

The AV-8 is also a good fit for Naval operations, perhaps not on the Supercarrier itself of course.

FC3 is fairly cheap too and will give you a number of aircraft including the Russian/Chinese Carrier borne aircraft to a similar standard as the SU25-T supplied in the free version.

The JF-17 is a good buy too, being very complete already, even though it is still Early Access.

3 hours ago, The7thS0N said:

This sale is making me finally invest in DCS. I am planning to buy the following:

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet

DCS: Supercarrier

DCS: Persian Gulf Map

Being new to DCS and only have about 10 hours in the Free portion... is there anything I should be aware of as far as the above? Do these go well together? Are there other modules I should consider for starting out? 

Thanks!!!

That is an excellent base to start from. Well chosen OP.

537 Mongo
CO vVF-161 Fightin' Stingrays
Check us out on the web!

Yeah, those definitely go together. Proper carrier landings are challenging and a lot of fun. The f-18 is a solid aircraft to start on, it can do many roles.

Modules

Combined Arms, Super Carrier, A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, F-14, ,F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, P-51, Su-25, Su-27, MiG-21, MiG-29, Ajs-37, UH-1H, Ka-50, Sa-342

Terrains

Nevada Test and Training Range, The Persian Gulf, Normandy 1944, Syria

The F-18 is fantastic, and the Persian Gulf map is a very good map. The Supercarrier is nice, I've had it since it came out, but if you're not sure you'll use it to its full interactive potential, you can get by with a normal free in-game carrier and use the cash for another plane or map. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't buy it, just as long as you know you can still do some carrier action for free. 

You must get the A-10A. It's almost free ($7.50), super easy to use, has a huge A2G payload, and you get to BRRRRRTTTT! with the 30mm cannon. You just have to have it. It's one of the best parts of DCS.

A good thing to do would be to watch some reviews on the Grim Reapers youtube channel. They review everything DCS. Some people don't like GR, and that's fine, but I find the reviews and tutorials really helpful. 

One thing about this review, he makes the F-18 look super complicated, and it is. But you can have a lot of fun with it without learning the whole thing. Just know that this is a serious study level plane and if you intend to learn it all, it will take a looooong time.

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

• 2 weeks later...

To amend slightly what Beirut said about the A-10:
They're 100% right, the A-10 is a huge amount of fun and if that's all your in  it for then the A-10A is a good choice. Having said that though, if you're in it for the systems as well as the fun, and if you're getting an A-10 anyway, get the A-10C Warthog at a minimum. It's full fidelity like the Hornet. It's also the second oldest module in DCS but one the most involved from a systems perspective and it's still receiving some support in the form of updated cockpit modeling/textures, updated sounds, etc.

If you have the capital though, I'd heavily encourage getting the A-10C II Tank Killer. It's the newest iteration of the A-10 in DCS, has an integrated HMCS and is receiving the lions share of continued development from ED's A-10 team. 

The A-10A is fun, but it's an FC3 aircraft so it doesn't have as highly detailed a flight model, it doesn't have a clickable cockpit meaning more mapping of controls to your HOTAS that you wouldn't otherwise have to map and while it can carry most of the same weapons as the A-10C, things like JDAM's and laser rockets are absent. Also, the A-10C II has almost double the countermeasure capacity of either the A or the Original A-10C module and its engine model actually performs where the IRL A-10C's engines perform to (or at least as close as ED can get without violating OPSEC rules). 

I'm not saying you have to go one way or the other though, just offering another perspective.

537 Mongo
CO vVF-161 Fightin' Stingrays
Check us out on the web!