Looking for a step by step guide to move DCS to another SSD

I know this has been asked and discussed many times, but my forum search still doesn't seem to properly work, so I can't find anything.

As many here, I'm having space issues on my current pc. (500GB for both my OS and DCS ain't enough no more)

I was planning on getting this SSD

Can anyone tell me step by step (layman here), what I need to do to move my DCS install from it's current SSD to the new one? Or maybe point me out to a guide.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ No war today... the enemy just called in sick ~ GUMMBAH

1 hour ago, Maggot said:

If you have space to keep the base game, it’s easy just to move the maps to another disk, using the windows command ”mklink /j”. The maps are what takes up most of the space. That’s how I do it at least.

Thanks Maggot. Sounds like an easy solution. Though, could you expand your method a little bit please?

I'm not familiar with using "mylink/j". In fact, I have no idea what it means 🤦‍♂️.

I assume this method won't cause issues when updating DCS (the DCS installer will look and install updates in the correct new folder?)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- HP Reverb v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

Asus Z370-E - 8700K@5G_delidded - 32GB - 1080GTX-Ti EK-waterblock - 1x 960Evo 250GB - 3x Samsung 850/860Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 2x Seagate 2TB - 32GB PageFile - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Win10Pro64 

16 minutes ago, BitMaster said:

Hmm... I was kinda hoping this would be easier. Like cut and paste the whole install directory to the new location and then run repair or something..

System specs:

I recently moved my complete DCS folder from one 256 GB SSD to a 512 GB one. If I remember correctly I just copy and pasted it, ran a repair and that´s it. The only thing that changed was the drive letter. What I have manually adapted were the shortcuts I have in the Windows Start menu. I did not delete the original DCS just to be on the safe side. I renamed it to be sure the copied DCS is now the one that runs and finally removed it when I was at the point I was sure it worked.

I guess above guide from Bitmaster shows you, how to link part of you installation to another drive. If you buy a new SSD and completely want to move it, you should not need it.

Xoxen

• Like 1

Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z-97 Pro Gamer, 32 GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400, Asus GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Hotas Warthog + 7cm extension + Delta Sim´s Slew Mod + Sahaj´s Green Spring, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals

2 hours ago, xoxen said:

I recently moved my complete DCS folder from one 256 GB SSD to a 512 GB one. If I remember correctly I just copy and pasted it, ran a repair and that´s it. The only thing that changed was the drive letter. What I have manually adapted were the shortcuts I have in the Windows Start menu. I did not delete the original DCS just to be on the safe side. I renamed it to be sure the copied DCS is now the one that runs and finally removed it when I was at the point I was sure it worked.

I guess above guide from Bitmaster shows you, how to link part of you installation to another drive. If you buy a new SSD and completely want to move it, you should not need it.

Xoxen

Thanks xoxen!

I rather have my DCS install all together on one drive, instead of "fragmented". But that's just a silly (no real reason) personal preference

Gonna try your method :thumbup:

System specs:

The repair has to be started from the new drive, it must be in the folder where the dcs.exe is located.

• Thanks 1

Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z-97 Pro Gamer, 32 GB G.Skill Trident X DDR3-2400, Asus GTX 1080Ti ROG Strix OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Hotas Warthog + 7cm extension + Delta Sim´s Slew Mod + Sahaj´s Green Spring, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals