Seeing slant range on TGP

razorseal

How can I view the range of a target with the TGP? Say I pick an object and start tracking area/point or just aiming at a spot on ground. laser is armed. now I want to get the range to it (Slant range I guess) How do I view this range?

Only way I sort of figured it out is with mavericks... it will give me range starting at around 20 miles I think. But what if I'm just trying to get a range?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, razorseal said:

Can you explain what the INS B or FCR R are?

interesting it doesn't show on the TGP.

B means Barometric altitude ranging. The mission computer uses altitude and trigonometry to calculate slant range. 

R means radar, although I believe 'F' would be the correct syntax in the Viper. F for FCR means the radar is 'locked' on to the target and providing a direct slant range measurement. It also indicates AGR ranging, while not 'locked' it shines a ranging beam like a torchlight. In both cases we need A/G radar.

In any case, the exact ranging methods arn't yet implemented, and the HUD symbology isn't complete yet. 

The TGP will give a range next to T in the lower left, you need to be in Area or Point track. It updates when you fire the Laser. It doesn't show decimals above 10nm and the text is tiny.

Edited by AvroLanc