VSN Lockheed F-80C Shooting Star

Hawkeye60

Hi guys - I'm a noob so maybe I'm missing something. I successfully installed to original F-80C mod and the B-29 also. Following the descriptions I attempted to install the F-80/F-86 mod using the convention like this:

Custom Aircraft are typically installed to

\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\YOURMODNAMEHERE

For Example C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\A10C

But it doesn't work - could someone dumb it down and show me the file path exactly? Thanks in advance.

21 minutes ago, Estnische said:

could someone dumb it down and show me the file path exactly?

/saved games/dcs/mods/aircraft/vsn-F80 ... do not use program files

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Hell! I got myself in a real mess. I was accidentally trying to install my original F-80C mod in the main folder - no wonder it wouldn't work!

I took it all out and started again. The F-80/F-86 files DO in fact go into the program files - the two parts go into the Core Mod and Mod folders for the F-86. No lockouts.

Sorry to everyone, especially Hawkeye. 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi,

Just wanted to report that this Mod is still working fine on the latest DCS 2.8:

PO2cvHo.jpg

Edit: The latest version of the Mod also includes an RF-80A variant:

DFqcQbd.jpg

The chilean livery that @Urbi graciously created for me, is still working too:

Ly86ISV.jpg

ltWpONT.jpg

The cockpit that the mod uses is the one of the A-10A .. but it doesnt bother me because on my missions I fly the F-86F and the F-80 is used for background AI missions and works fine in that role.

Thanks so much, to @cdpkobra, @Hawkeye60 and @Urbi for creating this Mod ... it's a must have for Mig-15 and F-86 missions, along with @DOL's Tu-4  🙂

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

3 minutes ago, Urbi said:

Hello Rudel_chw! I don't know if it's still Santa Claus. I have the mod of the F-86 and have made the F-80C and RF-80A flyable with the cockpit of the F-86. copy the content of the zip into the main folder of the VSN_F-80C. the avionics remain the same as the A-10A with number 17 in the entry.lua. the folder VOIP_Radios is necessary due to my entry in entry.lua. unfortunately not clickable.  

edit: where is the zip file?

thanks a lot for this … will try it tonight 👍 and then let you know how it worked on my DCS 😇

Edited by Rudel_chw

3 minutes ago, Urbi said:

I had selected your contribution above quote and the inserted zip landed right there. open above.

😯 ahh … ok, I see it now ☺️ thanks a lot, will try it asap.

1 hour ago, Rudel_chw said:

😯 ahh … ok, I see it now ☺️ thanks a lot, will try it asap.

Just give it a quick fly and it seems to work very well .. pity that some instruments dont work, like the mach meter, the direction indicator and others .. but overall it is fun to fly it 🙂

ITNEn5l.jpg

iTBjB95.jpg

Nest regards and thanks again 🙂

18 minutes ago, spud3030 said:

Could you do the F-84 as well, please? 

already done 😍

s6VHQFf.jpg

@Rudel_chw

Thank you for the kind words.

But I wish to clear up any misconception about my involvement with this mod.

I had zero part in its development.

That honor is all the VSN teams.

And Urbi of course for his contributions.

My part was to ask for permission to start a dedicated thread,

and ask for a template to be provided.

My feeling was with this in place, the talented

artists and skinners would work their magic, and give

us a great selection of skins, all in one place.

The link for this, and The VSN Northrop Grumman EA-6B Prowler

Which I also posted for the very same reason,

can still be found in Razors original thread.

His links will direct you to the latest builds from the team.

It seems I was correct with the Prowler!

This became a instant hit!

And skins began to appear like Christmas morn!

So thanks for posting the livery links!

One Stop Shopping!

Cheers!

Have a great Hoilday!

• Like 2

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

On 12/12/2022 at 1:00 AM, Rudel_chw said:

Just give it a quick fly and it seems to work very well .. pity that some instruments dont work, like the mach meter, the direction indicator and others .. but overall it is fun to fly it 🙂

ITNEn5l.jpg

iTBjB95.jpg

Nest regards and thanks again 🙂

would be cool to have this option also for the F-84 - any chance? 

3 hours ago, Urbi said:

Hi Guys ! since there is no separate thread for the F-84G I will leave this little update in this one. Included are the use of the F-86 cockpit and a change to the main textures. The VSN_F84G.zip in the texture folder no longer contains bmp and png textures, all are converted to the dds format and contain the necessary mips. I also removed the roughmet textures and replaced them with spec. these specs are part of the psd in the paintkit with a group. the spec contains a neutral status. For the two included liveries, one original FS390 and another number FS391, a roughmet is included for each, which has been adapted for the numbers, colors and symbols so that they do not have the same shine as that of the fuselage. Good flight.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kyny9umw4egi47/YSN_F84G_F-86 Cockpit.zip?dl=0

Awesome! Thanks a lot

4 minutes ago, Fab8ball said:

Awesome! Thanks a lot

Hi Urbi, would be fantastic to have also the following livery, any chance?

mm51-16746-aeronautica-militare-italian-air-force-republic-f-84g-thunderjet_PlanespottersNet_1212121_b39f864d2a_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Urbi said:

Hello Rudel_chw!
I didn't like the textures of the Chilean F-80C. due to the presence of normal textures, the lines and rivets are emphasized too strongly. here are the revised liveries.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/spp5qwqqpugt1a4/Chile F-80C.zip?dl=0

Thank you so much 🙏 you have made my day 🙂 ... just tried it and it looks gorgeous, I will use it on my South Atlantic missions 👍

O2Orfv5.jpg

5 hours ago, Urbi said:

Hi Guys ! since there is no separate thread for the F-84G I will leave this little update in this one. Included are the use of the F-86 cockpit and a change to the main textures. 

Thanks a lot for doing this improvement, will try it soon:

7mt14Ml.jpg

PO7WyIA.jpg

🙂

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

same problem. I think the DDS files need to be updated.

PC specs:

Intel Core i7-13700K [Raptor Lake 3.4GHz Sixteen-Core LGA 1700] (stock clock)/64.0 GB RAM/RTX 3080 GPU (stock clock)/Windows 10 Home/SSD Drives/T.Flight HOTAS X/HP Reverb G2

This issue was reported by Urbi.

His fix,

open each file in paint.net

Save as DDS

This should fix them

Something changed in how the sim reads the texture files in a recent patch

This fix should work with any mods with this issue.

Be sure to download the latest Paint.net version

It was up-dated recently.

• Thanks 1

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."